Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding POI and speed cams to a BMW idrive sat nav (2010 HDD)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding POI and speed cams to a BMW idrive sat nav (2010 HDD)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazzared_typer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Adding POI and speed cams to a BMW idrive sat nav (2010 HDD) Reply with quote

Do you know if or how this can be done and what format the file has to be?

I have the newer prof media with the built in HDD rather than DVD. According to the manual you can upload via the USB port in the glovebox, but it gives no other info.

Gazza
MJB_Pocketgpsworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: POI for BMW i-Drive Professional HDD Reply with quote

I'm in the same position. I subscribed to the speed camera database for a long time and used it with my TomTom. New company car means I don't have speed camera alerts now, unless I take the TomTom with me too which I'd rather not be doing.
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you can add them .... if you can't sound an alert when you get within a certain distance of them are they of any real use?
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this right up again -

Has anybody found a fix to this yet? Bought a new BMW with Professional system 3 months ago and still carry the TT with me which is ridiculous.
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
Bumping this right up again -

Has anybody found a fix to this yet? Bought a new BMW with Professional system 3 months ago and still carry the TT with me which is ridiculous.

No fix available as I understand it . The BMW system has no facility for audible warnings . I have the earlier DVD system - and still use my TomTom for speed cams and Live traffic . Its clipped to the dash with a Brodit clip for a slightly neater installation. It has one small benefit - I use the BMW bluetooth for my personal phone and the TT for the work phone (when it decides to work !!) . This saves having to switch the phone preference around within the i-drive.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other way around it if you have an iphone or Android smartphone is to use CamerAlert on that for camera warnings. It is better than most POI warning systems because it is directional - so you only get warnings that apply to your direction of travel.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My temp solution to this strangely enough has been to connect the TT INSIDE the arm rest compartment where there is also power. Not sure how, but the TT still gets a good signal even when the arm rest is down and closed. I have to have it on full volume and can only then just hear it but it is much better than having it stuck on the screen or dash. I run it with no route set and it gives me all the camera alerts as before.
johnmgregson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered this thread. I own a 2012 BMW F10 with an HDD Professional Nav system and would like to import the speed camera database via the USB POI route. I understand that I won't get audible warnings but a visual warning would be better than nothing!

How can I download the Cameralert database to a USB stick in the right format?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnmgregson wrote:
Just discovered this thread. I own a 2012 BMW F10 with an HDD Professional Nav system and would like to import the speed camera database via the USB POI route. I understand that I won't get audible warnings but a visual warning would be better than nothing!

How can I download the Cameralert database to a USB stick in the right format?

John CamerAlert is an app, which uses the PGPSW database and is for use with Android or iOS phones and tablets.

You just want the database itself.
Copilot for USA
johnmgregson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but how do I get the PGPSW database downloaded onto a memory stick in a format that my BMW HDD system will accept?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnmgregson wrote:
OK, but how do I get the PGPSW database downloaded onto a memory stick in a format that my BMW HDD system will accept?

John

According to the earlier posts in this thread you can't. The PGPSW database works as Points of Interest (POIs). Look in your handbook and see if your system can accept user provided POIs. If so it should tell you what format they have to be in and how you instal them.

If it does not mention them then they are probably not supported by your system. That is not unusual I am afraid - built in sat navs are generally the poor relation of stand alone ones, despite them costing 20 times as much.
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: