Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - In the market for a new satnav - which one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

In the market for a new satnav - which one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: In the market for a new satnav - which one? Reply with quote

I think my trusty TomTom One XL is dying, it keeps failing, crashing, not reliably booting etc. I want to stick with a TomTom stand alone unit, but also want one that will still take the PGPSW database. I recall a situation a while back whereby TomTom were not going to let users install such databases, but don't recall ever finding out how this ended.

Can I still buy a TomTom which will take the database?

If so is there any limit to the units that I can pick from - are we in a situation where some can and some can't?

Assuming I can pick any unit, I'd appreciate some recommendation on the best one to get. I do like this new system that shows the road lane markings at a motorway junction, so would like one that did that.

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Julia
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has no-one got any suggestions? Crying or Very sad
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi juliaosbourne, not having a new device myself I can't speak from first hand knoledge but I do believe that ALL current TomToms can accept the PgpsW cameras. There was some dicussion a while ago to try to avoid the entry level Start and other models especially those with a small "2" in their name as these use a simplified menu and are more difficult to set up.

As you have probably read here, the newer, Nav3 models cannot be accessed directly by your computer, everything has to be done via the new MyTomTom interface, but that's not a problem unless you like dabbling. There are still some of the older, Nav2, models for sale direct from TomTom's website under the "Clearance" and "Outlet" tabs.

Other than that, it's all pretty much about what maps you want and your budget v features ratio.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to install custom POIs - ie. PGPSW Speed Camera Database - via myTomTom and then on the unit easy to change it's reaction, including adding text to speech warnings, which is great

By the way, expecting TomTom to announce its new series of Sat Navs on Wednesday (17th April) so may be worth waiting a few days... just in case! Laughing
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent - just the sort of thing I was after. Many thanks both Very Happy
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

argos outlet store on ebay are doing brand new TOMTOM XL LIVE UK AND ROI 4.3IN SAT NAV for £104.99 this includes 12mnths free live services and the latest map or amazon are doing the go1000 uk for £129.90
it might be worth checking out http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/tomtom-refurbs.htm
this web site shows the cheapest prices for new and refurb units
I managed to back a brand new GO 950 for £90 through this web site.
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought WTH if I'm in the market for a new unit, lets see what I can get. I took a recon unit first time around, but this time fancied guarantees and associated support. Arrived about 2hrs ago a TT Live 1005 free lifetime maps from Halfords who were doing a discount. I have to say I came back here to see about the speed camera database with some trepidation, but the reponses here had suggested all would be fine and so it was Very Happy I uploaded this fancy new zip file, dumped it into the community uploads bit of my TT according to the instructions and it was seamless. I was that pleased that I've dropped a donation to PGPSW through the system despite my lifetime membership Very Happy My TT will take some getting used to, but the instructions from here were excellent. My only criticism of My TT so far is that they should have made their instructions for 3rd party POIs a little easier to find. All in all pleased so far Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: