Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 855 Maps Out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

855 Maps Out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Initial impressions of the new maps - pants!!

Yesterday it tried to route me down the Alderley Edge bypass which has only just started construction and isn't due to open until sometime 2011!!!

Today, in Bradford city centre, it tried to tell me to turn right where you couldn't, send me the wrong way down one way streets and also seemed rather out of date with the current road layout in quite a few places!!

Why do we bother???

When I got my TT device last year the M10 was changed to an extension of the A414 since then I have corected it on all the maps. Now this may seem a non important correction but it is if you want to get to or from Hemel Hempstead with a restricted licence. Major motorway changed to an "A" road, just get on and do it TT.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TeleAtlas is the big letdown here.

I've compared some of the inaccuracies in the latest Teleatlas release (the one on their own website) for my area against the Navteq equivalent latest release site and Navteq win hands down from what I've seen. In my area certainly.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
alrobbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
alrobbo wrote:
Managed to get the map finally updated, full WCE on Go 750.

Tried putting back my previous mapsettings.cfg but the unit would cycle through booting up and then resetting and booting up again. New mapsettings.cfg reinstalled and the 750 now works. Just need to redo the PGPSW camera warnings again...

With your previous mapsettings.cfg on, try going into "Operate my device" in HOME then add a favourite, that usually works for me.

Thanks Calomax - worked a treat. Never had that problem before, either with this 750 or my 520 before that when updating.

Still had the same problem with the unit resetting though, until I connected back to HOME, and "operate my device" then went through all of the options which were causing the unit to reboot - small things like navigate to POI in city, Google search in city, navigate to street address/post code - and it now works - properly! Very Happy Very Happy

Still miffed though that we have to faff about to get things back the way they were though. Rolling Eyes
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2216 wrote:

When I got my TT device last year the M10 was changed to an extension of the A414 since then I have corected it on all the maps. Now this may seem a non important correction but it is if you want to get to or from Hemel Hempstead with a restricted licence. Major motorway changed to an "A" road, just get on and do it TT.

TomTom seemed well up to date on this one and got the changes in layout here and the 50 mph speed limits and lanes done very quickly, it changed several times during the construction which TomTom kept up with. They just have not changed the road numbering/classification.

Map corrections on the device will only change the road number displayed and unfortunately will not change the road classification for routing purposes. Google maps also still show this as the M10, which was never really a major motorway.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well me internet connection is back on, albeit slower than normal, but I guess it's just re-syncing itself.

I've been allowed to use the LMG for this map & it took about 90-105 mins to download & it installed without a hitch on the memory card, so I've deleted the one on the unit, tested it out & all is fine! Very Happy

The live traffic is even up to speed as well! Shocked

So now I've got TWO sat navs which are working perfectly. Rolling Eyes

Now which one to keep & which one to sell? Confused
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
2216 wrote:

TomTom seemed well up to date on this one and got the changes in layout here and the 50 mph speed limits and lanes done very quickly, it changed several times during the construction which TomTom kept up with. They just have not changed the road numbering/classification.

Map corrections on the device will only change the road number displayed and unfortunately will not change the road classification for routing purposes. Google maps also still show this as the M10, which was never really a major motorway.

What I was trying to say was if you set routing to avoid motorways you can't use the A414 from the London road St Albans roundabout to the Hemel junction. Changing the road name isn't a problem, the classification is.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions are disconcerting on A414 (M1 J8/J7) Southbound when taking the A414 (ex M10) as they tell you to "take the motorway" which if you did not know the junction and went to the blue signposted motorway instead of the green A414, you would end up on the M1 southbound.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The instructions are disconcerting on A414 (M1 J8/J7) Southbound when taking the A414 (ex M10) as they tell you to "take the motorway" which if you did not know the junction and went to the blue signposted motorway instead of the green A414, you would end up on the M1 southbound.

So basically we have a sat-nav system that is fine provided that you know where you are going Confused

TT are always good for a laugh (or cry).

And we pay them money - more fool us Embarassed
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot anything wrong with the above screen grab??

Well for a start its an XL IQ Live so its not equipped with a microphone so why has the useless Home application decided to add the Voice Recognition files to it consuming 27MB of what is becoming rather inadequate spare memory capacity.

If you have an XL IQ or XL IQ Live and have updated to 855 maps you might want to delete the following two files from your map folder as they cannot be used by these devices:

cspeech_GBR.dat
cspeech_IRL.dat

The above files apply to the UK&ROI map, if you have the Western_Europe map installed then I would guess there will be even more cspeech_XYZ.dat files that can be removed

NOTE this only applies to the XL IQ and XL IQ Live - Mike
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

If you have an XL IQ or XL IQ Live and have updated to 855 maps you might want to delete the following two files from your map folder as they cannot be used by these devices:

cspeech_GBR.dat
cspeech_IRL.dat

The above files apply to the UK&ROI map, if you have the Western_Europe map installed then I would guess there will be even more cspeech_XYZ.dat files that can be removed

Yes, there is a .dat file for each country so even if you use voice recognition you can delete all the languages you do not use. I do not use voice recognition and had guessed that was what the files were for and deleted them to my computer. Sizes range from 26kb for VAT (Vatican has a few extra words of Italian???) to - guess which is the largest - French at 56MB. English is 21MB

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was good of TomTom to email me today to tell me that new maps (855) were available.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
Yes, there is a .dat file for each country so even if you use voice recognition you can delete all the languages you do not use.

The point I made was more to do with the device I was updating, an XL IQ Live doesn't have a microphone so it can't use Advanced Speech Recognition - Why install files that can't be used - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
It was good of TomTom to email me today to tell me that new maps (855) were available.

And me Laughing
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
alanji wrote:
Yes, there is a .dat file for each country so even if you use voice recognition you can delete all the languages you do not use.

The point I made was more to do with the device I was updating, an XL IQ Live doesn't have a microphone so it can't use Advanced Speech Recognition - Why install files that can't be used - Mike

What I dont understand is why a voice recognition file is part of the map? I would expect it to be in the Loquendo folder since I assume Loquendo is used both for TTS and voice recognition!

Presumably Home just copies everthing in the map folder to the device irrespective of the model.
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I could now fit more of Europe into the spare space, thats if TT would offer it to me. You never know they might give me back what I paid for.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: