Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Logger for geotagging
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Logger for geotagging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: GPS Logger for geotagging Reply with quote

I am looking for recommendations for a small pocket gps logger for geotagging in photography. I use Aperture on a Mac to handle the photography side and another application called HoudahGeo which takes a GPS track and geocodes the metadata within the images inside Aperture. I have used various Garmin GPS's which record in GPX file format and work very well with the setup. The Garmins are a bit big to carry around solely for geotagging. A few year ago I bought a Columbus V-900 GPS tracker which is very good, well made and fairly fast. The problem with it though is that it records the track in a CSV format. I have got around this by converting the CSV file to GPX format using GPSBabel. It a messy extra step I would like to eliminate. So the question is, what are the latest in trackers for geotagging use which also save as a GPX file. I hoped the update to the V-900, the V-990 would record in GPX but it still only creates CSV files. Another possibility is the i-gotU GT-800 Pro which has the bonus of a display and good battery life. So if anyone has one would be interested in any comments on the GT-800 Pro.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an i-gotu on my dogs collar so I know how much further than me he's walked(usually double) it works ok and its water resistant for when he goes into the ponds or the river. AFAIK it does not record in gpx format. The supplied software will export to gpx file. It has a one button add POI system which works reasonably well. I got it from a UK supplier and it cost £49 if I remember correctly. If you PM me your email address I will send the manual to you so you can read up on it.
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There are a lot of cameras with GPS built in .

Washman
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
I use an i-gotu on my dogs collar so I know how much further than me he's walked(usually double) it works ok and its water resistant for when he goes into the ponds or the river. AFAIK it does not record in gpx format. The supplied software will export to gpx file. It has a one button add POI system which works reasonably well. I got it from a UK supplier and it cost £49 if I remember correctly. If you PM me your email address I will send the manual to you so you can read up on it.

Thank's. I have done a fair bit of googling and it appears that the i-gotu records in a proprietary binary format and you need the software to convert to gpx. Similar to the Columbus that I already have.
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

washman wrote:
Hi

There are a lot of cameras with GPS built in .

Washman

Thats true. In some, the GPS leaves a lot to be desired. Also as I already have quite a few cameras a logger will service all of them for geotagging.
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:

Looking at the formats GPSBabel handles they mention an igo8.trk file. Do you know if this is the same type of file the i-gotu produces.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an iPhone by any chancr? There are several apps to add GPS dT fron an iPhone to your photos. I use GPS4Cam

Malcolm
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Do you have an iPhone by any chancr? There are several apps to add GPS dT fron an iPhone to your photos. I use GPS4Cam

Malcolm

I do have an iphone. The problem with using the iPhone is the drain on the battery caused by the GPS running all day. I think I was just hoping that GPS loggers had improved a bit since I last bought one about three years ago.

It's quite a while since I used the Columbus V-900 but I gave it a try today. I think I have got the workflow a bit more streamlined now. What surprised me was how sensitive the V-900 is.
takara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have knowledge of Mac. If you had been using Windows I would have recommended the Ventus G730 an excellent little unit and the bundled Photo Tagger software automatically links the date/time from photo data with the GPS track date/time and will even display the position taken on Google maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: