Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - W&CE v 850 map released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

W&CE v 850 map released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
compost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem using a card reader. I transferred all files to a 4GB SD card because I could not get my GO720 to be recognised by the PC.

I now just put the SD card into the card reader and Home immediately launches and sees the SD card as a GO720.
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an XL Live and subscribe to teh Map Update Service which I took out in Nov 09. I'm not even being offered the new map. If I go teh map page in home I can get teh new map but only if I subscribe to teh update service again.
Yet another call to Tomtom !!!
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shires999 wrote:
I've got an XL Live and subscribe to teh Map Update Service which I took out in Nov 09. I'm not even being offered the new map. If I go teh map page in home I can get teh new map but only if I subscribe to teh update service again.
Yet another call to Tomtom !!!

Have you updated to the latest version of HOME?

Current = 2.7.5.2014
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Everything is as up to date as it can be (except the maps of course !!)
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DinAlt wrote:
OK here's how to get it all onto an SD card if you're usign a 7XX Tomtom..

Firstly you can't use a card reader since Home won't recognise your SD card when put in alone... (this is actually mentioned in their help pages from TomTom Home but not on the website - reading between the lines this is because it's easy to spoof them into letting you use a map you haven't paid for - ie we're being treated just like users of TomTom Navigator..

Any how what you need to do is as follows:

OOPS almost forgot DO A FULL WINDOWS BACKUP FIRST!

1. Make a complete copy of your internal memory to your SD card (make sure you've enabled hidden files etc in your windows settings

2. Open TomTom Home - select your memory card as the active device

3. Select update my device

4. You will be told that there's not enough room on your device and be offered some files to delete - make a note of these file locations (note you want the locations of the files on the device itself not the memory card)

5 Abort the upgrade and reopen windows explorer and delete the files you made a note of in stage 4 from the device

6. Reopen TomTom home and select upgrade - this time it should run without an hitch (making room on the device itself will allow the download to occur and it will actually update your memory card not your device - basically their idiot software won't allow an upgrade if the device is full even if you're not using it)

7. Do the normal restart routine (copy a recent back up of mapsettings.cfg back into the new map and use operate my GO in TomTom home) and everything should be fine - you can now delete all of the files on your internal memory BTW

Hope this helps

DinAlt

Edited for clarity

I followed a similar but slightly different method to do this...

1. I made a backup using windows explorer of my device (GO Live 740) pre update.
2. I then used TT Home to get the map update and selected the Western Europe option from the 4 offered.
3. I then updated using TT Home to get the TT safety cameras / latest fuel prices etc., so that it was bang up to date.
4. After checking on TT Home/ operate device it had lost my speed camera settings / recent destinations.
5. So I then copied the Mapsettings.cfg file from the backup to the same location in the new map folder, this restored speed camera settings and recent destinations.
6. I made another backup using windows explorer.
7. I then formatted a Micro SD card using a card reader to ensure it was empty (I used a 4 GB version)
8. I then copied everything from the newer backup to the memory card using a card reader and windows explorer, so that both card and internal memory of GO 740 live had identical contents.
9. After disconnecting and powering off the GO 740 Live I inserted the Micro SD card and then reconnected.
10. I was asked to select memory card or internal memory, which after checking windows explorer, I selected the corresponding drive letter for the Micro SD Card.
11. Then I clicked on “Manage my GO” and selected the maps tab on “Items on my Device” tab
12. This showed both card and internal memory maps and I selected the “change map zone” for the card.
13. I was then offered 5 options for maps instead of the 4 offered previously, as it correctly identified the availability of space for the full map on the Micro SD card.
14. After selecting the “Western and Central Europe 2GB” option I downloaded and installed it to the card.
15. Again using TT Home / operate device I noticed it had lost the speed camera settings / recent destinations.
16. So I then copied the Mapsettings.cfg file from the newer backup to the same location in the new map folder.

All working fine with and I can now switch between the 2 maps at will if necessary, without needing to connect to TT Home!
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
How much room have you got on the XL and what voices do you have installed?

On my XL LIVE with 845 W&CE 2GB installed I had over 200Mb free. To achieve this kind of free space delete all voices apart from Jane, delete the raster folder and delete all files that begin with cspeech out of your map folder.

With my v850 folder copied from my USB stick "installation" deleting it down to one voice, no cspeech files or speedcam ogg files, and removing the mac & windows home installers, brings it down to 2.05GB. At best, there is 1.9GB available on the internal memory on the XL Live so that's a no go.

As it currently stands, I still have v845 on the internal memory of my device. According to TomTom Home there is 198.8MB free space available with v845 installed. Unfortunately, v850 is quite simply too big to fit.
Wendolene
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Endless Reboot Loop. Reply with quote

Set the scene:

All files/maps installed on a 4GB SCHC class 6 mSD card. Internal device memory completely erased.

Existing maps (845) / app & POI work great directly off the mSD card. I have updated it many times via TTH with the latest QuickFix files etc. Also PGPSW Speed Cam POI's installed OK too.

When I update I always take the mSD card out of the device and use a card reader to do the file transfers etc. I then put the card back in the device and it usually fires up OK with the latest POI's and QuickFix database installed. I also made a copy of the mapsettings.cfg file as recommended here.

Problem:

Took mSD card out of device and put it in my card reader as-per.
Fired up TTH and was offered the latest 850 maps W&CE as one BIG download plus QuickFix updates too. This, I thought was OK as I have more than enough space on my mSD card.

TTH downloaded the new maps and other stuff, it istalled the apparently successfully to my mSD card. I copied back my mapsettings.cfg file. Ejected the mSD card and inserted it back into my device.
On turning the device on, I got the usual screen, then my personal splash screen then after some time it rebooted. It does this in a loop none stop. Just turning on, showing my spash screen then off etc...
I have tried a soft reset etc.

I am at a loss what to do.

Obviously I have a full backup of my mSD card made using Windows Explorer so I hope to be able to fall back to that if required.

Any suggestions please?

TomTom Go Live 750

App: v9.510.1234792.103
Map: Europe v1005.8763
All installed on a 4GB Class 6 microSD Card.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Endless Reboot Loop. Reply with quote

Wendolene wrote:

I copied back my mapsettings.cfg file.

I seem to remember doing this with my 940, delete the file and reboot, not copying back creates a new one and you have to reinput your information. I now put my favourites as POIs.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Endless Reboot Loop. Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
Wendolene wrote:

I copied back my mapsettings.cfg file.

I seem to remember doing this with my 940, delete the file and reboot, not copying back creates a new one and you have to reinput your information. I now put my favourites as POIs.

I also remember this being the solution to this problem when I got it, sometimes it doesn't like you using an older version of the file and refuses to start up!

If it works and you are desperate not to have to re input all your speed camera setting etc. you could also try the other version of the file you can find in your TT Home backup, if you have one!

If you get the same problem you can always delete that as well and start from scratch.
Wendolene
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you.

I deleted the mapsettings.cfg file completly. Turned on my device (mSD card inserted of course!) and it fired up OK!

I then copied back my old mapsettings.cfg file and that works too!

So thanks for the handy tip.

Another question:

Although my POI's are still working (PGPSW Speed Camera database etc) I have lost my recent and favorite destinations. Is there a way of restoring them? Perhaps from a file in the backup I have made.

Thanks.

TomTom Go Live 750

App: v9.510.1234792.103
Map: Europe v1005.8763
All installed on a 4GB Class 6 microSD Card.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendolene,

You need to start TomTom Home and use "operate my go" - this normally gets the mapsettigs.cfg file back in synch after you copy one from an old map. See my post above.

Edit - you updated just as I replied Smile

Copy the back up of mapsettings.cfg back onto your memory card and then go to operate my go - you should get everything back - worked for me last 3 or 4 times I've changed maps etc.

Regards,

DinAlt
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've upgraded to 4GB SD, and it boots off it, but I can't get the complete map to be offered. I removed the partial W&CE, copied back the original big one, and it offered an upgrade, but only modular. Is the complete map available at all? Is there a way to manually download it, and then link it to my device?

I'm at the end of my upgrade subscription any day now, so would like to have the whole lot available.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I've upgraded to 4GB SD, and it boots off it, but I can't get the complete map to be offered. I removed the partial W&CE, copied back the original big one, and it offered an upgrade, but only modular. Is the complete map available at all? Is there a way to manually download it, and then link it to my device?

I'm at the end of my upgrade subscription any day now, so would like to have the whole lot available.

As per my instructions above, I would get a working version of the western sector on the internal memory, then copy that completely to card.

Then follow 9-16;

9. After disconnecting and powering off the GO 740 Live I inserted the Micro SD card and then reconnected.
10. I was asked to select memory card or internal memory, which after checking windows explorer, I selected the corresponding drive letter for the Micro SD Card.
11. Then I clicked on “Manage my GO” and selected the maps tab on “Items on my Device” tab
12. This showed both card and internal memory maps and I selected the “change map zone” for the card.
13. I was then offered 5 options for maps instead of the 4 offered previously, as it correctly identified the availability of space for the full map on the Micro SD card.
14. After selecting the “Western and Central Europe 2GB” option I downloaded and installed it to the card.
15. Again using TT Home / operate device I noticed it had lost the speed camera settings / recent destinations.
16. So I then copied the Mapsettings.cfg file from the newer backup to the same location in the new map folder.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:
As per my instructions above, I would get a working version of the western sector on the internal memory, then copy that completely to card.

Hmm, I think I've done exactly that. I presume by Western Sector you mean the new v850 western segment map?

I note, as it is still downloading the northern zone now, that it says in the actions it is going to do:
* Download Europe - Northern Zone
* Download fuel prices
* Install to memory card
* Install to internal memory
* (more map share stuff)

This surely is not right therefore? It presumably is restricting my options due to internal memory restrictions, yet I've selected to use the SD card.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
adobbing wrote:

Hmm, I think I've done exactly that. I presume by Western Sector you mean the new v850 western segment map?

I note, as it is still downloading the northern zone now, that it says in the actions it is going to do:
* Download Europe - Northern Zone
* Download fuel prices
* Install to memory card
* Install to internal memory
* (more map share stuff)

This surely is not right therefore? It presumably is restricting my options due to internal memory restrictions, yet I've selected to use the SD card.

Once it completes, check that your recent destinations and speed camera settings etc. are working, if not try the old mappsettings.cfg

Then if possible connect the SD card through a card reader to TT Home and follow my instructions to the letter!

Try if possible not to have your device connected, as I think if it sees only the SD card it won't incorrectly assume you don't have sufficient space.

If it sees that you have sufficient space available you should be offered the 4 sector maps plus the full 2 GB Western and Central Europe map.

I tried several ways of doing this unsucessfully before finally settling on the method I described, it then worked!

Basically get a working copy of any of the 850 maps on the SD card, then update this and only this using the change map sector function.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: