Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have eTrex + iPaq now what .. Neewbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have eTrex + iPaq now what .. Neewbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wigg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Have eTrex + iPaq now what .. Neewbie Reply with quote

I had the eTrex for ages and have recently acquired an iPaq 5400 series with expansion cradle.
I was planning to use pocket streets with then but I now believe there are better options after seeing this site!
Question Am I correct in thinking I can connect the GPS (Garmin) directly to the iPaq and save the cost of another reciever?
Question Do I need specific software to work with it/them?
Question Am I better getting a deadicated reciever with its asciated software?
Thanks
Garry
Nr Manchetser
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can connect an eTrex (not yellow one) up to a Pocket PC via an eTrex to PDA cable. You'll need to make sure you setup the eTrex to change from Garmin protocol to NMEA for exporting. Then all you do is once you have software installed on the Pocket PC just set it to COM 1 (bottom sync port), NMEA, 4800 and you should be good to go.

Only downside in having this sort of setup is that you then have a cable tethered between both devices and it's not ideal for if you're out walking!

Pocket Streets [blah], I'd get a proper PDA navigation program. If you just want rich coloured topo maps then I'd go for Memory-Map, Fugawi or MapTech, if you want turn-by-turn street navigation then I would go with a proper street navigation program.
SteveR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: eTrex and PPC Reply with quote

Dave,

I noticed your comment regarding the eTrex - "Not the yellow one" - with interest. What is the reason for this? I have been trying to get my eTrex (a yellow one) working with TT3 and various adaptors from the serial eTrex cable to the USB connector of my Dell Axim5, without success. I had put it all down to the multiple adaptors I had put into the cable, but maybe it's the eTrex itself??

Steve
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yellow eTrex is no different from other eTrex models as far as connecting to a PDA is concerned.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fault, I was thinking of the Geko 101 when I posted this. That doesn't have an interface port, but all the eTrex's do.
dlegros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: eTrex and PPC Reply with quote

SteveR wrote:
Dave,

I noticed your comment regarding the eTrex - "Not the yellow one" - with interest. What is the reason for this? I have been trying to get my eTrex (a yellow one) working with TT3 and various adaptors from the serial eTrex cable to the USB connector of my Dell Axim5, without success. I had put it all down to the multiple adaptors I had put into the cable, but maybe it's the eTrex itself??

Steve

For eTrex to Axim, check out the PC-Mobile Cables (from most GPS suppliers - your choice), or direct from http://www.pc-mobile.net/

However, you cannot connect an Axim X5 to an eTrex in "Garmin" mode, you have to set the GPS and your software to NMEA (meaning you can't up/download track and waypoint data to the GPS), but otherwise it works fine, it appears to be a limitation of the X5's interface.

What adaptors have you in place, I used to have my old Jornada working with the following jumble:

Jornada serial sync -> 9-25 pin adaptor -> 25-9 pin null modem -> eTrex serial cable

Apart from being heavy and unwieldy, it worked fine.

HTH

Dom
SteveR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Garmin eTrex plus Dell Axim X5 Reply with quote

I have tried the following combinations:

in my Brodin mount - the GPS cable ends with a male PS2 plug (or mini DIN, 6 pin), so I use a female/female PS2 adaptor + PS2 to serial 9 pin adaptor + standard Garmin serial cable. This gives absolutely no response in any of the GPS programmes or navigation programs.

loose in my hand - standard Garmin serial cable + PS2 to serial 9 pin adaptor + PS2 to USB adaptor (from a mouse package, so maybe different pin settings??) + female/female PS2 adaptor + Axim USB cable. Again, absolutely no response.

I set both the Garmin and the PDA GPS programmes to NMEA mode, scan the COM ports, trying each in turn manually followed by a scan, I have tried cold starts, but all to no avail.

I already have a CF GPS receiver which works perfectly with TT3, but this occupies my CF card slot, which I would prefer to be able to use for my microdrive, in order to be able to load multiple European countries for holiday and weekend touring, without having to buy a whole battery of high capacity SD cards, or spending the time before each trip uploading maps. Also without having to explain to my better (and non-technical) half why I have bought yet another gadget (new GPS).

Steve
dlegros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin eTrex plus Dell Axim X5 Reply with quote

SteveR wrote:

in my Brodin mount - the GPS cable ends with a male PS2 plug (or mini DIN, 6 pin), so I use a female/female PS2 adaptor + PS2 to serial 9 pin adaptor + standard Garmin serial cable. This gives absolutely no response in any of the GPS programmes or navigation programs.

loose in my hand - standard Garmin serial cable + PS2 to serial 9 pin adaptor + PS2 to USB adaptor (from a mouse package, so maybe different pin settings??) + female/female PS2 adaptor + Axim USB cable. Again, absolutely no response.

I set both the Garmin and the PDA GPS programmes to NMEA mode, scan the COM ports, trying each in turn manually followed by a scan, I have tried cold starts, but all to no avail.

I already have a CF GPS receiver which works perfectly with TT3, but this occupies my CF card slot, which I would prefer to be able to use for my microdrive, in order to be able to load multiple European countries for holiday and weekend touring, without having to buy a whole battery of high capacity SD cards, or spending the time before each trip uploading maps. Also without having to explain to my better (and non-technical) half why I have bought yet another gadget (new GPS).

Steve

Can't comment on the mount, but for the hand-held option, it sounds like you are trying to run a garmin (RS232 Serial) into the USB connections on the Axim - this will not work as it is more than translating pins (which a PS/2 - USB connector does). The eTrex cannot connect to USB (except with the new Garmin cable to a USB master - like a computer, not a PDA).

You need an RS232 serial connection to the Axim, try the PC-Mobile cables - set TomTom and the Garmin to NMEA and it should work fine.

HTH

Dom
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin eTrex plus Dell Axim X5 Reply with quote

SteveR wrote:

Steve

That will not work.
You can use one of the "GPS interface" from our range together with the GPS serial cable you already have:

PAXGS (for Axim X5)
PX3GS/PX3GSP (for Axim X3), as X3 does not have CF slot so this is not what you have.

http://pc-mobile.net/pdaserial.htm

Or use one of the Garmin>Axim cable.
dlegros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC-Mobile cables are a nice neat solution.

Compact and easy to use.

Dom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: