Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - W&CE v 850 map released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

W&CE v 850 map released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update to my issue... with my v850 on a USB memory "device" plugged in, I get the "change map zone" option when I manage my device. Clicking it, however, just gives "There are no map zones available for this map."

So is the issue with the map not being zoned at all?
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is ant different with the latest version of Home, but if I connected (Mac) with the 4GB SDHC card in my 720, I was always told I did not have enough memory...

Using the card (with a full copy of the internal memory files on it) in a card reader, I have had no problems, and provided you copy the mapsettings.cfg file from your backup, then "Operate my Go" in Home and create a new favourite, all your favourites, warnings etc are preserved.

If you copy the mapsettings.cfg file from your backup but don't use 'Operate my go' in Home, it will go into a constant reboot cycle.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
Then if possible connect the SD card through a card reader to TT Home and follow my instructions to the letter!

Try if possible not to have your device connected, as I think if it sees only the SD card it won't incorrectly assume you don't have sufficient space.

Ahah! That's the bit I missed. My SD card reader didn't support SDHC, so I just nipped to the shop next door to buy one. First time that failed as the drivers were installing, but pulling it and putting it in again made Home recognise it as a TT, and it is now downloading the big one.

Many thanks for persisting with my fumblings.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
adobbing wrote:
Then if possible connect the SD card through a card reader to TT Home and follow my instructions to the letter!

Try if possible not to have your device connected, as I think if it sees only the SD card it won't incorrectly assume you don't have sufficient space.

Ahah! That's the bit I missed. My SD card reader didn't support SDHC, so I just nipped to the shop next door to buy one. First time that failed as the drivers were installing, but pulling it and putting it in again made Home recognise it as a TT, and it is now downloading the big one.

Many thanks for persisting with my fumblings.

No problem!

Seems to be the way around whatever their issue is with memory cards!

Also remember the other OP's tip......

provided you copy the mapsettings.cfg file from your backup, then "Operate my Go" in Home and create a new favourite, all your favourites, warnings etc are preserved.

If you copy the mapsettings.cfg file from your backup but don't use 'Operate my go' in Home, it will go into a constant reboot cycle.

Also once you are happy with it working, I would back it up somewhere again.
I don't think you can ever have too many backup's, so long as you organise them properly!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harley-noj wrote:
Hi All
Following the advice here I've managed to download the full map to my 4gb sd card in my 720. I used the card reader trick, it downloaded ok but would not copy to reader. So I put the card back into the 720 and it copied OK
Thanks for the info
John Very Happy

Same here. Although I was installing it onto an almost empty 4GB card, it would not offer me the full map until I cleared space on the 720's own memory (I did this by temporarily removing the map I had on that device). It then offered me the full Western Europe map and installed it onto my card. The modify POI/reinstall original mapsettings.cfg trick didn't work for me so I had to redo all my camera warnings! But hey, they have at last incorporated the new one way system in the middle of Swansea, which has only been operational for 3 1/2 years (and one crucial section is still shown as 2 way - where do they get their information from?)

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One additional thing to ensure - plenty of space on the C: drive, presumably for \Temp files. It downloaded, then failed to install complaining about not enough space on C:. Fortunately, after making more space, it allowed me to manage my maps and switch without further download.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a bit of a faff....2gb & 4gb cards, re-formatting, bad read/writes, server errors, got there in the end. However, I have no idea what major map upgrades \I've got that just cost me 2 hours of hassle.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:

Didn't work for me. I have a 4GB SD card in my 720 and removed all maps from it so that I had more than 3.8GB free. I tried Change the Map Zone and was only offered the three sub-regions, not the complete map.
Incidentally, I can't use the card reader with Home. When I try it brings up a page showing how to register a card with Home (which includes making a Home backup), but then says that it can't be done with a 720. Is this wrong?

Robin

The most annoying thing is the inconsistency of the thing. I also have a 720 with a 4gb SD card that had a reported 1.85gb free when I started the download. It looks like it cleared the card as part of the process, as it installed the full western europe map without any prompts whatsoever....(it did prompt for regions when I tried a blank 2gb card)...odd.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the full map is over 2GB its not really surprising that Home offered regions when presented with a capacity of only 2GB, given a 4GB card with scope to remove the old map frees up sufficiant space for the full map so Home just gets on with it and installs the full map - Mike
Wendolene
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my previous post regarding a continual reboot loop after installing the new maps.

That has now ceased since I deleted the mapsettings.cfg file and let the device write a new one. However, I obviously lost my favourites.

Following further advice here, I deleted mapsettings.cfg, and using my card reader (mSD card removed from the device), ran TTH.

I used TTH to "Operate My Go". This generated a new mapsettings.cfg file. I then quit TTH and copied my original mapsettings.cfg (the one with my favourites in), back to the mSD card. I started TTH again with my mSD card in the reader (not device) and ran "Operate My Go".

Brilliant! My favourites where all there. I then simply quit TTH and ejected my card from Windows and inserted it into my device.

To my surprise, my favourites had disappeared again! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? What have I done wrong?

If i put the card back in the reader and run TTH again, the "Operate My Go" feature doesn't so my favourites either. My device must be overwriting the mapsettings.cfg file, but why? My internal device memory is empty, all files are on the mSD card.

Someone please explain what I have done wrong as I am at the end of my tether with this blessed thing!

Updated maps work though! Just want my favourites back too!

TomTom Go Live 750

App: v9.510.1234792.103
Map: Europe v1005.8763
All installed on a 4GB Class 6 microSD Card.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion that may or may not work......

At the point where the favourites ARE there on the sd card in the card reader, when you operate my device in Home, make a change to one of the favourites, add one, delete one, edit one, doesn't matter.

Then, shut down Home completely (using the icon in the notification area of the computer).

Now, insert the card in the unit. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer. Are your favourites back?
Wendolene
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. That didn't work either. Bummer.

I confirmed the file size of mapsettings.cfg was approx 11kb from Windows Explorer when the favourites were there and BEFORE i put the card back into the device.
When I have put the card back in the device an turn it on, NO FAVOURITES. I switch the device off and take card out. The size of the mapsettings.cfg file has gone down to approx 1kb, hence no favorites

The device over writes the file, but why!! It works OK with the mSD card in the reader when I use TTH to "Operate My Go" IT'S THE SAME CARD I PUT INTO THE DEVICE!!

Sorry to rant. It's not at anyone here, just SOOOOO annoyed with the thing.

TomTom Go Live 750

App: v9.510.1234792.103
Map: Europe v1005.8763
All installed on a 4GB Class 6 microSD Card.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As the full map is over 2GB its not really surprising that Home offered regions when presented with a capacity of only 2GB, given a 4GB card with scope to remove the old map frees up sufficiant space for the full map so Home just gets on with it and installs the full map - Mike

mike,

My download screen showed a map size of about 1.8 something gb, not 2GB. Did I miss something.
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

I'm trying to install the new "2GB" map using the Latest Map Guarantee. Home does not offer regions when presented with a capacity of only 2GB, instead it insists I delete files to make space!
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 8gb card with a copy of the internal files on. TTH sees that as another "Internal" and happily lets me use it. But it still only offers me the regions and not the full maps. Anyone know why?

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: