Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Etrex (Yellow )
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Etrex (Yellow )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Droftel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Garmin Etrex (Yellow ) Reply with quote

Hi Everyone on this Forum,

I am new to GPS, I have recently obtained an old Garmin Etrex GPS for my wife for when she goes walking, It has the old terminal connection to PC Port so I have purchased a USB Connection to enable me to download maps for the areas that she requests and to update the software via my Sony Viao Windows 7 Laptop.
I have installed the USB Driver to my laptop but it is not working are there any issues with the old Garmin Etrex and Windows 7 that I need to sort out? any assistance would be appreciated. I have installed Mapsource to my Laptop and it will not allow me to connect to device The Garmin is not shown on my PC

Phil Letford
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

AFAIK you cannot transfer any map data to any of the yellow eTrexs.

If you have the Garmin proprietary 4-pin "flat" connector and a suitable USB-serial adapter, then Mapsource should be able to "find" the eTrex on one of the (virtual) COM ports. What version of Mapsource are you using?

To transfer Routes, Waypoints and Tracks, the eTrex needs to be set to Garmin mode. But for debugging, set the eTrex to NMEA (maybe in "simulator" mode) and try receiving the serial data on the PC with something like Hyperterminal (4800 baud).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm afraid the 'yellow' Etrex cannot accept maps, you can however download routes to it. Mapsource isn't the best thing to use, I suggest you try www.bikehike.co.uk, which allows you to view OS mapping alongside a satellite view and create routes that can be downloaded to your Etrex as a gpx file.

I have an Etrex H Legend and find bikehike a great utiity for planning walking routes Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: