Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beginner struggling after map update - Nuvi 255W
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner struggling after map update - Nuvi 255W

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveclecy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Beginner struggling after map update - Nuvi 255W Reply with quote

This is probably listed elsewhere, if it is, I am sorry, I haven't found it. Took delivery of my Garmin Nuvi 255W yesterday, and have taken advantage of the map update offered as part of the deal.
Now, you experienced users will have realised, but I didn't, that the updated maps will not fit on the Nuvi, and I had to opt for UK and Ireland only on the device.
In less than a month, I will be touring France, and will want to find addresses there. How do I achieve that? I do have "Map Install" on the computer, and I see the 2010 map is there. Is that the newly downloaded one? Do I have to remove the UK and Ireland download to install the France map? Or can I install the France map on an SD card? Will it be fully searchable if it is?
What size card do you think is best? Am I better having a number of relatively small cards, say 512 MB, for each country, or a large, say 4GB, for all of Europe.
Regards
Steve
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that the 255W was UK and Ireland only originally and the upgrade gave you the rest of Europe? I seem to recall this is what happened to my wife's 310 a few years ago.

You should be able to load the relevant mapping onto a card using the supplied applications (MAPINSTAL?) You may want to install both UK and France onto the card - then use the map selection on the 255 to select this mapping. This should allow you to plan a route from UK to France. If you just place France on the card then you won't be able to do this. In fact, with a large enough card (2Gb?) you should be able to install all the mapping and use this as the default system. If you intend to do this then use a separate card reader on your PC. Create a Garmin folder on the card and the Garmin s/w will treat it as a sat nav unit for installation purposes.

You can do it via the 255 - but it will take a very long time - they aren't really designed as efficient card reader/writers.
steveclecy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil. It was originally supplied as full Europe, and that was why I was a little disappointed to learn that the "free" map upgrade ended up decreasing its versatility.

I will try and install both UK (& Ireland) and France on a 2 GB card. I am sure it will fit - fiddling around I managed to get all of France plus border regions onto a 512 MB card.

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: