Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Subscription Renewal & New Members.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Subscription Renewal & New Members.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Lets be Fair and Reasonable, I did not see any Demand

Exactly.

I voluntarily donate to three charities and I chose them because of their financial transparency and the lower than average salaries of the directors, the limited expense accounts etc.

I'd like the two posters above who ask what business is it of mine whether they would donate £20 to B&Q every time they visited ? Or Woolworths or Dixons any other Ltd co. which is facing financial concerns in thee austere times.

Or, indeed, any company who were facing issues due to the change in user patterns, new technology edging out the old or just plain old competition.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back into subject:

Quote:
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:50 pm Post subject:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Darren wrote:
SpikeyMikey wrote:
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:50 pm Post subject:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Darren wrote:
SpikeyMikey wrote:
Could there be a time when more people are 'lifers' than subscribers?
What will the team do then?
Let's hope there are never that many cameras!

Fingers crossed.

Darren you should really have planned ahead
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I think this is all getting a bit out of hand. Let's all calm down and debate this without swapping insults.

TBH I for one lost interest in this thread a couple of pages ago and am quite surprised it has been allowed to go this far off topic, "and to stay off topic"

Maybe it's time people reacquainted them selves with the original request from the newsletter which then pointed to his thread.
FrancisK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view the "life membership" model is clearly unsustainable. I would have thought that 1yr free for a new fixed camera was adequate. £20 seems like a decent amount to "win".

On another tack, a huge amount of work (and I assume cost) appears to have gone into the CamerAlert apps. Perhaps someone can tell me how cost effective it has been. Is the cost affecting the viability of the site as a whole? As a PND user it doesn't benefit me at all.

One face of it the time to fix things is NOW.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrancisK wrote:
On another tack, a huge amount of work (and I assume cost) appears to have gone into the CamerAlert apps. Perhaps someone can tell me how cost effective it has been. Is the cost affecting the viability of the site as a whole? As a PND user it doesn't benefit me at all.

That was raised earlier in the thread.
Darren wrote:
geddit wrote:
I think perhaps you need to take a step back and review your business model. Things used to be alright when the number of cameras was rapidly growing, so what has changed? Has going global increased your costs? It would appear that your service for mobiles has also been resource consuming. If you know what each of these is costing, perhaps you could determine where the charges for the service should lie.

That's simple. What's changed is the massive downturn in the use of dedicated satnav's in favour of smartphones.
Quote:
But as I don't use my mobile in the car (a real one is much better) I would be put off to think I was having to pay a significant premium to support those that do.

In which case we should probably raise the cost of the dedicated satnav subscription. We have to create the data in a massive array of formats, provide install guides, voice alerts files etc and installation support in the forums and via our help desk. Contrast that with our smartphone app. Install is done in the app, the database does not need to be converted and published each week and support is greatly simplified.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldfogy wrote:
TBH I for one lost interest in this thread a couple of pages ago and am quite surprised it has been allowed to go this far off topic, "and to stay off topic"

Maybe it's time people reacquainted them selves with the original request from the newsletter which then pointed to his thread.

As the previous post shows, people are now starting to repeat stuff because they're not reading through the whole thread before posting.

I've nothing new to say. I think we're just waiting for an update from the PGPSW team as to what their thinking is. We haven't heard from them since Saturday.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sausages wrote:
aj2052 wrote:
Lets be Fair and Reasonable, I did not see any Demand

Exactly.

I voluntarily donate to three charities and I chose them because of their financial transparency and the lower than average salaries of the directors, the limited expense accounts etc.

I'd like the two posters above who ask what business is it of mine whether they would donate £20 to B&Q every time they visited ? Or Woolworths or Dixons any other Ltd co. which is facing financial concerns in thee austere times.

Or, indeed, any company who were facing issues due to the change in user patterns, new technology edging out the old or just plain old competition.

I subscribe to two things - home housekeeping and Pgpsw. Housekeeping is a weekly subscription, which goes up occasionally to reflect things like inflation. Pgpsw is annual subscription, which amount is specified by them and has not gone up since introduced almost seven years ago. Although I had the benefit of Free Lifetime Membership, I yesterday renewed annual subscription.

I subscribe to those two because they are important to me and if they were to fail, it would considerably dismay me.

I have no other destination for subscriptions - no chance of donating £20 to B&Q or any other shop every time I visit, what an inappropriate comparison.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
saltburner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Subscription Renewal & New Members. Reply with quote

I thought being a lifetime subscriber was too good to last but I was chuffed to achieve this status. However, it did not stop me submitting further sightings and I'm sure the same goes for most members. How about a reduced subscription rather than being free? I'd be quite happy with that. Another reward might be a free year for every new camera reported with a running total against membership which once reduced to zero would mean going back to full subscription. This system would take much more administration so maybe too complicated.
Whatever is decided, I for one will still want to be a member as I rely on this database. Please don't let it disappear.
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
what an inappropriate comparison.

No it isn't. All of the Ltd. companies I mentioned are having financial turbulence due to market conditions. Dixons has gone pop. B&Q just laid off 220 workers.

It's currently free to go into B&Q.

What if B&Q started to charge admission where previously there was none.

Do you think B&Q would see many more people through the doors or would Wickes ?
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sausages wrote:
DennisN wrote:
what an inappropriate comparison.

No it isn't. All of the Ltd. companies I mentioned are having financial turbulence due to market conditions. Dixons has gone pop. B&Q just laid off 220 workers.

It's currently free to go into B&Q.

What if B&Q started to charge admission where previously there was none.

Do you think B&Q would see many more people through the doors or would Wickes ?

It's free to go into B&Q but you try walking out of the store with any of their products without paying. B&Q don't give away their product to a sizable chunk of their customers, PGPSW do.

That's where your comparison falls down.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is perhaps worth recalling that PGPSW have already stated quite categorically that they well NOT withdraw free membership compulsorily. In fact, not all all as things stand at the moment (see Darren's post somewhere in this thread).

It is some lifers themselves who are advocating relinquishing some/all their rights to free membership voluntarily on an individual basis. As far as I can tell, therefore, no one will be forced into giving up their free membership, which of course would be a bit unfortunate, to say the least.

So there's not really any need for anyone to get worked up about all this at all, as far as I can see. In fact, as someone has already posted, it seems all revenue-raising suggestions have now been offered, which has been the real purpose of this thread. Better for now just to wait and see what Darren et al come up with.
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
It is perhaps worth recalling that PGPSW have already stated
quite categorically that they well NOT withdraw free membership

It's been stated and re-stated but the fraggles are stuck in transmit mode Laughing
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough already. Someone suggested the thread be locked. Before that's done, I'd additionally ask for a final comment from Darren or MaFt, outlining their further actions.

Tony
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burtonian wrote:
Enough already. Someone suggested the thread be locked. Before that's done, I'd additionally ask for a final comment from Darren or MaFt, outlining their further actions.

Tony

That was my suggestion. Normally I would agree that it would be sensible for PGPSW to comment finally, but if that is going to take more than an hour or two there will another 3 pages of electronic tennis. So maybe lock it first and explain in another thread.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
burtonian wrote:

Tony

That was my suggestion. Normally I would agree that it would be sensible for PGPSW to comment finally, but if that is going to take more than an hour or two there will another 3 pages of electronic tennis. So maybe lock it first and explain in another thread.

Where's a Mod when you want one?!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: