Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Seiko Unveil The World's First GPS Solar Watch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Seiko Unveil The World's First GPS Solar Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wetsleet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Surely it must to more than adjust the time zone and keep deadly accurate time? Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist to me. Rolling Eyes

Is there another reason for a watch, other than displaying the correct time? (OK, so there is bling and image etc.) So this innovation goes to the heart of a watch's raison d'etre. Also it will take care of DST changes twice a year - twice a year a swear I will never buy another gizmo which needs its clock putting right every March and October.

And it means you never have to replace the battery, so no chance of impairing the water resistance etc. I have a Kinetic watch, over ten years old now, never had to change any capicitor or anything, contrary to other posts here.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS on your wrist Reply with quote

GeoffCee wrote:
Yet another example of technological innovation for the sake of it.

A must-have for geeks and dweebs. When will they be in the shops? Embarassed

I always think people must be really disappointed when they buy a piece of technology that doesn't actually do anything exciting.
All that money just for your watch to be right when it probably was anyway!

Reminds me of when they first brought out clocks that synced to Rugby... no-one liked them because there was nothing to show off.
So they had to add a button that made the hands spin round wildly and then settle on the right time, just so people could show it to their friends.
All good fun unless you did it on one of the regular days when Rugby was off the air for maintenance - then the hands just kept spinning for ever!
Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wetsleet wrote:
I have a Kinetic watch, over ten years old now, never had to change any capicitor or anything, contrary to other posts here.
But loads of people have had to have the capacitor replaced, and it's not cheap. I found this when doing research when I was going to buy a Seiko kinetic thingy.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS on your wrist Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Reminds me of when they first brought out clocks that synced to Rugby... no-one liked them because there was nothing to show off.

In Yorkshire, we never synced to Rugby. Every now and again, we'd send somebody down to London, he'd go to Big Ben and write down the time and bring it back and tell us all, then we had the EXACT time, not Rugby time.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah. Couldn't afford a clock, and lived in a cardboard box on the motorway as I recall....?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
wetsleet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
wetsleet wrote:
I have a Kinetic watch, over ten years old now, never had to change any capicitor or anything, contrary to other posts here.
But loads of people have had to have the capacitor replaced, and it's not cheap. I found this when doing research when I was going to buy a Seiko kinetic thingy.

Sure, moaners post. I'm pretty sure that 'loads more' never had a problem with their capacitors, but inexplicably failed to report the fact in any forum.

My other watch is a very expensive (in my terms!) Tissot Touch Expert - needed a new battery within the year - they wanted more just to replace the battery than the Lorus Kinetic cost me brand new (so I replaced it myself). My point is, not having to remove the case back is generally a good thing, as is knowing that the watch is always accurate, and not going to run out of juice. So a solar powered GPS synched watch seems like a good idea all round to me.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wetsleet wrote:
(so I replaced it myself)
There you go. Battery replacement is pennies (if you don't send them to Seiko) But I believe that they have to be returned to change the capacitor. I was just pointing out that 'Never have to change the battery' it true, but there is another v expensive thing that you will probably have to change sooner or later if you are a whinger or unlucky, and that it costs shedfulls of money to replace.
I rest my case mi'lud.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllyCat wrote:
many flight crew/airlines won't allow the use of GPS receivers in aircaft (or will wearers be banned from entering the plane)

Really? Which airlines ban it? I've never come across one myself.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllyCat wrote:
GPS doesn't have any problems at the poles. The satellite orbits are inclined and they're sufficiently high that they're easily "visble" anywhere on the Earth

I think he meant the problems with timezones.. At the poles, you could easily walk though all the time zones in only a few seconds - that would really confuse the watch Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
I think he meant the problems with timezones.. At the poles, you could easily walk though all the time zones in only a few seconds - that would really confuse the watch Smile

Dammit, now I'll have to step and pause every time I go to the poles! Evil or Very Mad

Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Battery replacement is pennies
Only if you don't care about the water resistance of your watch.

A proper battery change involves not just changing the battery and gaskets, but also performing a pressure test to ensure that the watch remains water resistant. Last time I looked, even basic pressure testers were in the many hundreds of pounds.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Philip
I know a proper battery change costs loads and guarantees you watch to be waterproof to whatever, but as my 100m Seiko only has to survive the shower if I forget to take it off or get caught in the rain, I'm not exactly excited if it isn't waterproof to 100m.
The point that I was trying to make, is that an unofficial battery change costs pennies (if that's what you want to do) but the capacitor change is less frequent but costs rather more.
However, I now read that the 'new' Seiko capacitors are much more reliable (20 years claimed) so perhaps it's no longer a problem Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
However, I now read that the 'new' Seiko capacitors are much more reliable (20 years claimed) so perhaps it's no longer a problem Very Happy

Hmm - it'll do for me (in both senses). Laughing

portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit like phones with auto adjusting time zones, all very handy but when the ship you work on doesn't change time to local on the port visit you may find the alarm goes off an hour early and your opposite number at work thinks its christmas because you turn up to work an hour early!!!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:

Yes. Also at the S-pole the only way you can go is North, and at the N-pole the only way is South. Plus aircraft fly polar routes.

Not that I really care, would just love a new gadget. Even one which doesn't look like one.

But, I wonder what data is embedded if you use a gps enabled camera to take pictures as you fly over the poles? Rolling Eyes
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: