Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom XL IQ Routes2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom XL IQ Routes2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laughingravy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Tomtom XL IQ Routes2 Reply with quote

Just got my hands on the latest badboy.....not too sure about this crappy "simplified menu", put my pocketgps speed cams on....but where the hell do you set distances and sounds?.....any advice on this major annoyance would be appreciated.

Ta
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no option to set the Warn When Near POI on that device, take it back to the shop and get a refund as its not fit for the purpose intended, the box should state it doesn't support third party POI files unlike the previous XL IQ, simplified = Dumbed down, get rid of it - Mike
laughingravy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed cams, POIs etc show up on the "browse map", but nothing on the main screen....serious disasppointment, bought direct from TT, how can i return it now i've used it.....really hacks me off...... Sad no good to me what so ever!!

Is the more expensive "live" version the one i should have got ?
laughingravy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just phoned TT, they blamed PGPS....Laughing Out Loud...... Laughing and had no idea why it didn't work.....they are refunding me shortly...... Twisted Evil
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughingravy wrote:
Just phoned TT, they blamed PGPS....Laughing Out Loud...... Laughing and had no idea why it didn't work.....they are refunding me shortly...... Twisted Evil
How can it possibly be the fault of PGPSW when THEIR software does not allow for warn when near???? Shocked
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read the new PGPSW newsletter & noted that 'The latest TomTom devices to hit the streets do not support 3rd Party POI warnings' If that's the direction TomTom are now going & which may well feature in OS updates my 550 will be the last TomTom that I buy & I'll be looking round for an alternative. I am already less than impressed with the live services that I pay for so it looks like the writing is on the wall Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I very much doubt the established models will have features removed other that local Government/ Eoropean Legislation that bans a certain capability (as happened with the FM Tx in the x20 and x30 models, once a work around was established the capability was re-instated).

I cannot see TomTom removing the Custom POI support from existing devices, the recent newer models devoid of Custom POI support might just be "testing the water" to see if users really need this function - Rather a large gamble though as I wouldn't purchase any unit that couldn't accept Custom POI files as the POI files supplied with the device are nothing short of pathetic - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I wouldn't purchase any unit that couldn't accept Custom POI files as the POI files supplied with the device are nothing short of pathetic - Mike

Nobody would *if* they knew about it. but as we know, TomTom make no effort to tell you about this limitation at point of sale or in any of their marketing gumf.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give TomTom some credit though as they seem to be accepting returns and offering refunds for devices that are being sent back because of the missing features.

Funny how there doesn't even appear to be any reviews online anywhere about these "new" units, the cynical side of me says this is because they (TT) won't send review items out due to the bad press such reviews would generate?? - Mike
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I did a review of my new XL Live IQ Routes I'd have nothing but praise for it. I even love the easy port mount now I've got used to it.

Speed Cameras aside do people really need POIs? I would think the vast majority of users just stick an address or post code in and off they go.

I think TomTom is a fantastic product which is why it leads the market and why all you people who keep on bashing them keep on buying them.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that people who are previous TomTom owners have GOT USED to these features, and don't like it when they are taken away without it being mentioned at all.

Personally, I use POIs all the time....
Apart from the speed cameras, I have all my family and friends addresses in one category, and all my children's friends addresses in another (Dad's taxi!).
Then I have POI categories for
Work Addresses,
Petrol Stations,
DIY Shops (B+Q, Homebase, Hafords etc.)
Electrical shops (Curry's PC World etc.)
Supermarkets
Bird Reserves
Campsites
Cash machnes
... which I use all the time. Far easier and more logical than just having a few Favourites (which are limited to 24 I believe).

Then there are ones that I use to fill gaps in the "Travel via.." function, such as:
Motorway Junctions (exits and entries),
Service areas, and
London Thames Bridges
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLee wrote:
Speed Cameras aside do people really need POIs? I would think the vast majority of users just stick an address or post code in and off they go.

I am with Andy_P on this, I too have work addresses and personnal addresses along with a lot of shops, stores and other places that I am likely to visit stored as POI's on my device.

There are a few (my brother for one) who just type in the post code and off they go. His TT gets so little use that I think all the places he has used it for are still in the "Recent Destinations" folder! Rolling Eyes

If I was buying a new TT and I couldn't use my existing POI database then I would be bitterly disappointed! If this is removed from future devices then my TT XL Live IQ will be the last TT I ever buy! I bought mine in March so it looks like I was lucky enough to get the older model which supports 3rd party POI's!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Ian, I very much doubt the established models will have features removed other that local Government/ Eoropean Legislation that bans a certain capability (as happened with the FM Tx in the x20 and x30 models, once a work around was established the capability was re-instated).

I cannot see TomTom removing the Custom POI support from existing devices, the recent newer models devoid of Custom POI support might just be "testing the water" to see if users really need this function - Rather a large gamble though as I wouldn't purchase any unit that couldn't accept Custom POI files as the POI files supplied with the device are nothing short of pathetic - Mike

Fingers crossed then Mike although nothing would surprise me with TomTom
laughingravy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unit sent back via UPS and TT also picked up the bill for the return, i've decided to update the IQ Western Europe device i have and am downloading the map to TThome as i type........ Smile

Have updated my TTpostcode files from the backup i took of the XL b4 it went back, but has anyone got any idea if i can get text to speech to work on my IQ Western Europe unit?....

Ta
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike has probably seen in the US forums, TomTom is not giving our buyers much choice when it comes to the interface. All the most recent models offered here have the Start/Ease type. Even the 1000 is said to use the Start/Ease menu if/when it's sold in North America. Tho I might agree that in truth the simplified menu has nearly all the functionality most users really need, those looking to upgrade are going to be sorely disappointed. Customization has been one of the bragging points compared to their chief rival. Unlike Europe, the model lineup here in North America is quite limited. No x50's, only one x40 model, the 740 Live and no assurance the 1000 will ever make it here. With new models exclusively Start interface, I'm waiting for some very vocal complaints in the next few months as current owners find the need to replace their device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: