Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Auto-update of Database - suggested new feature !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto-update of Database - suggested new feature !
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattelise
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Auto-update of Database - suggested new feature ! Reply with quote

Hi,

I use (and love!) cameralert on the iPhone however as I only tend to use it once a week, each time I load the app, which I then have autoload tom-tom (great feature), i'm then greeted with "you do not have the latest database, please update" - by then I'm on the move and need to pull over (as clearly i wouldn't use it while driving), I then need to re-open cameralert (as tom-tom is on the screen) navigate to settings, select manage databases, select update, then navigate back to tom-tom when complete.

Please, please, please, can we have a TOGGLE in settings which if the membership is valid (lifetime or subscription) the database AUTO updates. Perhaps we could hear "your database is updating, your database update is complete". This would be soooo great and would make it much more user friendly - and SAFE !

I've requested this before but it was stated that it might not be ideal for those on a limited data plan - however with a toggle in settings to enable auto updates surely thats no longer an issue...

as Mrs Doyle from Father Ted would say "go on, go on, gooo on, go on go on!!"

Am I the only person who thinks would be a stonkingly good update ?

Razz
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but.... For your convenience, may I suggest a quick load of CamerAlert before you leave home? I do it any time I feel like it and using my super duper home Broadband the update is very fast indeed. Usually I set mine in motion whilst I'm doing the other stuff before driving off - with satnavs to setup, junk to tuck away, etc, update of the database is complete before I'm ready to drive off.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DennisN. Our WiFi hub is left switched on all of the time. When I'm getting ready to go out I find that it's no problem to start up CamerAlert and download the latest version of the database, it only takes a couple of minutes.

Even if I'm doing a short journey the CamerAlert database will be current even if the PGPSW database on the SatNav is not.

If I'm going on a long journey then I try to ensure that the PGPSW database on the SatNav is also the latest version.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mattelise
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Slightly off topic, but.... For your convenience, may I suggest a quick load of CamerAlert before you leave home? I do it any time I feel like it and using my super duper home Broadband the update is very fast indeed. Usually I set mine in motion whilst I'm doing the other stuff before driving off - with satnavs to setup, junk to tuck away, etc, update of the database is complete before I'm ready to drive off.

I do remember to do that sometimes but not the majority of the time. Plus the database hasn't always been updated making it a bit of a waste of time the majority of the time. Not an ideal use case to request tr user do this, though I take your point.

Please include this enhancement. Thanks for the earlier +1. Can we get more people adding a comment if they want to see this. Might tempt the company to do it then Smile

Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the non-couch scenario we are thinking more along the lines of a delta update. That will reduce the amount of data burning through the ether, but as you may imagine this is rather more complex than a simple flush and fill. So we need to think this through carefully. We appreciate your feedback.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattelise wrote:
I do remember to do that sometimes but not the majority of the time. Plus the database hasn't always been updated making it a bit of a waste of time the majority of the time.
Whenever you click to download, before you do so, look at the number of cameras in the database. When the download is finished, look again and you'll find that the number is different (except when you do it four times in half an hour!!). The app version of the database is updated constantly by our database admin and is therefore more up to date than the weekly downloads available to PND users. That's why I use the iPhone app rather than the PND downloads.

However, I don't wish to detract from your request for an enhancement - it does seem likely to be valuable in your scenario - I was just offering a solution in the meantime. I do it daily and often more than once a day, because I'm driving distances every day. The new camera added into the iPhone database this morning (but not yet in the PND download) might just be the one that... you know!!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also vote for an automatic upgrade option. Maybe that is because I am not as organised as others, or maybe my memory is just going. Or I am not as organised as others Wink

Lots of other programmes I know do this. Doesn't need to be pushed from "your" end. It could be set up to check from "our" end - either when switched on (so would be no need to pull over and muck about) or at set intervals.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I would also vote for an automatic upgrade option. Maybe that is because I am not as organised as others, or maybe my memory is just going. Or I am not as organised as others Wink

Lots of other programmes I know do this. Doesn't need to be pushed from "your" end. It could be set up to check from "our" end - either when switched on (so would be no need to pull over and muck about) or at set intervals.

Indeed, but we are looking at a way to get the CHANGES (additions, amendments, removals) from the server as opposed to the full database. Full database is relatively simple but we need to consider not only a mobile users data usage but also server resources / bandwidth for delivering 500KB of data when, perhaps, 498KB of that goes unchanged...

MaFt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of just adding / deleting the data that has been changed. It would be a boon for those on limited data packages. However I am on 500Mb a month and hardly ever get to use 400Mb, so the present system is still no real problem for me to be honest.

Like a couple of others posted, my home wiFi is always on and I check for App updates almost daily and check CA at the same time more or less.
mattelise
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, I don't wish to detract from your request for an enhancement - it does seem likely to be valuable in your scenario - I was just offering a solution in the meantime. I do it daily and often more than once a day, because I'm driving distances every day. The new camera added into the iPhone database this morning (but not yet in the PND download) might just be the one that... you know!!!

Yes I had noticed that the number of cameras was different so agree that updating more regularly is wise. Considering your point it would be EVEN BETTER if it auto updated the DELTA each time you loaded the app.....i'm not bothered about amount of data but can see why Delta updates would be better.

The main thing for me (and others) is it would appear that an autoupdate feature would be cooooool......keep +1 ing people !

thanks for paying attention to the forums - such a great software implementation regularly used !
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
I like the idea of just adding / deleting the data that has been changed. It would be a boon for those on limited data packages. However I am on 500Mb a month and hardly ever get to use 400Mb, so the present system is still no real problem for me to be honest.

But if the app auto-updated every 10 minutes then that's over 3MB an hour - more as the worldwide coverage continues to expand.

MaFt
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make it user configurable? i.e. the user can state how often it updates and whether or not it includes the whole database or just the changes? Some of us are on unlimited data plans so data allowance is not an issue, but some are limited so to have an option would be good. Also, you could have an option to set a data limit for constant updating, so say 3mb a day when the app is running and no more, this would give data limited users an option to have a limit.

Steven

iPhone 12
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
253 wrote:

But if the app auto-updated every 10 minutes then that's over 3MB an hour - more as the worldwide coverage continues to expand.

MaFt

Ahhh, I thought you meant an auto-update when it was first opened, not a continuous update function when the app was open.
That would be a different thing all together. I realise that would be the dogs bits of an update system, but do we actually need it that good?
I mean we've got to be realistic, not only from the amount of work involved by PGPSW to maintain it, possible extra cost of database, data usage by customers, and is there a need for it.

At the end of the day, the person behind the wheel has to take some responsibility to recognise the changing driving conditions around them.
mattelise
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
253 wrote:

MaFt

Actually I meant only on first open. That would be fine and dandy !!! Don't need it to update while open. That would be a bit overkill !!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: