Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Sat Nav to buy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Sat Nav to buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rat_tabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Which Sat Nav to buy Reply with quote

Hi to all.
I bought a Navman 510 in early 2005 which then, by virtue of their software update, made into a 520. Bought Map updates twice from Navman at a £100 per pop but alas, no more updates and no more maps!
So having shelled out circa £650 for this and the updates my UK and Europe unit is 'obsolete'.............so time to buy a new one but I want to ensure I can get maps and update them as long as I keep the unit, ideally over the internet/phone.
I don't need bluetooth or MP3, just a good satnav that is 'future proof', mapwise.
Please advise as to your thoughts as to what I should buy?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom and Garmin are the only ones to have offered continuous support legacy models.

Given that, take a look at their ranges.
jbarca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Sat Nav to buy Reply with quote

I dont know about tom tom, but if what you are looking for is something which is future proof mapwise, then i would say go for garmin.

Just by paying a one time fee you will be eligleble for free map updates for life. so your unit will always be up to date. i think the fee is about 90 Pounds. See what tom tom has to offer in this respect.

[/quote]
andy1turner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Satnav for life - NOT Garmin Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong I like the Garmin Mobile XT product especially as there is a PC based packjage on whicvh I can plan routes and thenm exprt to the PDA.

But when I upgraded my phone from Win Mob 6 to Win Mob 6.5 and I couldn't get it to work I found that Garmin no longer support the product on Win Mob 6.5 and have no plans to change.

What good are my lifetime maps now?

Suppose its back to drum beating again and their abysmal arrogant support...........
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: General advice required Reply with quote

My TomTom 910 is increasingly frustrating; maps are out of date and it doesn't tell me the speed limits, plus I find the user interface awkward.

I want a Satnav that:

- continuously tells me the current speed limit;

- has the frequently used functions (e.g. speaker mute/volume) readily to hand;

- has a sensible size screen;

- easily allows the programming of routes via chosen points, so I don't have to choose between simply "fastest" or "shortest" and on/off motorway (or, ideally, which will accept the upload of .gpx routes or tracks that I've devised on desktop software like Memory Map, etc.)

It doesn't need an iPod-like touchscreen, photos, music, mp3 or any whizzy things.

Any suggestions?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin 1490, which has a 5" screen and does what you want. I'm very happy with it and it has performed flawlessly since I got it last September.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: General advice required Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:

I want a Satnav that:

- continuously tells me the current speed limit;

My TomToms do that (left hand section of status bar)

Quote:
- has the frequently used functions (e.g. speaker mute/volume) readily to hand;

My TomToms do that (one tap on status bar for volume, or three taps centre bottom of screen to mute)

Quote:
- has a sensible size screen;

My TomToms do that (4.3" widescreen or 5" widescreen)

Quote:
- easily allows the programming of routes via chosen points, so I don't have to choose between simply "fastest" or "shortest" and on/off motorway (or, ideally, which will accept the upload of .gpx routes or tracks that I've devised on desktop software like Memory Map, etc.)

My TomToms do that (using "Travel via" or the "itinerary planning" for more complex routes). GPX files can be easily converted to .itn files for upload to Tomtom (Or you can use the excellent "Tyre" program to create the routes from Google maps or Google Earth)
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies.

Sussamb: I was looking at the Nuvi 3790 and 1490 on the Garmin site - they seem very similar in many respects. Did you do much research before choosing the 1490 and if so, what were its winning factors?

Andy_P: I didn't know about the conversion from .gpx to .itn option. Can you elaborate a bit - I'm not very clued up on the technical side! Is there a piece of software to do the reformatting or is this something TomTom provides?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly cost ... Very Happy

Route planning was important to me as I need to hold a number of complicated routes on my GPS, after that I looked for the cheapest available.

Oh, and I wanted bluetooth capability.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Route planning was important to me as I need to hold a number of complicated routes on my GPS, .....

That's interesting. How do you plan and upload your routes? Is it a .gpx file thing?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mix ...

Some I plan directly on the nuvi, others I plan on my PC and download as gpx files. The 1490 can only have 10 routes available as 'routes' but you can download as many as you want and then use the 'import' function on the nuvi to import the ones you want. I can therefore store 100's of routes on the nuvi.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
I didn't know about the conversion from .gpx to .itn option. Can you elaborate a bit - I'm not very clued up on the technical side! Is there a piece of software to do the reformatting or is this something TomTom provides?

You can't do it on the TomTom itself, but just do a Google search for "GPX to ITN", and you'll see lots of free converters, such as 'POI Editor' and "ItnConv" are available.

But I would DEFINITELY recommend you have a look at "Tyre" ("Trace your Route Everywhere") which was specially written to create TomTom-readable itineraries from a route you set up on Google maps (and it can also read and write to Garmin Exchange files, Google KML/KMZ formats and several others).

For obvious reasons, a Google search for "Tyre" sends you to a lot of places to buy tyres! Laughing So here's a direct link... Tyre.

TomTom themselves were so impressed with it they integrated it into their 'Home' utility program as an add-on.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy_P - that looks very helpful.
Ramaprem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just by paying a one time fee you will be eligleble for free map updates for life."

I sure wish that this was true for TomTom's products.
Other than that, I am very pleased with my 930T. I have not, however, owned anything else for comparison purposes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: