Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to install both UK (mph) and Europe (kph) on Garmin Unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to install both UK (mph) and Europe (kph) on Garmin Unit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drifter47 wrote:
Can't I have two separate files in my speed camera folder on my laptop and name them one UK and the Europe and download them via POI Loader to the nuvi?
No. Because as you have found, the speed of one or the other will be wrong. You have to load the UK ones with POIloader set to MPH and the EUR ones with it set to KPH 'just like wot PaulB said'
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poi.gpi files will be on your Garmin after you have loaded a set of cameras. Don't remember where - just have a look carefully.

Might also be worth reading the thread from the beginning as its 5 pages of help for what you are trying to do.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like to mention that ;=)
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I didn't like to mention that ;=)

Point taken but as the thread started years ago I didn't know what was relevant to my particular problem and I was just asking for some friendly help and advice.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken Drifter Wink But did it not help?
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those of you who left useful comments of help and advice as it now looks from the simulated routes I ran that both UK & Europe speed cameras are working correctly.

I'll have ask one day perhaps what's the use of the two databases IE complete and zoned, who uses what? Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news. Glad you have got it sorted.
The consolidated by type tells you what type of cam it is. Personally, I don't care so long as I know there is a cam there.

The speed zoned one tells you what speed the camera traps at. This IS what I care about.

Not sure about the warnings on a Garmin, but on TT (I believe) the voice announces the speed when you use the speed zoned database. No doubt someone would be kind enough to correct me if that was wrong.
andyf117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering why it would be necessary to change the settings in the first place?

Have been updating my Nuvi765T over the last week or so - installed 2014 maps for all of Europe, along with Cyclops databases.....

Didn't use POI Loader for the latter, as they were obtained as .gpi files (which POI Loader doesn't recognise, but converts .csv files into) - simply a case of dragging them straight to the POI folder on the unit....

Everything's all in place and working (tested with a few simulated routes) - the unit displays speed limits as usual at the bottom left, in MPH, which is what I need, as that's what my speedometer reads at....

UK speed camera warnings trigger at the appropriate MPH limit....

On European routes, the speed limits are automatically converted: 50kph displays as 31mph, 70kph as 43mph, 90kph as 55mph, 110kph as 68mph, and 130kph as 80mph....

And the European cameras trigger at the equivalent MPH speed - eg., on the E40 in Belgium, the 120kph speed limit displays as 74mph, and the camera alert shows a 75mph trigger speed....

No changing settings needed here!
vulcanben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Wondering why Reply with quote

Andy

If you are paying for the Cyclops databases, then you do not need to change any settings because you already have separate databases for kph and mph and you do not use PoiLoader. You will get updates every 3 or 4 months as long as you can afford them.

If you are not paying for the Cyclops databases they will be out of date and not show new cameras, pocketGPSWorld databases are updated every week.

To use pocketGPSWorld or any other 3rd party database you need to use PoiLoader which likes to combine all your POIs into one file. However PoiLoader only lets you chose kph or mph for the whole of that file.

A lot of Garmin sat navs have a setting that only warns you of a Safety Camera if it calculates that you are exceeding that particular limit. So if you were in a 60kph zone the Garmin would not warn you unless you were doing over 60mph.

You state that your device DISPLAYS kph corrected to mph, it would not do this calculation unless it knew the limit was a kph, it knows its kph because its in a kph database.

Hence the solution to run PoiLoader twice, once for the mph and second for the kph POIs.

To stop PoiLoader overwriting the first file with the second it needs a different name and or location.

Best of Luck

Ben
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Is this still applicable for 2018 Reply with quote

Hi, on the speed camera download page it says that EU and UK have to be loaded separately. I read through this thread, I think I understand about renaming the files.
However, using POI loader, when I load the UK file, its already named UKPOI on my laptop, the file loads to Garmin Drive Assist with the name UKCameras.gpi in the POI folder.

Then I load the EU cameras in the same way, changing to KPH etc and that file loads as EUCameras.gpi in the same POI folder.

I have not changed any of the file names myself.

My question is, will these work correctly with warnings etc, and is the information I am reading on this thread now out of date due to software upgrades on the units?

Thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your POI folder can contain as many .gpi files as you want. There may be a limit but I've never hit it.
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Yes, your POI folder can contain as many .gpi files as you want. There may be a limit but I've never hit it.

Many thanks for the quick answer, much appreciated. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Question re which database Reply with quote

Hi can someone explain what is the difference between Speed Camera Zoned complete and the UK - Consolidated By Type (Gatso,Mobile,etc)

Thanks for your replies in advance. Confused
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT gives the explanation, just a few posts higher up this page.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: