Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera Procedure Nissan Connect
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera Procedure Nissan Connect
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
airborn wrote:
The unziped file reads: (pocketgps_xx_sc ) no mention of csv in my download file but it does say Microsoft Excel under the title ??

Darren wrote:
That's fine. You must have the file extensions (the .xxx bit after the filename hidden), that's normal with a Windows machine.

I don't want to butt in on Darren's walk-through, but if you want to set your PC so it shows you the FULL filenames including the three letter extension (such as .csv in this case) do this:

Andy_P wrote:
To get Windows to show you the three letter extensions to the file names, do this:
Start either 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' and:
Go to the 'Tools' Menu,
Select 'Folder Options'
Select the 'View' tab
Scroll down the list of entries and UN-tick "Hide extensions for known file types"

The above is for Windows XP, I the process is pretty similar for Vista...
Click Computer to get a display of your drive letters then at the top left of this screen is a button labeled "Organize" click this then select the "View" tab and continue as above.

Hi Darren

Ihave carried out Andys procedure and i now get the ( .csv ).

I now have the stick F:\ now has 2 folders (1) myPOIs & (2) myPOIWarnings.
Folder 2 contains the download pocketgps_uk_sc.csv Microsoft office E... 381kb

now what do i do next??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you firstly confirm that folder 2, is contained within folder 1?
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
That's fine. You must have the file extensions (the .xxx bit after the filename hidden), that's normal with a Windows machine.

But once unzipped you should have a number of files? Have you removed all except the pocketgps_uk_sc one?

Next step is to plug-in your USB memory stick. Once you can see it in Explorer you need to ensure the folder structure matches exactly the one provided in the guide, i.e.

x:\myPOIs\myPOIWarnings

In other words, you need a folder at the top level of the memory stick (the level you first see when you browse the memory stick) called myPOIs and within that there needs to be one called myPOIWarnings.

The case of the file name is important.

Once you are happy that it is correct, right-click the pocketgps_uk_sc file, select 'copy' then browse to the folder called myPOIWarnings on the memory stick, right-clik again and select paste.

If you've done things correctly you will see the pocketgps_uk_sc file within the myPOIWarnings folder.

I now have pocketgps_uk_sc.csv file in myPOIWarnings folder.
I now assume that the memory stick is ready to download to nissan connect?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need you to answer my previous question first? You have not done so yet.

It is very important that the folders are nested, the myPOIWarnings folder must be contained 'within' the folder called myPOIs and myPOIs must be at the top level of the memory stick i.e. when you open explorer and browser to the memory stick, you must see that folder and not have it within another folder.

If that is all correct then you can insert the memstick into your Nissan and follow the guide from there.
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I need you to answer my previous question first? You have not done so yet.

It is very important that the folders are nested, the myPOIWarnings folder must be contained 'within' the folder called myPOIs and myPOIs must be at the top level of the memory stick i.e. when you open explorer and browser to the memory stick, you must see that folder and not have it within another folder.

If that is all correct then you can insert the memstick into your Nissan and follow the guide from there.

Hi
I am confused once again what do you mean nested. I am trying to get to grips with this system so if there is anyone who has a detailed windows vista deatailed stage by stage procedure showing images as nissan connect show please forward as this becoming a nightmare.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to be patient and walk you through it as slowly as possible. If you re-read what i wrote, you will see that I explain what 'nested' means. Nested means that one folder needs to be contained within the other.

Think of it as a filing cabinet. Within the filing cabinet is a folder (the myPOIs folder) and within that folder is another called myPOIWarnings. This is described as folders being 'nested' in computer parlance and is why a Russian Doll is sometimes described as a Russian Nesting Doll.

It is important for this to work that they are located correctly.

Quote:

I appreciate you are finding this difficult but it is very basic computer file handling and I can only assist you and walk you through it if you at least read what I have written and think it through.
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm trying to be patient and walk you through it as slowly as possible. If you re-read what i wrote, you will see that I explain what 'nested' means. Nested means that one folder needs to be contained within the other.

Think of it as a filing cabinet. Within the filing cabinet is a folder (the myPOIs folder) and within that folder is another called myPOIWarnings. This is described as folders being 'nested' in computer parlance and is why a Russian Doll is sometimes described as a Russian Nesting Doll.

It is important for this to work that they are located correctly.

Quote:

I appreciate you are finding this difficult but it is very basic computer file handling and I can only assist you and walk you through it if you at least read what I have written and think it through.

Hi

I am sorry but i dont understand and i have read your instuctions and tried to apply them. I informed you that i was a novice and most of the computer info i have dealt with are in most cases laid out in what is known as an idiots guide with screen displays. I feel rather concerned that you think i am simple and if you cannot provide the info in a more understandable way i am afraid i do not want to subscribe and request a refund.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think you are simple but I am struggling to describe this any more clearly, does this image help?

You can see in the image (a mock up) that the Memstick is drive letter E: and within it is the 'myPOIs' folder and within that is the 'myPOIWarnings' folder.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to butt in Darren.
Airborne. Can you display the file structure as Darren has shown above. If it is not like that, then double click the folder myPOIs, which will be 'empty' in the right hand pane of the window. Right click within that blank right hand pane and select New ~ Folder. When the folder has been created inside the MyPOIs folder, rename it to myPOIWarnings. The structure should now be as per Darren's picture above.

BTW there is no need to quote the post that you are replying to, just use the 'Post Reply' button at the bottom of the post instead of the 'quote' button. Very Happy

I'll butt out now Very Happy
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at the folder with the csv file in it, can you confirm that the "address" bar just under the menu says...

F:\myPOIs\myPOIWarnings

If it does then you're ready to stick it into the car.

User guides are often written based on user feedback. I've been doing IT support for almost 20 years and have always found it difficult to write guides without feedback from users. Honestly, we're just using your responses as feedback without making any assumptions about you at all.
Brodit ProClip mount

Last edited by GerryC on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea,but maybe If airborn gave a rough idea where he lives someone nearby could PM him with the view to him either sending them his memstick to check the folder structure or perhaps talking him through it over the phone?
Once the folder structure is correct I think he will be okay.

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Sorry to butt in Darren.
Airborne. Can you display the file structure as Darren has shown above. If it is not like that, then double click the folder myPOIs, which will be 'empty' in the right hand pane of the window. Right click within that blank right hand pane and select New ~ Folder. When the folder has been created inside the MyPOIs folder, rename it to myPOIWarnings. The structure should now be as per Darren's picture above.

BTW there is no need to quote the post that you are replying to, just use the 'Post Reply' button at the bottom of the post instead of the 'quote' button. Very Happy

I'll butt out now Very Happy

Hi Gentlemen
You will be pleased to know that i have now been able to download cameras on nissan connect as adirect result of Darrens illustration.
As i previously stated i am a novice and more to the point i have never seen a memory stick until a week ago let alone any procedures in using them. I feel it is very important to ensure all your installation procedures are supported with illustrations as per Darrens example. The existing procedures are very basic and i am sure there are many novices out there would find it very difficult to implement them.
Most downloads are supported by illustrations even those one can obtain on Youtube.

This has certainly been a learning curve for me and I strongly suggest Pocketgps improve on there download procedures no matter how simple they may appear to your team it can only improve your relationship with members after all we do pay a subscription and surely it cannot be that difficult to do.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airborn wrote:
Hi Gentlemen
You will be pleased to know that i have now been able to download cameras on nissan connect as adirect result of Darrens illustration.
Brilliant. Well done Very Happy (genuine, no sarcasm intended)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: