Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions re POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions re POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delboya
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Questions re POIs Reply with quote

A few questions re POIs. I’ve been a Tomtom user for several years, but am only just getting into these – currently on an XXL.

1. Am I correct in thinking you can only add an icon to a POI category, as opposed to an actual POI within a category?? I have a situation where I am trying to set up POIs around a particular city (Le Mans in France), and have a category called LM_Supermarkets. Ideally, I wanted each supermarket in that category to have it’s own icon (ie the supermarket’s logo).

2. What is a .tlv file?? I downloaded a POI file from one of the (many) library’s available, and it put a file in the POI folder with the name POI-name.tlv. When I added the above LM_Supermarket category (using the device itself), it does not add the name into the POI folder.

3. I used PoiEdit to generate the .ov2 files, but when I try to ‘Save to Remote’, it comes up with an error “Remote API Library not found, make sure you have ActiveSync installed”. According to the MS web site, ActiveSync works on XP SP2 or lower – I have SP3. I got round this by manually creating a POI category on the PND, and then overwriting the file generated with the one from PoiEdit using Explorer.

Many thanks in advance

Del
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each POI Category can have its own icon, the icon will apply to every location stored within the ov2 file. It needs to be 22x22 colour bmp file with the file name exactly matched to the ov2 file:

Supermarkets_LM.ov2
Supermarkets_LM.bmp

Forget about the tlv file it's something TomTom Home uses AFAIK to tell the useless PC software where to put the POI files.

When using POIEdit simply save the resulting file as ov2 format then use Windows Explorer to copy the ov2 and coresponding bmp file to the map folder on your device - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

1. You can only allocate one icon to a category, not individual locations within the category. As far as I know this limitation applies to all Satnavs.

2. A .tlv file is a file that HOME uses, and I believe it holds certain information that HOME can use to display data about the category. It's not necessary to have a .tlv file for the POIs to function correctly.

3. With PoiEdit you only need to Save the File and it will be created on the PC. You can choose where to save it, and the format you want to save it in. This is the file you then copy to your Device. You have no need to use ActiveSync for this task.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

1. You can only allocate one icon to a category, not individual locations within the category. As far as I know this limitation applies to all Satnavs.

That's currently the case for TomToms in the UK.
But TT's in America have extra functionality so that for their own (built-in) POIs, different brands in the same category can have their own icons.

In fact if you have a recent TomTom map installed, you'll see a folder called "brands" inside the map folders (it's empty in my Europe folder, but has lots of logos in my North America folder.

As far as I know, even in the US, you can't do the same for your own POI sets. For those it's still one icon per category file.

Last edited by Andy_P on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
delboya
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers, folks. Mainly confirmed what I thought.

FYI Andy - I looked in my Brands folder and there is one file in there - 7310_1.bmp - which I havn't put there. It's a segmented circle, with each segment a slightly darker shade of grey (maps v880 on XXL Europe).

Totally off topic, where the heck is this server located?? My original post was timed some 10 hours in the future!!

Del
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your profile and adjust it to show the time region for your location - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboya wrote:

FYI Andy - I looked in my Brands folder and there is one file in there - 7310_1.bmp - which I havn't put there. It's a segmented circle, with each segment a slightly darker shade of grey (maps v880 on XXL Europe).

Ha ha! Thanks for the info.

I've got that one too, but I'd assumed *I* had put it there sometime in the past, as an experiment! (I do a lot of "tinkering" Wink )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: