Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: BlackVue DR550GW with Rear Camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: BlackVue DR550GW with Rear Camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reviewed: BlackVue DR550GW with Rear Camera Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com

Earlier this year we reviewed BlackVue’s DR500 drive recorder and we were very impressed. A sleek, GPS equipped, HD camera that also added WiFi for easy access to live video and review of recorded video files. You can read that review here.

Now BlackVue have gone one better and released the DR550 which shares a similar specification to the DR500, including the GPS and WiFi, and adds a second remote camera that can provide full coverage of the rear view.

The DR550 looks almost identical to its predecessor, the only difference being a socket on the side into which the cable from the rear camera connects. Otherwise the mounting, SD card slot and other features are the same.

Read the full review here.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking of buying one of these video gizmos for a while now, like the look of this one must say.
Can you increase the size of the SD card though, or did I miss it.
I see that the viewing software is on the installed SD card, can that be moved or is it copy protected etc.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Been thinking of buying one of these video gizmos for a while now, like the look of this one must say.
Can you increase the size of the SD card though, or did I miss it.
I see that the viewing software is on the installed SD card, can that be moved or is it copy protected etc.

oh yes, it uses standard microSD and you can install larger cards if you wish. You can also disable audio recording and reduce quality to squeeze more files onto a card. I've turned audio off.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Darren,

Think I have just bought my Christmas present for myself. Smile
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Still no 64gig sd? Reply with quote

If like me you are out driving most of the week the 32gig SD card is to small by the time I get home from a 2 day trip I find it has started to over wright the 1st days recordings.

Would like to have seen the use of the 64gig SD cards and now with 2 cameras I do not thing it would work well with users that are away from home for more than a day so I can not see this working for me,

2xHD 400 and still looking to upgrade.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Still no 64gig sd? Reply with quote

TieJustice wrote:
If like me you are out driving most of the week the 32gig SD card is to small by the time I get home from a 2 day trip I find it has started to over wright the 1st days recordings.

But surely the whole point of these is to record a crash or other incident? You'd know when one of these occurred and could then use the wifi feature to make a copy of the file to your smartphone for safe keeping?
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've the BlackVue cameras mounted on my car for well over 18 months, and can honestly say this it has been a well worth investment - Having been the middle car in a 3 car shunt and then been able to present the films to my insurance claims team - there was no argument when it can down to who to blame, and it also helped speed up the claim process
Very happy with the investment - might not be the ones the review is about but the DR300G and the DR400HD are just as good and do what they are supposed to do.

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Still no 64gig sd? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
TieJustice wrote:

But surely the whole point of these is to record a crash or other incident? You'd know when one of these occurred and could then use the wifi feature to make a copy of the file to your smartphone for safe keeping?

18 months ago I received an NIP through the post accusing me of being involved in an accident, which I knew nothing about. On further investigation, neither had I been at the scene of the accident, but I did go through an ANPR camera fairly close by. The police took the partial plate reported, added 2 & 2 & wrongly came up with my registration number. It took 6 months of arguing, letters, photographs & an engineers to report before both the police & my insurance conceded my innocence, something a Dash Cam could've instantly proved, provided I had 10 days of saved history?
saywell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a facility for video out while in use?

This would allow the rear camera to double up as a reversing camera, with just the monitor powered up from the rev lights.

William
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting one of these, but was interested to hear if any one has been successful in getting their insurance premium reduced as a result of fitting one. It also strikes me that if left in the car, in parking mode, that it would become a target for someone breaking in.

I'd be grateful for any input.
joneri
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these and it works EXCEPT it will not set to the current time and date. This makes it useless if needed in a court of law. Mine currently thinks it is year 2022. Requests to the manufacturer elicit the response 'contact the supplier'. The supplier steadfastly ignores my emails - so I cannot recommend it. I had a Roadhawk before and abandoned it after it insisted SD card error all the time despite trying a variety of cards.

Addendum: Pittasoft have sent me a link to a small program that sets the time/date so they must have known about the problem! The link is:
http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub3.aspmode=view&serboardsort=&page=17&idx=817&search=&searchstr

I have now used their small programme which entails putting the MicroSD card to the PC and setting it to about 15 seconds before you reconnect it and boot the Blackvue. It worked but sadly after a day in the car it did it's own thing and slipped a couple of hours and a random number of minutes oh and a day! So sadly absolutely bloody useless! Why can't they take this data from the GPS signal? 😩

Last edited by joneri on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one shortly after my last post. I can honestly say I'm very happy with it.
You need to set the time zone in preferences in the Blackvue app or programme.

Edited to say I bought a DR650GW-2CH in the end not the model discussed originally in this thread

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: