Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - latest maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

latest maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsouter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: home version Reply with quote

The version of home I installed this afternoon was 2.7.5.2014. Maybe they started offering that yesterday. I hadn't logged in for a few days
Duncan

go 1005
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, misunderstood then. I thought TT support had told you that another new version of HOME would be out to support the new maps.

I suggest everyone goes to the TT support site, searches for 'email about my map update service' and then provides feedback using the 'Was this answer helpful?' option, choosing no, and then submitting comments. The site still says that it will be released by the end of June, they haven't updated it!
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still says the same at 1923! Have followed your suggestion about comments!
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

I suggest everyone goes to the TT support site, searches for 'email about my map update service' and then provides feedback using the 'Was this answer helpful?' option, choosing no, and then submitting comments. The site still says that it will be released by the end of June, they haven't updated it!

It's HERE Very Happy
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Guys, I know I'm going to get some flak for this, especially as I do not subscribe to the Map Updates myself but, you know that when you do eventually download the new maps they shall still be out of date and include inaccuracies. At least, this time it would appear that TomTom may finally have listened to their customers who are fed up up with system crashes after a new release and are taking their time to release a map dependent on quality and not on time. TomTom have already stated that they shall extend the map updates period so that you do not loose out. So, 17 or 18 months for the price of 12.

Mañana, Be Patient. You can't loose!.

EDIT - Unless of course they are late and it still crashes Confused
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are so right there .I would rather have working maps then them be on time ....... but as long as they are working
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols, it would be nice if you were right, but this appears to be due to the fact that the map is now just too big for the devices. They skimped on the costs during manufacture, and are now having to re-work it in software to fit the data in. I doubt the map itself will be any better than usual. Indeed, the UK 850 map is already out, so if someone has that we can check.
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to buy the UK&ROI version of the XL Live IQ Routes 1, and waited until I was certain that the new maps were definitely available for this before placing my order. When I went to Amazon I saw that the EU version was about the same price so opted for that instead. Sadly, I've been bitten by the "look before you leap" mantra and should have checked first that the latest maps were available for the EU version before making my purchase... but who in their right mind wouldn't have assumed that they were??

As it happens, my Live services only got activated for 3 months so I have had an ongoing support ticket discussing that. Now that it's been resolved I asked if/when the 850 maps would be out. I was told

Quote:
Map of Western & Central Europe 2GB v8.45 is currently still the latest map. The Western & Central Europe 2GB v8.50 still has not been released for the XL LIVE IQ Routes devices. If this will be released soon (within a month), we will be able to offer it to you

I've asked how likely this is, and what happens if it is not released within a month. I'm very close to just sending the whole thing back to Amazon for a full refund and waiting a few weeks before seeing what happens regards maps etc....
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
AliOnHols, it would be nice if you were right, but this appears to be due to the fact that the map is now just too big for the devices. They skimped on the costs during manufacture, and are now having to re-work it in software to fit the data in. I doubt the map itself will be any better than usual. Indeed, the UK 850 map is already out, so if someone has that we can check.

I've got the UK 8.50 and can't see any changes, still got the same errors that have been there for the last 2 years

Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can actually see some changes in the new 850 map where I live and not just integrated map corrections. My road now has house numbers (present in v6 maps but missing in all old v7 and v8 maps until now) again and they're all accurate.

They have also integrated all the right turn restrictions and some of the new mini roundabouts I reported.

There are of course still mistakes, like phantom roads that don't actually exist etc.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt865 wrote:

There are of course still mistakes, like phantom roads that don't actually exist etc.

Can you give any examples of the phantom roads ?

Sometimes these are deliberate... almost every map producer adds deliberate errors (called "trap streets") so they can prove breach of opyright if someone else produces a map with the same error.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom roads:
Small road off roundabout does not exist
Not a road, just the edge of a field
Several phantom roads through these industrial buildings
But at least TomTom/Teleatlas are on the ball with this new road which is on the version 850 UK map but not open yet:
New road I couldn't link to Google maps for this one as they don't show it yet.
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Phantom roads:
Small road off roundabout does not exist

Looks to me like they'd doubled the Cul-de-Sac there....

Quote:

Not a road, just the edge of a field

I've been correcting this one via MapShare (ha ha) for ages!!

Quote:

But at least TomTom/Teleatlas are on the ball with this new road which is on the version 850 UK map but not open yet:
New road I couldn't link to Google maps for this one as they don't show it yet.

True. TT must have been on to TeleAtlas for this one, as I queried how I can change the A16 from Stamford into the A1175 for when this road FINALLY opens!!
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Matt865 wrote:

Can you give any examples of the phantom roads ?

Sure...

http://is.gd/deQRI

The road appears on Google Maps as well (the one between Library and Darwin Roads), it is shown as connected to Giles Lane but no such road exists. The footpaths are basically shown as roads.

Another annoyance is when two roads are shown as connected but aren't - http://is.gd/deRhm

On Google Maps, Moat Lane and Whitstable road are shown as being joined, but they aren't.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of those examples is specifically mentioned in any of the articles on "trap streets" that I've seen. But some of them look good candidates to be one (eg the stub off the roundabout - causes no confusion or problems, but instantly recognisable).

Obviously the mapping companies are not going to publish lists of their deliberate errors - it would defeat the object! so it's all guesswork really.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: