Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New firmware being offered Version 11.030 for Go Live 1000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New firmware being offered Version 11.030 for Go Live 1000
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed this last night on my Via Live 120. The first outcome was that the unit got stuck in a reboot loop. Shocked I pressed and held the power button and did the drum roll reset. Technical I know, I don't know what this is called - soft reset?? That sorted it.

I used it on the way to work as usual.

- The new speed camera icons are better even if the data won't be.
- The traffic was retrieved much quicker. By this I mean the "spinner" span for less time! No idea why this should be, probably got a 10 mile horizon now. Smile
- It's no quicker to startup as HenryMitchell said.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:

Alternative route viewer: It doesnt show the alternative, it just switches to it when prompted without telling you what the alternative is first.

I've been struggling with this for some time.
But I've just been told that if you DON'T tap the message, but tap the bottom right of the status bar instead, then you should get both routes shown to you on a map display. Hopefully you then get the chance to choose whether you want to take the alternative or not, (but I haven't had a chance to see what's offered yet).

HenryMitchell wrote:
Speed Cam icon changes: Overall a big improvement. All they need to do is have proper data (sourced from PGPSW?) and it would be excellent.

Watch out for incorrect speed limits being shown!
Also have you seen what happens if you have the road speed showing in the status bar. You now get a speed limit "roundel" sign all the time, and when a speed camera appears that roundel gets replaced by a very slightly larger one.
I find that doesn't give you the same visual cue out of the corner of your eye as nothing much changes on screen.

The fact the PGPSW POI icon now gets "lost" while the TT speed camera is being announced makes it even worse.

HenryMitchell wrote:
Improved zoom: Tinkered with the look/feel and a marginal improvement.

I've been looking at that, and must admit I can't remember what it WAS like. What's changed?
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I'll try out that alternative route plan thing tonight...

I find the speed limits TT data offers are mostly OK but of course "mostly" isn't good enough! It's the missing ones that really annoy- you report them incessantly and they never appear. Some years ago when Road Angel first started providing the TT data I spoke directly to them and they were having trouble integrating the two systems but it never seems to have got better. It's odd because RA have always had reasonably good data on their own devices.

My Go 1005 still shows the same 70/70 as before with the grey or red background. The new big roundel does appear in it's place but only when there is a warning. I don't get the smaller roundel that you describe at other times.

I fully agree that the handling of POI icons in general (including PGPSW warnings) is getting worse, especially when the native speedcam warnings appear.

The zoom icon now has +/- symbols to make it more obvious what it is (why?) and the zoom bar itself now has different gpaphics, bolder +/- buttons and a generally better function.
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
MJJtoddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of round speed sign - you have to turn the 'time' display off - then the rather nice round speed limit sign with show itself in all its glory. If you keep the time showing you will get the old (non round) display.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a sharper - or maybe just "nicer" map display in general

I thought it was just me, as this wasn't listed as a "feature update", but two colleagues mentioned it today too!

I find road speed data pretty good, most of the time. Like Navteq, not perfect but does the job when there are too few sign posts around

Speed camera data for me is also very good - I actually prefer it to the PGPSW data (controversial I know) because it is superb at fixed cameras, and pretty decent now at mobiles. And it's a fit and forget install, which is what I really like (though PGSPW has more data and really is easy to install anyway PLUS I use the PGSPW announcements for the TT Data - cheeky I know!!!) Add to that any my attempts to stay within the limit anyway, and I feel pretty safe. Famous last words...!

For me, job done - just add much more lane guidance to the next map update (due shortly) and I will be one very happy user
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a go at Navigate To...Favourites and find that I have lots of icons instead of the list now and all the favourites that were in there are now lumped under "Other Favourites" right at the end of the list. What's that all about? Not liking it.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty- That is confugurable and can be disabled. I for one quite like it once it is set up with the ones I actually need.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A resolution to the issue from a moderator of a North American forum:

Quote:
If you want fewer to show, just unhighlight the icons in the configure screen.

If you want to remove the screen altogether, go to settings / favorites, then open each of the favorites that has a non-star icon and delete them. Once you only see "star" icons, the entire screen should go away.

If you don't want to rekey each of the favorites you deleted, you can go to "add community content" and copy the favorites.ov2 file to your computer. Then delete each icon per above. Once the screen goes away, go copy favorites.ov2 from your computer back to the device.

playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

I thought it was just me, as this wasn't listed as a "feature update", but two colleagues mentioned it today too!

I find road speed data pretty good, most of the time. Like Navteq, not perfect but does the job when there are too few sign posts around

Speed camera data for me is also very good - I actually prefer it to the PGPSW data (controversial I know) because it is superb at fixed cameras, and pretty decent now at mobiles. And it's a fit and forget install, which is what I really like (though PGSPW has more data and really is easy to install anyway PLUS I use the PGSPW announcements for the TT Data - cheeky I know!!!) Add to that any my attempts to stay within the limit anyway, and I feel pretty safe. Famous last words...!

For me, job done - just add much more lane guidance to the next map update (due shortly) and I will be one very happy user

I have both PGSPW and TT camera alerts on my 1005, how to I set the PGSPW voice to do the TT cameras can only seem to set Chimes?
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another new feature is the TT camera warnings can now be set to only warn if driving too fast.
elljay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
A resolution to the issue from a moderator of a North American forum:

Quote:
If you want fewer to show, just unhighlight the icons in the configure screen.

If you want to remove the screen altogether, go to settings / favorites, then open each of the favorites that has a non-star icon and delete them. Once you only see "star" icons, the entire screen should go away.

If you don't want to rekey each of the favorites you deleted, you can go to "add community content" and copy the favorites.ov2 file to your computer. Then delete each icon per above. Once the screen goes away, go copy favorites.ov2 from your computer back to the device.

Thanks for that! I'd gone into the "configure" option on the Favourites screen and told it I didn't want to show "regular" destinations, but it still showed them anyway! If I went to the last screen and chose the "Other favourites", the list was sorted in non-alphabetic order. I guess it's most frequently visited, but that means you have to read every line rather than just the first letter! Mad Anyway, going into configure and unselecting all but one of the icons takes you back to the previous Favourites screen format of an alphabetical list of all your favourites. Hooray!
elljay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
HenryMitchell wrote:

Alternative route viewer: It doesnt show the alternative, it just switches to it when prompted without telling you what the alternative is first.

But I've just been told that if you DON'T tap the message, but tap the bottom right of the status bar instead, then you should get both routes shown to you on a map display. Hopefully you then get the chance to choose whether you want to take the alternative or not, (but I haven't had a chance to see what's offered yet).

I guess that's controlled by the setting in "Traffic" | "Traffic settings" - you get three options:
* Always switch to that route
* Ask me if I want that route
* Never change my route

If you plan a route then select "Change route" and select say "Calculate alternative" | "Eco route" then the screen shows you a summary of the two routes - I guess the traffic one shows something similar - I've got mine set to to "Always switch to that route", so it never asks me....
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main menu > Live Services > Speed Cameras > Alert Settings

Then point each of the TT categories to your PGPSW voice instruction as appropriate (if you have already uploaded these)

If you haven't uploaded them, just download them from PGPSW and upload via MyTomTom

Works perfectly and performs well

playswell wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

I have both PGSPW and TT camera alerts on my 1005, how to I set the PGSPW voice to do the TT cameras can only seem to set Chimes?

Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playswell wrote:

xtraseller wrote:
Main menu - Live Services - Speed Cameras - Alert Settings
Then point each of the TT categories to your PGPSW voice instruction as appropriate (if you have already uploaded these)

If you haven't uploaded them, just download them from PGPSW and upload via MyTomTom

Works perfectly and performs well

Two points to note here...

If you have used the usual method for the PGPSW voice alerts (keep same name as the .ov2 and add to map folder) then that won't work.

In order to be able to select the voice files you need to have added the PGPSW voice alerts (or any other audio files) to the "sounds" folder on a NAV2 model, or to the "Warning sounds" section of Add community content in MyTomTom for a NAV3 model. (That's what we call "Method 2" in the Voice alert instructions here.
Nothing new there.

As the TT-supplied system only splits the data up into camera types not speeds on that set up page, you can only use generic warning voice files, not the ones that announce the speed limit as well.
You need to use the PGPSW database (or some other third party database) for the full spoken speed limit warnings to work.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elljay wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
HenryMitchell wrote:

I guess that's controlled by the setting in "Traffic" | "Traffic settings" - you get three options:
* Always switch to that route
* Ask me if I want that route
* Never change my route

If you plan a route then select "Change route" and select say "Calculate alternative" | "Eco route" then the screen shows you a summary of the two routes - I guess the traffic one shows something similar - I've got mine set to to "Always switch to that route", so it never asks me....

It all works as you describe but if you have chosen the "Ask me" option it doesn't show you a map of the alternative route so when it asks you if you want to switch routes you don't know what you are switching to!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: