Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Making POI Files (FAQ)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Making POI Files (FAQ)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenBruce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: POI icon format Reply with quote

I have a POI file which I am posting in the public domain. My problem is that I am not sure what format the icon file should be to suit all Garmin car satnavs. I downloaded the speedcams from this site to inspect the icon file which accompanies them. They are 22x22 pixels in bitmap.
I mentioned this on the Garmin forum and was told I should use 16x16 format to ensure compatibility with all Garmins.

I don't have a Garmin myself but I need to provide this file for Garmin users.

Any comments please on the format?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16x16 is fine but most Garmins can use upto 24x24. See the Compatibilty Table here
KenBruce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks PaulB2005,
Sorry my search of the forum didn't find that page before. Most useful.
I think I'll design one of each format and leave them to pick whichever suits Thumbs Up

cheers
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 48x48 icons on a Streetpilot i3 and all that happened is it shows the top left corner of the icon. No crashes or anything.
tankerman10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a POI file for my Zumo 550, using a PGPSW .csv file as a template. As far as I can tell, the formats are the same but the POI don't appear on the device after I've downloaded all my POI files using POI Loader.

I've checked the associated .bmp image against a PGPSW POI one and the formats are identical. If I open the files using Notepad, entries under the headings 'Name' and 'Details' appear in inverted commas in the PGPSW file, with all columns delineated by commas. In my file, there are no inverted commas. I don't know why this is, and it appears to be the only difference.

When I save the file, Excel (2003) comes up with the message 'Kite_Beaches.csv may contain features that are not compatible with CSV (Comma delimited). Do you want to keep the workbook in this format?' 'Yes' keeps the format and leaves out compatible features; 'No' preserves the features but the workbook then has to be saved in Excel format. This is the same for PGPSW files. Confused

Can anyone help?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmins guide is here

I would just use Notepad to edit the file. You only need inverted commas (") if you need to use Line Breaks. Personally i never bothered...

Does your Custom POI appear under Where To?, Extras, Custom POIs?

If you use Excel make sure it's not doubling the extensiosn i.e. saving it as filename.csv.xls or filename.xls.csv

Let me know if you want me to look at the csv and bmp...
tankerman10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul.

I've looked at the Garmin guide and can't see any difference from what I've done. My POIs are all in sub-folders within a Garmin\POIs folder on my PC. The files I've created are in a sub-folder \Kitesurfing and are named Kite_Beaches.csv and Kite_Beaches.bmp. All my POIs appear under Where To? Extras Custom POIs, apart from the Kitesurfing folder and its contents.

I'd be grateful if you could look at the .csv and .bmp. How do I send them to you?

PS. I've just downloaded the files I created onto my wife's nuvi 1390T and they work fine Confused
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tankerman10 wrote:
If I open the files using Notepad, entries under the headings 'Name' and 'Details' appear in inverted commas in the PGPSW file, with all columns delineated by commas. In my file, there are no inverted commas. I don't know why this is, and it appears to be the only difference.

POILoader doesn't require (and doesn't implement) headers in CSV files. At best it ignores them - at worst, it induces an error (...sometimes with an error message Wink )

but he also wrote:

PS. I've just downloaded the files I created onto my wife's nuvi 1390T and they work fine Confused

So what happens if you copy the resulting .GPI file from the 1390 to the Zümo? (Bear in mind that the 1390 .GPI files live in \POI and the Zümo's live in \Garmin\POI).

»
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many POI categories are you loading?
tankerman10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

My Garmin\POIs folder contains 218 .csv files in 23 sub-folders.

Phil

No, I haven't tried copying the .gpi file from the 1390 to the Zumo yet.

Karl
tankerman10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved Idea . I usually load my POIs onto the SD card in my Zumo but had loaded them onto the device by mistake, after using POI Loader to download to the 1390. Deleting poi.gpi from the Zumo and re-installing to the card did the trick.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tankerman10 wrote:
I usually load my POIs onto the SD card in my Zumo but had loaded them onto the device by mistake, after using POI Loader to download to the 1390.

I reckon it's a coincidence and you changed something else at the same time Surprised

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: