Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Forward facing camera - (Are makers running out of ideas?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Forward facing camera - (Are makers running out of ideas?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryd1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Forward facing camera - (Are makers running out of ideas?) Reply with quote

Well! Here's one to think about. Why don't they incorporate a Roadhawk type camera into their satnav. see here http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/crash-for-cash-video.html The Roadhawk or similar system would set you back a couple of hundred quid, but most of the components (apart from the camera) are already present in your satnav so it may only cost an extra hundred for this facility. Any other ideas?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be a good idea but it would require the nav is mounted on the windscreen.

The only issue I can foresee is that the ideal position for a blackbox camera is up by the rear view mirror and that is far from ideal, or practical for a nav but still worthy of consideration.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone carries their sat nav everytime but the RoadHawk would be better as permanent install or even a permanent feature on all new cars.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Not everyone carries their sat nav everytime but the RoadHawk would be better as permanent install or even a permanent feature on all new cars.

I agree that systems such as this should be a standard fit. But until that time, it'd be a nice plus for a nav.

The downside is cost. They are so desparate to cut costs and with every penny counting, the additional cost of the camera, and the memory card slot would all factor against it.

And another issue would be the camera needs to point forward whereas most of us have the nav angled towards the driver. Not insurmountable but it all weighs against it being possible - cheaply.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd REALLY love to see would be some way of putting your own files onto a SatNav such as a file with all my family members houses and all the McDonalds etc so if the kids get hungry when I'm out and about we can grab a burger. That would be really useful instead of having to rely on the built in ones which are woefully inaccurate and/or out of date. It could also be expanded to be able to give warnings as you approach (not for McDonalds, but maybe speed camera locations, low bridges and school zones etc!

I have a TomTom VIA Live and it's not able to do this. TomTom are regarded as the market leaders of SatNav's so I presume you cannot do this on ANY other SatNav's. There's a great opportunity for them to get ahead of the pack if they could add something like this!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to add the [sarcasm] tag to that last post...
newtomoneowner
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
What I'd REALLY love to see........

MaFt wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to add the [sarcasm] tag to that last post...

I dont think it needed it mate.. Very Happy
terryd1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera could be one of those tiny lens on the end of a 2ft cable which would enter into the top of the satnav and would be attached to the windscreen as high as needed with a suction pad.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryd1 wrote:
The camera could be one of those tiny lens on the end of a 2ft cable which would enter into the top of the satnav and would be attached to the windscreen as high as needed with a suction pad.

Or even wireless.

A few years back I reviewed a Binatone SatNav that had a wireless camera that you attached to the rear number plate (powered via the reverse light). Once you engaged reverse it kicked in on the satnav and showed you the video feed. From the back of a car the quality and signal strength was very good. Perfectly feasibly to have a similar set up. Camera could then stay in situ and record once it links up with the satnav.

Not sure if this would make it more expensive than a standalone unit though...!

Here's the review: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/binatone-t430-camera-review-r6491.php (I miss my Fiesta Crying or Very sad)

MaFt
terryd1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure if this would make it more expensive than a standalone unit though...!

That was my point MaFt because the satnav has lots of the components builtin already, the premium could be £50/£100 instead of paying £200.

That Binatone looked very interesting as well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: