Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Frech Data Base
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Frech Data Base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skippy2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Frech Data Base Reply with quote

Any Idea when the new french data base will be relabeled to indicate danger areas as opposed to camera sites. I'am going there shortly and don't fancy going without my warnings as they are getting sneaky but dont fancy having to lose my satnav to a gendarme. ( I know don't speed)!! Shocked
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't committed to a date as we're still looking at what is and isn't permitted under the new legislation. It's typically confused as is the habit of French law.

Little point in us rushing out one solution only to find it is not permitted, or for them to suspend it all once again.

There hasn't been a single prosecution as yet and French sites have stated that Police would require a warrant in order to inspect your satnav/smartphone anyway.

But don't forget your HV vests, bulbs, first aid kit, oh and now your breath test kit as well, mere!
sameday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

There hasn't been a single prosecution as yet and French sites have stated that Police would require a warrant in order to inspect your satnav/smartphone anyway.

But don't forget your HV vests, bulbs, first aid kit, oh and now your breath test kit as well, mere!

I have a portable garage and medical unit in the back of my van to comply. Unfortunately there is no space to carry freight any more, will have to get a bigger van
fredblog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: France Camera Reply with quote

If I take the POIs off of my Zumo 660 before I go, is the sat nav ok as a standing unit for navigation only?
I will have 2 weeks routes on it and it would be a disaster to have it confiscated.
The only POIs I use are the UK,so to not cause any confusioon with the French I can take them off with the Garmin POI loader for peace of mind.
Regards
fredblog Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: France Camera Reply with quote

fredblog wrote:
If I take the POIs off of my Zumo 660 before I go, is the sat nav ok as a standing unit for navigation only?
yes
Quote:
I will have 2 weeks routes on it and it would be a disaster to have it confiscated

There is a lot of needless concern over this, The French police can only inspect your device if they have a warrant or if you have been arrested.

I'd wager that if you've been arrested, discovery of speed cam POIs on your device is the last thing you need worry about!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatNavs are perfectly legal in France. Removing the locations of SpeedCameras shall keep you out of potential danger (assuming you don't speed of course Laughing )
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: France Camera Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The French police can only inspect your device if they have a warrant or if you have been arrested.
Is this a known fact and do the French police know this?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Frech Data Base Reply with quote

skippy2 wrote:
Any Idea when the new french data base will be relabeled to indicate danger areas as opposed to camera sites.

The issue is a lot more complicated than just a "relabelling exercise".

As I understand it (ignoring the argument about what the gendarmes can or cannot do without a warrant), if they find a database with camera locations marked accurately, WHATEVER THEY ARE CALLED, you'll get "done".

Of course, the simplest solution would have been to install the original TomTom camera database.... No one could accuse that of having accurate camera positions listed... Twisted Evil
fredblog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: French Cameras and Sat Nav Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies,I think that the awnsers are more or less saying that the Sat Nav as a navigation device only is safe.
Thanks to the person in Spain for reply.It would be nice to get a reply from France to find out how it's working for the locals.
Regards
fredblog Confused
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been covered elsewhere but I am still worried about the Speed Camera issue in France.

Some time ago when up dating my device the update screen came up with "remove French Speed cams"

which I did and thought that was it - but the debate has continued and when I updated yesterday I noticed that I had up dated two files for French speed cams..
NOW -- am I illegal - I go to France in two weeks and would not like to think that in any way I was contravening anything!!
But if I have downloaded the cams - again
-- How do I remove them?
Or
-- Am I worrying needlessly?
another point
on OUR Speed cur{PGPS world] data base -- do they have French speed cams?

Maurice
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand it TT have created "Dangerous Zones" for their camera database. If you have a recent TT download for France, it shall be legal. Every speed camera is within a zone but not all zones contain a speed camera. The zones which do not contain a camera are randomised (though I don't understand the thinking behind this).

TT have NOT released the ability to create zones to third party developers so, sadly, PgpsW cannot offer their French Speed Cameras in zone format.

The PgpsW European camera download excludes French and Swiss speed cameras so that we may conform to these countries laws as we visit. However, both the French and Swiss cameras are available as an optional addition to the download should we wish to take the the chance of not being caught.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
PhilGarmin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I be okay with just the uk database whilst driving (towing a caravan)around in France?.

If stopped I could clearly demonstrate to them that the nearest camera is say 300 miles away and show them the location on the map.

Alos I have the pocketgps sign on my window, has anyone been to france with this on display?? (or am I pushing it!!!!!)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there was anything about stickers in the new French law Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the French Police need a warrant to look at your GPS, and that is only going to be issued if you are under arrest on another charge, the risk of being caught with speedcam POIs has, in my opinion, been massively overplayed.

You're not going to get stopped just because you have our window sticker!
PhilGarmin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren, window sticker will be staying in.

I'll be keeping just the UK camera database in my Nuvi660.

How about camera alert in the iphone, it it an offence to have the app installed?

Dont really want to bother un-installing the app unless I have to, but would it be possible to have a switch that disables download of database entries if used in France/Swiss?

thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: