Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Android - reduce footprint?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Android - reduce footprint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Android - reduce footprint? Reply with quote

I originally bought western Europe, as this includes England, and was only £4 more, but it takes about 3GB. Is it possible to prune it down on one device so that I only have the UK map, UK on my car unit is only about 200MB?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first inclination was to say no... you either have to buy the UK map or the Europe map.

HOWEVER, on the stand-alone TomToms there is now a system of "map zoning" where, if you are short of storage space, then when you come to download the new map, you are offered one of five PARTS of Europe (Western zone, northern zone etc. - with significant overlap between the zones, so the UK is on at least two of them).

I don't know if this system is in place for the Android app, and I don't know how the map update system for the Android app. works either, but what I GUESS you would need to do is remove the whole map, then fill up the available memory with something else temporarily, so there is not enough space for all of Europe, and see what you are offered when you try to re-install the map from your account.

I'm so lacking in knowledge about the Android app. though... I assume it DOESN'T use "MyTomTom"?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
what I GUESS you would need to do is remove the whole map, then fill up the available memory with something else temporarily

Or simply rename your map & then you'll be 3GB closer to filling the available memory Laughing
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car PNA, as you say lets me select zones when I update from the PC. I wish tomtom would get their act together, and have a single seamless method for all apps. I have the app on iphone/ipad, in my car, and built in to my partners car, and each has a different way to update.

[quote="Andy_P"]My first inclination was to say no... you either have to buy the UK map or the Europe map.

HOWEVER, on the stand-alone TomToms there is now a system of "map zoning" where, if you are short of storage space, then when you come to download the new map, you are offered one of five PARTS of Europe (Western zone, northern zone etc. - with significant overlap between the zones, so the UK is on at least two of them).

I don't know if this system is in place for the Android app, and I don't know how the map update system for the Android app. works either, but what I GUESS you would need to do is remove the whole map, then fill up the available memory with something else temporarily, so there is not enough space for all of Europe, and see what you are offered when you try to re-install the map from your account.

I'm so lacking in knowledge about the Android app. though... I assume it DOESN'T use "MyTomTom"?[/quote]
mvl_boston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no map zoning on the Android app. So you need space for the entire map.

SD cards are very cheap these days, you could just add one if out of space.

Beware that the latest Nexus and Motorola devices are starting to sell without SD slots any more, so don't get duped into buying those. I think Google is trying to trick unsuspecting users into having insufficient space, and being forced to use Google drive and Google maps, so they can harvest more advertising info on you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: