Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New map download KO'd my 750
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New map download KO'd my 750
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the fact that it was described as an Office settings file is a bit of a red herring. Files are only given type description because of the 3-letter extension on the end of the name (i.e. .cfg) Your TT would completely ignore this association.

Do you have Windows Explorer set to "Hide extensions of known file types"? If so, all you have done is renamed your existing mapsettings.cfg file as mapsettings.cfg.cfg, effectively deleting it. Your TT has therefore had to create a completely new (empty) mapsettings.cfg, and hence you have lost all your camera alerts, favourites, recent destinations etc.

I would suggest;
1. Alter you computer's Folder Options so that extensions aren't hidden. This will prove (or disprove!) my theory.
2. Delete the new mapsettings.cfg file - after making a safe backup of it somewhere.
3. Rename the mapsettings.cfg.cfg file to remove the additional extension.
4. Trying the favourites trick as described by Andy_P & PaulB2005.
hazzamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using the emulator in TT Home, and deleting your recent destinations.
Ginger
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
I suspect the fact that it was described as an Office settings file is a bit of a red herring. Files are only given type description because of the 3-letter extension on the end of the name (i.e. .cfg) Your TT would completely ignore this association.

Do you have Windows Explorer set to "Hide extensions of known file types"? If so, all you have done is renamed your existing mapsettings.cfg file as mapsettings.cfg.cfg, effectively deleting it. Your TT has therefore had to create a completely new (empty) mapsettings.cfg, and hence you have lost all your camera alerts, favourites, recent destinations etc.

I would suggest;
1. Alter you computer's Folder Options so that extensions aren't hidden. This will prove (or disprove!) my theory.
2. Delete the new mapsettings.cfg file - after making a safe backup of it somewhere.
3. Rename the mapsettings.cfg.cfg file to remove the additional extension.
4. Trying the favourites trick as described by Andy_P & PaulB2005.

You are entirely correct. I've deleted tht file with the double .cfg and the unit is now working fine with the new map setting file, even though i've had to set everything up again.
The new map settings file has been annotated with a Microsoft office logo and is described as an Outlook configuration file?
Thanks everyone for your help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginger wrote:

The new map settings file has been annotated with a Microsoft office logo and is described as an Outlook configuration file?

You're the second person recently to find Microsoft Office has "stolen" some file associations (the list of which file types are opened by which program).
Have you recently installed Office 10 by any chance? The previous problem was when someone found all downloaded .zip archive files were suddenly "belonging" to Office.

Nothing has changed apart from somehow MS Office has decided that it should handle every .cfg file. That's why Windows has added the Excel icon and that's why *if* you double-clicked on the file Excel would run and try to open it.

This doesn't really matter as you never need to "run" any of the files needed for the TomTom, you just copy and paste them to the device.
jadonx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 750 live was also self rebooting after the latest map install. On previous map upgrades I have used the the add favourite trick in the emulator.
This time I just held the reset for 15 seconds to reset the device then all worked ok. No settings appear to be lost by this. Laughing
wireplay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: wow, this worked for me! Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I was SO annoyed (yet again!) with TomTom and their dodgy updates and flaky hardware that I sent them a scathing email saying how rubbish their bug testing procedures are!

I updated my map using the map update service - which is something I PAY them for - and it killed my device whenever I pressed Navigate To.

I found out that it was the mapsettings.cfg file and removed it and the deive then worked, but I lost all my favourites! So finding this forum post was amazing as I managed to do the connect to a computer trick and it now works fine!

I think my TomTom is also now quicker since the last update - when they split up the maps about 6 months ago, my device was as slow as hell, and very frustrating, but a quick test of the new maps seems to show it operating much faster! :-)

Thanks again to the person who posted this fix, as without it I would have lost all my locations :-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: