Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kenwood DNX-7260bt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenwood DNX-7260bt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Kenwood DNX-7260bt Reply with quote

Hi Folks, I'm new to the forums so hello. Kenwood DNX-7260bt (Garman City Navigator Maps I belive) My question is do the speed camera database work with this Head Unit? Regards Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

The first thing we usually ask people who ask this about a unit is "Can it load 'third-party' or 'user' POIs? Does it mention POI files in the manual anywhere?"
The camera database is just another set of POI files, so that is a good indication of whether it will work OK.

I think your Kenwood is very likely based around a Garmin unit (as didtinct from just using Garmin maps), does the manual or any of the displays mention that at all ?

Secondly, the compatibility table HERE mentions several other Kenwoods with similar model numbers that work:
DNX-7200
DNX-7220
DNX-7240/BT
DNX-8220/BT
DNX-9240/BT

....so it looks pretty likely yours will work too.

But the best way to check, before you subscribe to the camera database, is to try downloading and installing one of the sets of free POIs from here (see the "POINTS OF INTEREST - Free POIs" link on the left of this page).
If you can install on of those and set up an audible warning when you approach one of the places, then the camera database will definitely be compatible.

I don't know your unit, but you might well have the facility to run a "demo" of a route past the POI location you choose to test, rather then actually having to go out driving!

Hope that helps!
Andy
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to try the above bear in mind that POILoader sets the camera alerts based on the file names and file contents, so it is done automatically by POILoader.

The "normal" pois would set up alerts unless you set POILoader to Manual mode and set your own alerts.

I would guess from the previous models this one can accept the database.
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy & PaulB2005,

Thank you for your replys. It can load third party poi’s. I did notice your speed camera database works with the 7240bt; my model is one that has succeeded it. I have downloaded and made my own poi’s and they route me to them with no problem. It doesn’t have a demo mode. I also have a Tom-tom 720, the cameras work well from Tom-tom. Can you tell me if your camera database works only in the direction of travel, as there is nothing more annoying to keep getting alerts that are on the other side of the carriageway? What happens then is you start to ignore them. Once again thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately both TomTom and Garmin only allow directional alerts for their own databases.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the demo mode on the garmin either turn off the gps (somewhere int eh settings) or sit indoors with it. if it doesn't pick up a satellite signal it will prompt you to turn it off. once it's off and you hit 'go' for a route then it will ask if you want to simulate the route.

MaFt
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt

The Kenwood DNX-7260bt is a factory fitted head unit in car, and as far as I’m aware it doesn’t have a demo mode. The problem is unless I can get speed camera poi’s free for the UK, which I doubt very much, I can’t tell if they will work on the above unit. I was kindly informed by PaulB2005 that I’ll get both carriageways alerts. Thank you for your input.
Crying or Very sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was kindly informed by PaulB2005 that I’ll get both carriageways alerts.

Not necessarily. I stated it wouldn't be directional.

In some cases (such as motorway) where the road is split into 2 distinct lanes (on the map) you won't get alerts from the "wrong" direction. The same where an A road is split into 2 roads on the map, however many A roads aren't split so you will get "false" alerts.

At the end of the day the "false" alerts aren't that big a deal. I'd rather have a "false" alert to a camera that was facing the wrong way but was accurate to a false (or worse NO) alert caused by an out of date database.

Finally given that the database has worked on all the Kenwood DNX models so far i can't see why it wouldn't work on this one. You could try installing something like the Fuel Station database from the POI and use "Manual" mode in POILoader to set up an alert to test...
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PaulB2005, I said I will get both carriageway alerts, which is what you said “it is not directional”. Will load some fuel stations as you suggested and see what happens. The reason I’m asking all this, is that it’s no good paying for a database if it’s not what you want or doesn’t work properly with ones device. Regards Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiddler wrote:
Thanks PaulB2005, I said I will get both carriageway alerts, which is what you said “it is not directional”. Will load some fuel stations as you suggested and see what happens. The reason I’m asking all this, is that it’s no good paying for a database if it’s not what you want or doesn’t work properly with ones device. Regards Wink

you could always rename the fuel POI to have a '30' in the name. poi loader will automatically assume it is a 30mph speed camera and will alert in the same way as our 30mph files do.

MaFt
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt
jimyol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Kenwood 7260BT - does it work? Reply with quote

Thanks all. The thread is very interesting and informative, unfortunately it doesn't reach a clear conclusion as to whether or not the camera database loads onto the 7260BT and works ok. Can anybody confirm that they've done this successfully, also if it can be done I'd appreciate a simple guide.
Thanks again, Jim
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimyol. Follow these instructions from PocketGPSWorld. It does work ok for the Kenwood DNX7260bt head unit. Cut and paste this link into your browser.:- http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-kenwood.php

Should help. Very Happy
fireisland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Doesn't copy from the SD card Reply with quote

I've followed the instructions. Used POI loader and added voices succesfully. When I put the SD card in the unit I get NO request to copy files BUT the menu icon for proximity alerts is there under settings. I remove the SD card and it disappears. Reinsert the card and it reappears. You get the idea.
Notifications seem to be working OK but only with the card in.
Am I doing something silly? Does the card need to be present ALL the time?
The PDF on the Kenwood website says download the consolidated database BUT because I want a custom voice I downloaded speed zones. Could this be the reason?
It isn't a big problem BUT i'd rather not leave the SD card in there all the time.
Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: