Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Waterproof ?????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Waterproof ?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCondor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Waterproof ????? Reply with quote

I've had my Satmap for about 18 months using it 3 or 4 times a month on cycle trips or Munro bagging - I have never had any problems untill today. I was riding a 125 mile Audax, we had several hours of heavy drizzle rather than heavy rain. About 50 miles into the event (whilst climbing the Trough of Bowland) the device switched itself off (never done this before). Once I realised what had happened I turned it on again but it would not behave itself, quickly switching between modes for no apparant reason and turning itself off several times. Once I stopped at a cafe control I took the back off (handledar mount) and found that the battery compartment was very wet. That was it and I had to revert to the written route description - it still won't work some 7 hours after I finished.
Has anyone solved the problem of water ingress whilst using the bar mount in wet weather?????

Last edited by TheCondor on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been quite a few reports on the forum of water getting into the Active10 for one reason or another.

Satmap usually blame the rubber ports being left open.

When walking I now use the rubber case but when on the bike I use a small Ortlieb document bag with a small slit cut in the back to take the bike mount ( not my idea,someone else on the forum suggested it ).

The smallest of these:-

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/ortlieb_document_a5_bags/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=137897

Try drying it out by placing it in a container of rice ( dry rice not Ambrosia Very Happy ) and leaving it in a warm place for a day or two.

Mind you I would leak going up and down the Trough of Bowland.

Ian
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are helful hints about water ingress and drying out in this thread.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=83849&highlight=water
TheCondor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the above suggestions both of which I'm following up. I plugged it into the charger today but its obviously not right, flickering and evidence of moisture behind the screen - I'm going to try the bag of rice method and keep my fingers crossed.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you removed the screen protector to wipe off the moisture ?
TheCondor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunatly the moisture is under the the main screen not between the screen protector and the main screen - having a few days in Scotland next week Munro bagging & its looking like I'll be having to brush up my compass skills - very frustrating - especially when I've been telling everyone how good the device is.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Waterproof viz Water resistant ?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCondor - someone earlier has suggested an airing cupboard and a bag of DRY rice - you never know! I guess a few of those sachets you find in suitcases etc would work as well. If you've got enough time before your jaunt.

(It is odd how such an (excellent) product marketed for outdoor use in any conditions seems to have such suspect seals/sealing at the present time.)
TheCondor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time & patience appear to have solved the immediate problem - I will know to be very careful next time I'm using it in the rain - ordered a Ortileb document bag as mentioned above.
I don't know whether its coincidence or not but I now find that my Satmap LiPol battery will not re-charge - only 18 months old so I was going to contact Satmap to see if its covered by the 2 year warranty but having fitted the cradle and the lithium AA batteries the were supplied when new, I think I prefer it to the Satmap LiPol which I was having to unplug when not in use or else it was drained flat (a lot easier to remove the AA's when not in use leaving the cradle plugged in). I'm going to invest in some 2900 re-chargables and try those.
Thanks for the advice - I've learnt a lot since finding this forum. My next problem to solve is having to take out and re-insert my Full GB map card everytime I switch the device on.
Thanks again.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if the battery compartment got really wet it might have shorted and damaged the Li-Pol. I've also heard that the constant plugging and unplugging of the Li-Pol can easily damage the battery connections as well, as they are not very robust.

So when I had the device, I much preferred the AAs, though I found the disposables quite good enough (there's a post about recommended batteries here somewhere) and quite long lived, so I didn't bother with the complication of rechargeables. The Energisers were quite cheap through Amazon, as well as being long-lasting.

I'd be inclined to try and get Satmap to replace the Li-Pol, just so you can ebay it at some point, if you don't like it - I got back almost exactly what I paid for mine when I did that.

What was your 'next problem'? Was the map card ok before you got caught in the rain?
TheCondor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the mapcard not being recognised by the device unless it is removed and reinserted 1st began after one of the softwear updates - it hadn't been too much of a problem untill the device started switching itself off.
Iv'e been out today on the bike on a 90 mile route round the East Lancs lanes & Yorkshire Dales with the cradle and lithium batteries in the unit. All was going well untill about 90 mins into the day when the unit turned itself off (dry & clear conditions). I was leading a small group around a complex system of single track lanes in the Tosside/Wham area of Lancashire so we were relying on the Satmap.
It switched on again straight away (the battery indicater suggesting there was plenty of power left) but of course had to lock on again - and I had to remove and reinsert the mapcard again (whilst on the move - which is not really a good idea )
I had to repeat this procedure every 15 or 20 minutes - It had never done this before it got wet last Sunday - all the settings appear correct - its looking more & more like I'm going to have to send it to Satmap - I intend to phone them tomorrow.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: