Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Accuracy and WGS84 Datum Shift
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Accuracy and WGS84 Datum Shift
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TigerMoff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should speak to OS on this one as I believe it is a problem with the 1:50,000 mapping.
jeepers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I've discovered similiar offsets as discovered in this thread in the South West of England. Looking into it I've discovered that it seems to be the actual OS mapping that is to blame - not the software - although am waiting for memory map's development team to get back to me.
I have found that tracks recorded with my gps receiver in wgs84 output track perfectly on 1:25000 maps (aerial and explorer), but are offset on the 1:50000 maps.
To see what's going on I scanned in paper maps of 1:50k and 1:25K of the same region and overlaid one on the other in a graphics prog.
Here's the result.
This accounts for the offset I'm seeing - very noticable in some areas. Very suprising that the 1:50k maps are out. I would have thought all the maps used similiar if not the same base information.
Cheers,
jeepers
DevilsAdvocate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out walking last week using a 50K map and it was spot on - absolutely.
However when using a 25K (different area) the map is showing position about 50ft further north may be 10-20ft east.
I am up in the Lakes in a cuple of weeks and I intend to test both out, 50K and 25K for the same area.
Regards
Memory Map
Fortuna Clip-ON
Lexar 256MB CF Card
Arkon Mount
AlunS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this thread ...

There was a long discussion on something similar to this on Usenet (sci.geo.satellite-nav) a while ago.

It had to do with the rather simplified way most consumer grade GPS receivers do the transformation between WGS84 and OSGB36. They use a technique called a Molodensky transformation which due to local distortions in the OSGB36 TRF (which aren't compensated for) introduces these shift errors. There is a way of correcting these but it would need the implementation of a rather large (10MB or so) lookup table in the GPS unit which GPS manufacturers are probably loath to do just for one datum. On the OS website there's a tool you can use to do more accurate transformations between WGS84 and OSGB36 which does use these tables of offsets.

This would certainly explain the problems people were having taking waypoints from their GPS units in OSGB format and transferring them to paper maps. Try converting the WGS84 version using the tool on the OS site and then see where you end up.

It's possible I suppose that programs like Memory-Map suffer from the same problem, maybe the calibration of the maps was done using this simplified transformation, I don't know.

Hope this helps Smile
AlunS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, the thread can be found here on Google Groups ... enjoy!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: