Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

Stupid question time!

I want to update my Speed cameras on my new 265WT but looking on the device I see poi.gpi and the size is 27953 KB so am I correct in thinking that also includes the Garmin Cameras as well? Because I know that if I just use poiloader to upload the current pocketgpsworld speed cameras it will be gone forever...Help please!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just copy the folder as is now onto your PC in say the "Garmin" folder so it's backed up & then just use POILoader to upload your POIs.

Because you've backed up the original & have in on your PC, it doesn't matter too much that it gets overwritten because you can (should) be able to replace it if you need to.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The Garmin cameras are stored in a file called UKCyclops.gpi or similar name and is not overwritten by the user POIloader. In fact if you go to settings: then proximity points, then select Proximity Alerts, Change .You should see two check boxes one for Garmin Safety Cameras and the other for Custom POI's. You can select either or both. Selecting only Custom POI's will mean the unit will alert you not only for Pocket GPS world cameras but all user POI,s, it will not alert for Garmin cameras, even though those are still on the unit in the Cyclops file.

If you check both options you get duplicate alerts for some cameras (where the two data bases have the same camera stored. The only advantage of the Garmin stuff is that they only alert if a camera is on route and on your side of the road. Pocket GPS cameras will alert when you are within the defined distance whether on or off route.

Incidentally Speed Camera alerts (of either flavour) only operate if you are above the limit.

Terry Walsh
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have bought a TomTom, you wouldn't have that problem then.

Having just ditched a second 3790T, which is the biggest pile of crap out.
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the suggestions and the information however it is the size of my POI.GPI that worries me - I would not have thought that the speed zoned camera files, around thirty I believe, would have been converted by POILoader to over 27MB sooo what else is in it? Should I rename it to something else and then go ahead with the latest cameras?

If you want to discuss, elsewhere, which is best then Navigon cannot be beaten!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it can quite easily, because to put cameras on to a Navigon system you have to pay for software to do it.

As speed camera warnings are the prime objective of this site, by paying for the software to upload them to a Navigon you're in effect paying for the warnings twice.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I can confirm that my POI.gpi file is only 1011KB and that it contains the speed zoned camera files and about 4 other categories. That said I do use garmin gpx coverter to cconvert my files to gpx and set the alert distances differently for each speed zone.

27MB does seem excessive and suggests a problem somewhere I think.

Wazza just becuse you have issues with the 3790 it does not make all Garmin sat navs crap. I use a low end and cheap 205 plus a number of their Aviation models and have absolutely no problem with them.

TerryWalsh
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I disagree.

Garmin's interfaces are some of the worst, most cumbersome & clunky I've had the misfortune to come across.

Still I guess you must be very easily pleased. I doubt that they'd dare to give me a testers job because I'd pull things apart so readily. I find most things are programmed poorly with very little thought.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see what's in your poi.gpi file with Where to?...Extras...Custom POIs.
Perhaps you've got lots of "tourist" pois as well as cameras.

My poi.gpi file is 37,042Kb - but that includes my voice warnings.

Dales.
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
because to put cameras on to a Navigon system you have to pay for software to do it.

Incorrect. It is fiddly and time consuming but no additional software is required.

I have looked into the POI.GPI file and at first thought that it had trebled the files however dales last para has, I think, the answer in that I have the location, a bitmap and a wav file - making three!
I will try assembling the latest files and compare the results - I have renamed POI.GPI.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davegthomas wrote:
Quote:
because to put cameras on to a Navigon system you have to pay for software to do it.

Incorrect. It is fiddly and time consuming but no additional software is required.

I have looked into the POI.GPI file and at first thought that it had trebled the files however dales last para has, I think, the answer in that I have the location, a bitmap and a wav file - making three!
I will try assembling the latest files and compare the results - I have renamed POI.GPI.

If that's the case then, someone better tell the mods to alter the camera installation instructions, because that's what I'm going by.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davegthomas wrote:
Quote:

If that's the case then, someone better tell the mods to alter the camera installation instructions, because that's what I'm going by.
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have completed the latest camera updates, shortened the file names etc. and the POI.GPI file is just 9004 KB very much better.

Thanks to all who contributed.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:

we were informed by a beta tester that some new models had some support for POIs however we have zero information about which models can use them, what format they need to be in or how to install them...

as such there's nothing on the compatability chart!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: