Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Meridian Color - More Than 64mb
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Meridian Color - More Than 64mb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Meridian Color - More Than 64mb Reply with quote

I'm new to GPS use and to this forum so I searched it for an answer but could only find someone asking (I think) a similar question.

Beside the Meridian, I have Mapsend S&D US, Mapsend S&D Canada, a SanDisk 8-1 Card Writer and a 128mb SD Card.

I'm trying to load several Western states and British Columbia (more than 64mb total) on one card before going to Alaska. When I download my selections from Mapsend US it's fine, but when I try to add something from Mapsend Canada the cardwriter overwrites what's already on the card. As a result, I have to put the US maps on one card and the Canada maps on another.

Does anyone know of a work-around for this? I'd end up using about the full 64mb allowed by each Mapsend but would be happy to get a 256mb card if the extra capacity would help.

A related question might be how can I get Mapsend US to allow downloading more than 64mb onto one card?

Thanks.

Alf
ernieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I currently use Mapsend Topo UK with my Meridian color and to get round the 64Mb limit I save my regions to the hard disk and then load them to the SD card via a USB card reader, drag and drop. You need to keep each map area below 64Mb.

ernieb
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ernieb-

I did save the maps to my harddrive so I'll try loading from there.

Alf
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Didn't Work Reply with quote

Well, I tried draggin' & droppin' from the hard drive but something strange happens. I can fill the SD card with several maps directly from the harddrive but the GPS only shows the first one in the database. It's like the others don't exist even though the computer/card reader says they're all there.

When I load the card via MapSend (4 maps @ 16MB - 64MB max total) everything shows up and is useable.

If anyone can help me solve this I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'm going to get a couple more SD cards and learn to live with it.

Alf
ernieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alf - ernieb again,

I had problems getting this to work but this is how it works for me.
I'm using Mapsend Topo UK and a Meridian Color.
I set up the region then save to hard disc by selecting Regions/Upload to GPS/Store to hard Drive - make sure the target serial number for your GPS is correct and finish.
I open Windows explorer, drag and drop the regions from the Program Files directory/Magellan/Mapsend Topo GB/Export/images.

It seems to work fo me. When the Magellan software loads these directly the image is stored with a coded number.img and is transformed in the GPS to something readable. When I store to the hard drive these are already readable names but it does not seem to affect how the gps reads them as they come out OK.

Hope you get it to work.

erneib
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed explanation, ernieb.

I'll keep trying.

Alf
weaselphd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Here is your answer-using more than 64 meg SD Reply with quote

if you go to http://www.magellan.com.au/support/faq/index.htm#DiscoverAus2

this will tell you how, it is a matter of US and software issues to why they tell you to only use 64 meg. im running a sandisk 1gig Sd in my magellan color GPS...
anyway here are the text directions, you may use the link above for a screen shot by shot detail direction:

>> CUSTOMER SUPPORT - FAQ

Site Path: Home > Support > Faq > Index

Question List

Q:My SD card is not detected or doesn't work when I insert it into the Meridian series of GPS receivers?

Q:My GPS is not detected when I attempt to load maps from MapSend. What do I do?

Q: What NMEA settings do i need to hook my FX324 up to DiscoverAus or Desert Tracks for Real time moving maps on my laptop or PC.

Q: DiscoverAus will only allow me to Upload 16Mbytes?

Q: How Do I Upload more than 64Mbytes to a 128Mbyte SD card or bigger?

Q:MAPSEND STREETS: HOW TO UPLOAD & COMBINE MULTIPLE STATES

Q:MAPSEND STREETS: How to enable larger regions for Upload

Q: What is the difference between the existing AGD and the new GDA coordinates?

Q: What is the difference between GDA and WGS84?

Q: Does Magellan have the New Zealand Map Grids?

Q:What does 12-channel receiver Mean?

Q:Does the receiver adjust itself for daylight savings time?

Q:Why won't the receiver accept the coordinates I am putting in?

Q:Can I use NiCd batteries in my GPS ?

Q:Can I attach my GPS to external power?

Q:Why doesn't the temperature reading match the external temperature?

Q:My elevation goes up & down tens of Metres. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a defective unit?

Q:My SD card is not detected or doesn't work when I insert it into the Meridian series of GPS receivers?
A: There is new firmware available (v4.51T or v5.12) for the Meridian Colour, Platium, Marine and Gold from the downloads section of this website or at http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/software.asp which will fix the SD card reading problem. Firmware for the Meridian GPS (yellow or green colour) will be available soon, if you are having problems with this GPS please contact service@magellan.com.au .

Q:My GPS is not detected when I attempt to load maps from MapSend. What do I do?
A: It is very likely that your COM port, the port that allows your computer to connect to the GPS device, is being used by another program. Programs such as the HotSync Manager for the Palm Desktop will keep the COM ports of your computer busy even when not in use. Other programs such as those for scanners can also keep the COM ports busy. You must close these types of programs before MapSend will detect your GPS.

Once you have closed these programs, you must let MapSend auto detect the GPS. To do this, select "Options" from the menu bar. Next, select "GPS Settings" from the pull down menu.

Make sure your GPS is connected to your computer and turned on. Within the GPS device, verify that the NMEA data output is turned off and verify that the baud rate is set for 4800. To do this, press the "menu" button. Highlight "setup" and press "enter." Now scroll down and highlight "NMEA" and press "enter." Highlight off and press "enter." Now highlight "baud rate" and press "enter." Highlight "4800" and press "enter." Now press the "NAV" button.

Now your computer should be able to detect your GPS and be ready to download a map. Click on "Auto Detect" on the GPS Settings window. MapSend will try to detect the GPS on all available COM ports at different baud rates. Once detected, click "OK" and continue with loading maps to your GPS.

If you are still unable to detect your GPS unit, verify that your COM ports are configured correctly (instructions for how to do this vary from computer to computer, please see your computer's documentation for more information). If you find that your COM ports are not properly configured, you may need to uninstall them from the system device manager. You will then need to search for new hardware and reinstall them. This may require you to restart your computer. Restart and proceed as described above to detect you GPS.

If the problem continues you need to refer to the documentation for your computer and possibly contact the computer manufacture.

Q: What NMEA settings do i need to hook my FX324 up to DiscoverAus or Desert Tracks for Real time moving maps on my laptop or PC.
A: Select NMEA 0183 2.0 for the Serial Output under the setup window.
For the NMEA sentences select
1 GSA
2 GSV
3 GLLC
4 GGAC
5 RMC
6 ---
7 ---
8 ---

As this Software was not strictly designed for this GPS you may have problems connecting in the GPS log. To over come this Set the Serial Output to MLR, then press GPS Log Start, then while the Software says connecting in bottom right of screen select the Serial Out Put of the GPS back to the NMEA 0183 2.0

Q:DiscoverAus will only allow me to Upload 16Mbytes
A: The Maximum Region size for DiscoverAus is 16Mbytes however you can upload 4 regions as one Map. Giving you a total Map size of 64Mbytes. So break the area you want to load into your GPS into 2,3 or 4 regions.

Q: How Do I Upload more than 64Mbytes to a 128Mbyte SD card or bigger?
A:

Recommended Method (SD card Reader/writer Required)

Mapsend will allow you to create a Map of 4 regions of a maximum size 16Mybtes each this gives you a total Map size of 64Mbytes. A map is stored on the SD card with an IMG file extension as Detail00.img. If we draw 4 regions and load these to the SD card and then Do another 4 and load them to the SD card because the Program loads the Map as Detail00.img every time it will write over the Map that was done previously. To get around this we simply rename the Detail00.img file before downloading the next set of 4 regions. We can these use the Change Map function within Card Utilities to swap between the different .img files.

Eg (assumes you are already familiar with uploading regions to your GPS or Card Reader/Writer)

Draw 4 regions covering your 64 meg limitation, then Upload to GPS via SD Card Programmer.
then use your explorer to open the data on the SD card, Click with the Right Mouse button on Detail00.img and select rename from the drop down menu, Give the file a meaningful name such as WA.img

hope this helps, please email me if you need help!

WeaseLPhD
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, weaselphd-

I'll check the instructions on the Magellan site. Between you and ernieb I'll get it yet.

Alf
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks, what am I doing wrong???

I loaded 3 sets of maps (the largest is 52MB, a total of 120MB) on a 128MB card and dutifully renamed them from 'detail00.img' to a geographic name (e.g.: canada) as I did so. When I put the card in the GPS it refused to recognize any of them in its database menu.

Next I put the card back in the writer and renamed one of the files 'detail00.img' as it was originally named. When I put the card back in the GPS it recognized that file but not the others.

Then I got the bright idea to add '.img' to each of the region names that I had given the files (e.g.: canada.img). This time the GPS would only recognize the name that came first alphabetically, but not the others.

I know it's possible because others are doing it and I think I'm following the directions exactly. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Confused

Thanks.

Alf
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update here.

I'm still trying (unsuccessfully) to load more than 64MB on an SD card and get the Meridian to recognize it.

I wrote Magellan again, thinking I had them cornered, since vendor's catalogs and the Magellan website both said that the Meridian Color had an "Uploadable Memory Limit" of 128MB. I pointed all this out to them but their one sentence reply was "Currently our units cannot do this."

Doesn't make any sense to me so I'll just keep trying.

Alf

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Magellan All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: