Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - It's here - Michelin Green Guides
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

It's here - Michelin Green Guides
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Michelin Guides Reply with quote

Thank you. I have sent a number of emails but they keep bouncing back for some reason. I will try again.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote
Quote:
Is this related to the Fresh update issue?
It could quite possibly be in fact. Problems reported include downloading issues even where the device is recognised. Navigon said recently (24 June)
Quote:
we are very sorry for the inconveniences.
Unfortunately, the adjustment from Fresh 2.0 to the 3.0 version did not run as smoothly as usual with NAVIGON. We plan to offer as soon as possible a Version 3.1 for Windows & Mac updates, which will eliminate most of the difficulties. Since the applications are still in the testing phase, we cannot tell you a concrete release date, but will keep you updated on this issue.

The problems include
Quote:
- Device detection for Mac
- Installation optimized for Windows 7
- Software upgrades and software updates for 8xxx-series work
- To work for FreshMaps Q2/2010 8xxx series
- Further optimization

They have been working on Fresh 3.0.3 for some little while and at one point thought it might have been available last week, but it looks as if they are still having problems with it.

And don't hold your breath for a reply to any support calls at the moment - your best bet is probably to check Navigon's FaceBook page periodically for news.

I'm interested in the Michelin guides too but am not ordering them for the moment - and I'll also post here when/if there is any good news.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Michelin Guides Reply with quote

As I travelling to France this week, I decided to try to buy the Michelin Guide (yes again), directly using Fresh. It worked fine (I did not upgrade to any new version) and downloaded to my 8310 with no problems. I still have not had any reply from Navigon to my emails!

Still looking forward to the new 70 Live Model
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Michelin Guides Reply with quote

Just an update on this to be fair to Navigon. I received an email from support this morning:

"thank you for contacting the NAVIGON support team.
We could see that you already bought "Michelin Guide to Restaurants and Hotels" again and that this order is active in your acount. Our question is now if everything is ok now and if you can use the product now? We also sent a request to our shop to cancel your first order. The case number for this request is CAS-196753-7DYY. You will receive a email about this as soon as we have the answer from our shop.
If you have further questions in the meantime, do not hesitate to contact us again."

so they are quite responsive and understanding.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us (ME!) know that. I've been getting quite concerned about the deterioration in their support, and your experience is very encouraging. One person had been complaining about having bought a product which they couldn't install (the Fresh problem I think) and having a refund refused, so I actually didn't think they would do that, never mind be so proactive.

I'm still waiting for the new Fresh as I want to buy the two guides off the International site and save myself ~ £11, with the £ doing well against the €. That is supposed to be tomorrow Thumbs Up .
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Via Michelin Guides Reply with quote

I have been using the Michelin guide on my 8310 over the last 5 days in France and I must say that, in general, I am disappointed. For those of us who were the owners of the Via Michelin PND it is a particularly disappointing experience. To look up a restaurant or hotel you MUST specify the exact town or village in which the place is located. As you know many of the nicest restaurants and hotels in France are not in the towns. So it is very limiting but of course still useful.

In 2 out of 3 times, I did not end up at the proper location of the restaurant or hotel, but I seem to recall this was an issue with the ViaMichelin PND as well. In one case, I was spectacular directed to a farm house on some narrow track when I was being directed to a well known hotel near Annonnay whilst I was trying to get there before the restaurant closed! We were not even close!

I will now go back to my previous practice of carrying my ViaMichelin PND with me and using the exact address for the establishment I am looking for.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi michaelj2 - sorry to hear about your disappointment, but glad that you are still flying the VM flag!

I'm not saying this is a complete solution (using your VM IS I guess the most direct) but without a spare VM, there are a couple of additional (& undocumented of course) ways of searching for POIs that Navigon did tell me about (under pressure!), which would allow you to at least search a locality you are interested in, rather than a precise location. Just in case they are of any use, they are

(While NOT Navigating)
Quote:
Go to the options in the main menu and click on "show map" and move the crosshair to the desired position. Then zoom in on the desired location and apply this position after this a screen comes up, where you can choose "Search Nearby".

(While Navigating)
Quote:
switch to Destination Search screen, click 'show whole route' icon, zoom into destination, centre, and select. 'Search Nearby' option comes up on menu, and then you get POI category list (and zooming in shows POIs on map as well).

In my house I've just checked the first which does bring the 'Near By' Michelin POIs up. Haven't actually tried the 'On The Road' method yet so not sure how convenient that is (but at least it's possible!)

(BTW, anyone found of any other extra undocumented ways of POI searching?)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: