Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Urban Rider Map Update Warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Urban Rider Map Update Warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trenery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: TomTom Urban Rider Map Update Warning Reply with quote

TomTom have just released a new map for the Riders. The problem is that the new maps are too big for the 2gb internal memory of the Urban Rider.

To get over this, TomTom have split the maps into Zones and you have to load the zone you want onto your device from your PC. Which is fine unless you want to ride across Europe from West to East. You will be going over Zones and have no way of changing the zone on your Rider unless you have a computer with you and the necessary map files.

I have also been informed that this is also the case on the TT Rider 2 as the limit on the SD card is 2GB, but I have not tested it yet. However, you can always take additional SD cards with pre loaded zones so it is not such a big issue on the SD based devices.

Also, if you try to do an Urban Rider map update online with TomTom home it is likely to stuff your device as the previous sub 2gb map is no longer supported. We tried to do an update on a brand new Urban Rider a week ago and the device became corrupted and would not boot. I guess TT will fix this issue soon but the Zone problem is here to stay.

Always back up your device before you do an update! Confused

Personally, I think we will here a lot more about this.

Mike
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The rider 2 will take 4GB cards.

I can not believe that the new models have such limited memory.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you can find a non SDHC type 4GB card, Topram and Trancend used to make 4GB SD cards that would work but they are getting rather more difficult to locate these days - Mike
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Only if you can find a non SDHC type 4GB card, Topram and Trancend used to make 4GB SD cards that would work but they are getting rather more difficult to locate these days - Mike

Currently using a Kingston 4gb SDHC C4 card no problems?

I did have an older SD card fail on me a little while back and managed to replace it but then corrupted th new one a few weeks later whilst updating the cameras ( didnt wait for the read write to stop fully)

Just reminded me made a back up before updating the maps must make another one today
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Urban Rider Map Update Warning Reply with quote

Trenery wrote:
TomTom have just released a new map for the Riders. The problem is that the new maps are too big for the 2gb internal memory of the Urban Rider.

To get over this, TomTom have split the maps into Zones and you have to load the zone you want onto your device from your PC. Which is fine unless you want to ride across Europe from West to East. You will be going over Zones and have no way of changing the zone on your Rider unless you have a computer with you and the necessary map files.

The sucky thing is that they have included a whole load on unnecessary detail in the maps, eg outlines of buildings etc which bulk them up and make them not fit anymore. Complete waste of memory space and very annoying.

The device which used to have all of Europe now has to choose between countries. Grrrr. Evil or Very Mad
barryvfr800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a 4 gig SDHC card in my rider 2 and in spite of TomTom saying it would not work it did with no problem at all. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: