Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Button coming loose
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Button coming loose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Button coming loose Reply with quote

The top, right-hand button on my SatMap is once more coming loose. It seems to be attached by two small pins, one of which appears to have broken. I won't have time before my next hike to send this in for repair (nor would I want to spend the amount needed just for this minor damage), but I fear it might drop off and get lost during my rambles.

Has anyone had any success at re-attaching these buttons? Would a drop of super-glue work, or potentially gum up the works? If it does drop off, can the function still be accessed?

I'd appreciate any guidance folk might have based on experience....

Thanks
Chris
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest sending it in for a General Service. At £40 it is pretty good value.
As I recall, it comes back looking as-new with most externals replaced.
I was only without the unit for 7 days - pretty good service I would say.

From the website-

Whilst our unit is designed to withstand the rigours of outdoor sports, some of our customers have found that it is not indestructible. For those of you who now have units that are looking a little bit worse for wear, we offer a General Service:
•replacement front casework
•replacement back casework (if needed)
•replacement inner screen cover
•replacement battery caddy (if needed)
•replacement screen cover
•software upgrade (if needed)
•platform upgrade (if needed)
•antenna check
•full performance testing

Roger
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Thanks. I agree with your comment on General Service. However, having indulged in that service only one major hike back, the unit is otherwise in fine condition. It's just this one button. And it's not only the cost, I won't have the time between returning to the UK and starting the hike. So, needs must when the devil drives!

In addition, I suspect this is a relatively common problem that can recur with no warning - this button had almost detached before the last service. One wouldn't want to have to return the unit to Satmap in the middle of a hike. Be good to have some first-aid solutions...

Chris
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lose a zoom in / out button. You can switch to use left hand instead of right hand, the zoom buttons are now on the left of the unit. If it is wobberly abit of pvc insulating tape ovr the button and case will stop you losing the button and it still works. If the button falls off and you have not lost it. the button can be glued back. I have used Araldite. The button must be glued on the side as the button action is a sideway press not downward. If you look where the button was you will notice a small square under the rubber on the side of the unit. This is what needs to be glude to the button. Do not use too much glue it is this sqaure and button that need to be glued together. better to use too little and have to redo rather than find the button will not press. Donot use the button until the glue is fully dry!!
I have used all these techniques, all work, it all depends on how bad the button is. Recently turn round time has been over 2 weeks and may be nearly 3 at busy times eg bank holidays. So a general service may not be an option. I had a wobberly button and one that fell off 5 days before a trip to Spain.
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John,

johnjackson wrote:
If you lose a zoom in / out button. You can switch to use left hand instead of right hand, the zoom buttons are now on the left of the unit.

That's a good idea. In fact, since I usually hold the unit in my left hand, I'm now trying to get used to this as 'standard'.

johnjackson wrote:
If it is wobberly abit of pvc insulating tape ovr the button and case will stop you losing the button and it still works. If the button falls off and you have not lost it. the button can be glued back. I have used Araldite. The button must be glued on the side as the button action is a sideway press not downward. If you look where the button was you will notice a small square under the rubber on the side of the unit. This is what needs to be glude to the button. Do not use too much glue it is this sqaure and button that need to be glued together. better to use too little and have to redo rather than find the button will not press. Donot use the button until the glue is fully dry!!
I have used all these techniques, all work, it all depends on how bad the button is. Recently turn round time has been over 2 weeks and may be nearly 3 at busy times eg bank holidays. So a general service may not be an option. I had a wobberly button and one that fell off 5 days before a trip to Spain.

Helpful advice. Sounds like these are good solutions. Again, thanks

Chris
Jospee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine used to drop off all the time and i got sick of sending it back. In the end i just glued them on using a very strong epoxy glue (24 hour cure time). Apply on pin location and along the connecting edge only and there's more than enough flex to operate the button without it breaking the bond. Had to reglue one after last winter - but otherwise no problems.
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jospee,

Jospee wrote:
Mine used to drop off all the time and i got sick of sending it back. In the end i just glued them on using a very strong epoxy glue (24 hour cure time). Apply on pin location and along the connecting edge only and there's more than enough flex to operate the button without it breaking the bond. Had to reglue one after last winter - but otherwise no problems.

Thanks for that - and to all who responded. Yesterday I epoxy'd the button on, and today it seems fine. A little stiff - perhaps I overdid the epoxy a little, but it works, and seems firmly re-attached, which is the important point.

Again thanks for giving me the nerve to try...

Chris
Buckleberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party here but I've just got my A10 back from its 1st general service after nearly 5 years of geocaching and mountain biking. I must say, it's like new! Best £40 I've spent in a long time. Really worth the money. Service was second to non, as ever!
Craven50
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Button coming loose Reply with quote

ChrisJakarta wrote:
The top, right-hand button on my SatMap is once more coming loose. It seems to be attached by two small pins, one of which appears to have broken. I won't have time before my next hike to send this in for repair (nor would I want to spend the amount needed just for this minor damage), but I fear it might drop off and get lost during my rambles.

Has anyone had any success at re-attaching these buttons? Would a drop of super-glue work, or potentially gum up the works? If it does drop off, can the function still be accessed?

I'd appreciate any guidance folk might have based on experience....

Thanks
Chris

Hi,

The Satmap button falling off problem is well known. My Active 10 has fallen off 4 times! Expensive now to get a repair £40 + Postage.

Mine fell off again after the fourth repair but used gaffa tape to keep in place. Works a treat. Would not use glue IMHO if you do a make a cock up it will cost you more than a general service repair.

The next time I get a general repair I'll, in hindsight put gaffer tape across the buttons to combat this weakness of design.

regards

Chris
PDK3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent my SatMap back after it was corrupted by a firmware update. It came back with half the parts new!
Craven50
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDK3 wrote:
I sent my SatMap back after it was corrupted by a firmware update. It came back with half the parts new!

Did you pay for a general service? If so they do renew worn parts.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: