Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Leeds Criminals Will Be Caught Red Handed Thanks to GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Leeds Criminals Will Be Caught Red Handed Thanks to GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Leeds Criminals Will Be Caught Red Handed Thanks to GPS Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
In a new crime-fighting initiative, GPS tracking devices are being fitted to gadgets in order to catch thieves red handed.

The gadgets, such as satnavs, mobile phones and laptops, will be planted in criminal hotspots throughout Leeds to help local police catch those guilty of theft, as well as targeting accomplices who receive the goods.

This is made possible by the extended battery life that such gadgets boast - something which means they can remain active for a prolonged period of time whilst in the thieves' possession.

This will allow local police to monitor the geographic location of the gadgets for longer, helping them address all aspects of the criminal activity.

According to Supt. Pat Twiggs of City and Holbeck Police, the planted devices will look and feel exactly the same as standard models with GPS technology hidden within them to allow the police to pinpoint the exact location of the person who has them.

He went on to add that the 24/7 availability of these "assets" would be of considerable benefit and lead to "the arrest of prolific offenders."

Burglaries in Leeds have almost halved over the past three years as police have employed a range of tactics which targeted those most likely to commit offences. This latest move will only intensify the result of such action with the £10,000 funding for the initiative being drawn from criminals themselves by way of confiscations under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

Source
email icon

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's good for them to announce it and possibly put thieves off from stealing electronic stuff but you'd have thought they would have carried it out first before warning them what they were doing? If the overall aim is to locate common storage areas for the stolen stuff then really the police would want them to carry on as normal - or have I missed the point?

MaFt
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Leeds Criminals Will Be Caught Red Handed Thanks to GPS Reply with quote

Thought better of publicising my comments.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
I know it's good for them to announce it and possibly put thieves off from stealing electronic stuff ...
MaFt

... plus fact that my sat-nav or mobile won't last long on battery with GPS on (OK, mobile GPS can be turned on remotely using appropriate app) makes me think it is a bit of police sabre rattling!

Good luck to them anyway - at least they are coming up with fresh ideas!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But even if they do catch them red handed, they will probably loose the evidence. Here
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: I'm so, so glad Reply with quote

The police have solved the April Jones case so that they can waste their time with this. At least it keeps Jimmy out of the news.
I shouldn't be so cynical.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from short range jammers, I assume there are other containers that will block signals?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Leeds amongst the low life who steal sat navs and laptops etc.

Most of them don`t even know who the Prime minister is so I would not worry about them reading news stories such as this. They don`t have jammers, their only tool is a brick or screwdriver.

My concern is that when they are caught they will be let off as usual by the judges.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: