Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to install both UK (mph) and Europe (kph) on Garmin Unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to install both UK (mph) and Europe (kph) on Garmin Unit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that, unless your unit can be used as a Mass Storage Device, then you can't do it?

Does the unit have an SD Card and can you load the Camera to it? If so, then try 2 SD Cards, 1 UK and 1 Europe.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gullrock,

1. I load my SD card up using a card reader (rather than having it inserted in the Garmin). Apparently it's quicker that way, but you still have to be patient and wait for the POI loader to finish. It takes me 40 seconds to load 115,000 POIs directly to my SD card.

2. I don't know.

[For my own POIs, I prefer to see a list of ALL nearby accommodation, rather than the nearest Premier Inn or Travel Lodge etc.

So when downloading the POI's from the PGPSW site, I Select the radio button "Combine subcategories into category file".

And in my own UPLOAD folder, for Accommodation etc. I just have individual .csv and .bmp files (not folders).

Dales.
Citman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be doing something wrong, but I can't find the poi.gpi files to rename. I've got a 250w and when it's plugged into the pc I can't find any files of that type. Where am I going wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Dean.
Citman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! senior moment over, I've found the one I need now.
Thanks.
Dean.
ronsoron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: How to Load UK & European Speed cameras. Reply with quote

Dear inspiron.
Thank you very much for the information as to loading the two databases.
This I have done today on a New Nuvi 5000 in readiness for my frequent trips down to Spain.
Previously i have used the SCDB databases and will now look for the difference, especially as I have now loaded the two databases correctly.
I am brand new to this site, so opologies if i have listed this in the incorrect place.
ronsoron (Wallington Surrey ) Very Happy
sbaddison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Nuvi 310T user here with the latest maps & software / firmware.

Just added the UK files in mph and renamed. Also added the EU files in KMH and renamed. Should this work?

Seemed to work well last year but can't quite remember how I did it.

Also, how can I get the Swiss data on?

Got a Snooper Sapphire N unit too but despite being fully updated prior to departure last year it fell silent at Calais.

Thank God for PGPSW data!!!!!

Cheers,
Simon

Last edited by sbaddison on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to Garmin having just got a 3790t to replace my TT940.

Read this whole thread. I think the process, at least on my 3790t, is a little simpler now. It looks like it is no longer necessary to rename files after POI Loader has transferred them as the files are no longer just named poi.gpi. When running POI Loader you can select the folder you want transferred and, by default, it uses the name of that folder to create a new .gpi file with the result that you can have multiple gpi files. Am I right? Obviously, you still have to be careful to choose km when transferring EUR SC files and UK for everything else.

norm
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: UK and European Speed Cameras Reply with quote

briane wrote:
I have just tried my 205W with UK POIs' on harddrive and European POIs' on the SD card.
It works - however for me I'm concerned that I may accidently ask for the European Pois' to be transferred to the harddrive and thus lose the UK POIs'.
For me it is easier to have 2 1GB SD cards.
My european POIs' will be save in Km/hour and when I get to France I will switch my 250W to Km/hour.
Not sure how the 257 POI issue affects the 360T unit.

1. I think that the 257 POI issue has been solved with software updates - but I am not certain.
2. As long as your 2 sets of POI's have different names - eg UKcams and EUcams or UKPOI and EUPOI they will not get mixed up. Also, once you have repleid No to the offer to transfre data to the garmin and ticked the don't ask me again box it wont offer you th echance until you change the file.
3. Provided that when using POIloader you used Miles or Km, as appropriate, the warnings will sound at the right speed whatever your Garmin is displaying as speed units. The POI data is stored on the card in a format that is unit independent.
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking to see if there are any recent updates on this subject but alas no.

I am off to Europe next week and have renewed my Speed Camera Database subscription to update my Garmin nuvi 1490 with both UK & Europe and I am having some difficulties.

Initially I could not understand why I was unable to activate voice warnings and now after looking through various threads have found the answer. I downloaded and moved to My Garmin/Speed Cameras folder the sox.exe file. I then downloaded UK Speed Zoned Complete along with wav files. The I simulated a route and confirmed it works.

I am now unsure however what or how to handle the European files. I have taken a chance and downloaded them in the same way and moved and saved them into that Speed Camera folder. These have now been downloaded onto the nuvi and whilst I can switch over from mph to kph when in Europe I was wondering if I have corrupted anything in doing all of this?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run a simulated route and you'll find out Wink
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Run a simulated route and you'll find out Wink

Thanks, I wondered about that but not knowing exactly where the cameras are I was a little bit stumped.

In the end after switching over from MPH to KPH I simulated a route from Ghent to Brussels and hey presto, a voice warning on the E40. I trusted in the fact that those Belgians would have a few around on the motorways.

Haven't returned to checking out the UK side as I have now run out of battery power and will have to put it on recharge for a while. I'll let you know if it works, I am sure it will but oh what a faff.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you load the Europe and UK database together in one go or load them as two separate databases making sure the UK one is loaded with POI Loader set to MPH and the Europe one with POI Loader set to KPH?
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Did you load the Europe and UK database together in one go or load them as two separate databases making sure the UK one is loaded with POI Loader set to MPH and the Europe one with POI Loader set to KPH?

Ah, I don't think so. I have both UK & Europe databases in one Speed Cameras folder and I must have loaded them all with POI Loader set to MPH and then as I tried to explain in my post, set the nuvi settings to KPH.

Did I do right?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically no.

You've now got the European cameras loaded with KPH settings which is right and UK cameras loaded with KPH settings which is wrong. You need to load them seperately as I detailed above. However once you have loaded one file you need to rename it so the second one does not overwrite it. So load the uk cameras with poi loader set to mph and rename the poi.gpi file to sc_uk.poi

Then repeat with the Europe cameras and poi loader set to kph.

When you don't need both sets anymore just delete the poi files and reload the one you do need.
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Basically no.

You've now got the European cameras loaded with KPH settings which is right and UK cameras loaded with KPH settings which is wrong. You need to load them seperately as I detailed above. However once you have loaded one file you need to rename it so the second one does not overwrite it. So load the uk cameras with poi loader set to mph and rename the poi.gpi file to sc_uk.poi

Then repeat with the Europe cameras and poi loader set to kph.

When you don't need both sets anymore just delete the poi files and reload the one you do need.

I know that I have done it all wrong as earlier on I simulated a route where I know of a UK fixed camera and whilst it showed the 30mph warning the 'vehicle was only traveling at 19mph which was in effect 30kph.

You are probably going to hate me from going over all of this again as I am being a little thick, but where should I be looking for that poi.gpi file to enable to rename it?

Can't I have two separate files in my speed camera folder on my laptop and name them one UK and the Europe and download them via POI Loader to the nuvi?

Your help is appreciated and I am sure that there will few others out there who will also be pleased with this mini tutorial.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: