Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Alert on a Nexus 7.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Alert on a Nexus 7.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fragrant_fred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Camera Alert on a Nexus 7. Reply with quote

I have just downloaded the data for speed cameras onto my Nexus 7 (34159), and also onto my Garmin satnav (13407). Why the big difference (20752)?
Also I appreciate that the camera alert is not a satnav device and only gives the position of cameras on roads, but despite having maps set to on in the settings all I get is a white screen with vehicle speed in the top left corner that is until a camera appears ahead then it shows a cameras icon plus arrow of the direction. Over Christmas I travelled the length of the M62 and in the early parts mobiles came up about every 500 yards. When I entered the 25 miles of road works with average speed of 50 mph it identified every camera on both sides of the road, however no map. I also use the google maps app and if I switched to this it shows the map and the “car” positioned centrally the map moving. Back to Camera Alert app no map but on passing out of the 50mph restricted area into derestricted i.e 70 mph it still for many miles advised me that I was exceeding the speed limit flashing up the red circle with a 50 in its centre. Where have I gone wrong? In the google maps app provided the voice is on in CA then it is superimposed over the map but no camera icons. You will appreciate that I was a passenger while trying the app out as it would be very distracting if I had been the driver.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera Alert on a Nexus 7. Reply with quote

fragrant_fred wrote:
I have just downloaded the data for speed cameras onto my Nexus 7 (34159), and also onto my Garmin satnav (13407). Why the big difference (20752)?

I'm aware that you are using the "CamerAlert" app. for the nexus and the "normal" camera database for the Garmin, but as far as I know, the database download should have exactly the same number of cameras listed for all formats/devices if you choose the same options.

Are you sure you didn't opt for the potential and unverified "pMobiles" on one download and not the other?

EDIT:
But looking a bit deeper, I'm a bit confused by the figures you're quoting anyway....
Where are you seeing those numbers?

If you look here, you'll see the breakdown of the cameras in various territories.
For the UK, if you exclude the pMobiles I make that 11926 cameras in total, and if you include them its 13497 - nowhere near the numbers you've quoted.

So maybe you downloaded the EUROPE data?
Are you aware that the Europe database DOESN'T include the UK? (That's done because the settings needs to be different for mph/kmph)

Basically, can you say exactly what options you chose to download for each device and where you're seeing the figures you gave?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13407is not a million miles{or a tiny typo} from 13497. Shocked Shocked Does not the CA database include the whole word's worth of cams hence the much larger CA download. Or have I not been following the plot as usual?
As to why no maps??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may well have hit the nail on the head there "M8".

All the world (or all of Europe?) for one download and just the UK for the other.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - CamerAlert downloads the worldwide database. The 'normal' satnav downlaods are region-specific. I.e. UK database with about 13k cameras compared to worldwide with 30+k cameras.

For the maps, the only thing I can think of is perhaps you have somehow blocked CamerAlert access to the internet so it can't download the map tiles?! I assume the Nexus7 has a SIM card in it for mobile data and that other mobile data works correctly for you when out and about?

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
on passing out of the 50mph restricted area into derestricted i.e 70 mph it still for many miles advised me that I was exceeding the speed limit flashing up the red circle with a 50 in its centre

Looks like we don't have an 'end' camera marked correctly for that stretch. Can you give a bit more information on the location you were travelling on? East or West of M62 etc. If you turned off before the average speed camera zone finished then we may be missing one of our special 'exit zones' that CamerAlert uses.

MaFt
fragrant_fred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Camera Alert on Nexus Reply with quote

I followed the instructions from the pocketgps world.com web site re the update of the data for the nexus and managed cameras, this gave database versions and size i.e serve 10.123 (34159), in the section of the settings "Cameras to warn about" I selected "Fixed", "redlight", "Redspeed" and "Average" not "Mobile" or "Unverified". In the show maps section I set this to always, and map type to Standard. When I am at home it does indeed show a map of the local area but as I drive along this disappears from the screen leaving it all white. The Satnav I am using is a Garmin streetpilot C510 which has a limited memory. When downloading camera update using the Garmin POI loader it always has the same number.

Thhank you all for your comments will probably sort it in the fullness of time.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Camera Alert on Nexus Reply with quote

fragrant_fred wrote:
When I am at home it does indeed show a map of the local area but as I drive along this disappears from the screen leaving it all white.

So, it looks like you have an issue with mobile data on your Nexus7 either as a whole or just for CamerAlert. When you are away from WiFi are you able to browse the web properly? Or is it only CamerAlert that can't access the internet?

A quick google says you could block specific apps from accessing mobile data but you'd need an app to be installed like Onavo to do that. Unless you've done that explicitly then I would suggest that you have turned off 3G data or have a WiFi-only Nexus7 :/

MaFt
fragrant_fred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Camera Alert on Nexus 32 gb Reply with quote

I have been down to cornwall in the last two weeks and Google map app followed me all the way from yorkshire and back with no problem. I assumed that the map setting on CA would do the same. In respect to the 50 mph screen on the M62 I came out of the 50 mph restricted zone and travelled another 30 miles before turning off that 30 miles should have been set to 70mph.

Obviously I am sat at home were I receive good wifi signal as I drive out of the village I lose the wifi but still keep the GPS on both my satnav and also on the google map app but not on the CA app.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could still be a 3G issue. Google Maps app can cache map tiles and a SatNav app will have onboard maps (map data on the device itself and not being downloaded every few seconds). GPS is solely related to getting your location - you then need map data to be shown either from onboard data or downloaded from the internet.

Hence why I asked if you could download emails or browse the web when you are away from WiFi as this is a better test to see if your mobile internet is working correctly as even with no internet the Google Maps app may still show maps.

MaFt
fragrant_fred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Camera Alert on Nexus 32 gb Reply with quote

The Nexus was purchased for me as a gift and although I waited for the 32Gb version I was not aware that there was also a 3G version more expensive so my problem appears to be that I do not have 3G installed hence no maps. As you say the Google map was preinstalled so is always available. If I run with Google map app with CA in the background I get the verbal instruction that a camera is coming up in so many yards etc although no pictures on the map also the speed limit is shown over the map if it is being exceeded.

Thanks your help and unfortuneately something I have to live with.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mobile phone do you have? Perhaps you could use 'tethering' or 'personal hotspot' to share your phone's internet with the Nexus7? Obviously depends on your tariff and data allowance though.

MaFt
fragrant_fred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: CA on Nexus Reply with quote

Many thanks your comments. My mobile is an old Nokia 6303 classic which does have a G ability but I am only on a pay as you go tariff so do not think it will work. Also I am not sure what you mean by "tethering"?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tethering: If your phone supports it, you can set up your mobile phone to act as a WiFi hot spot which will, to your Nexus 7, look just like a WiFi router. You can then connect the '7' to your phone in the normal way that you connect it to any WiFi source, and use the phone's internet connection to access the internet with your '7'. You may also be able to do it via Bluetooth. A quick Goole for your phone indicates that you may be able to do this. But as you say, as you are on PAYG, it may not be a cheap way to go.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: