Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom iPhone adds HD Traffic, Local Search & a free map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom iPhone adds HD Traffic, Local Search & a free map
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was covered either on this thread or another, but basically you can be browsing a site in Safari, click on a location link, and then have that transfer to TomTom as a destination.

It's not custom PoIs unfortunately.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This independent volume feature in the TomTom update is so useful! It's great not being deafened by the TTS announcements.
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the new HD Traffic and Google Search for the first time in anger on Wednesday and both performed excellently.

I had to travel from Manchester to Nottingham and whilst enroute, I was getting updates on delays on the route ahead. They were steadily increasing until at a delay of 19 minutes I was asked if I wanted to re-route. I did and went down to a delay of 1 minute. I arrived at my destination within 1 minute of the new ETA.

Later that evening I needed to pop to a Tesco so opened on TT, went to Google Search and typed in Tesco. TT gave a list of all the Tescos in my area. I selected the closest and was in there inside 2 minutes.

TT is now such a polished product that I think the other apps will find it hard to catch up. The way traffic is implemented is brilliant. The combination of moving dots on the overview map together with the list on the right hand side just works.
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, with HD traffic, IQ routes this knocks spots off my Nuvi 660 and copilot live 8
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I really like the functions/options on the mobile nav platforms, the screens on most of these are still too small for a primary highway use nav device. I can easily see more route/data info at a split second glance on my PND than multiple looks at my phone display. PND's with 4.3 and larger screens are much safer/less distracting for highway use IMHO. And at least with the iPhone, the gps performance just isn't quite as dependable as a standalone TomTom. Mobile is getting there, but it's not home yet.
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure - the iphone, TT v1.3, car kit and HD traffic is a powerful package. i think the iphone screen is adequate especially if you tend to listen to the spoken direction and then just quickly glance at the screen for clarification.
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the speech on TT combined with the dock to be excellent. The TTS really helps and the spoken traffic updates are good too. It was refreshing to be told that the delay on my route had changed and was now 14 minutes and also to be told my new arrival time, all via speech, without looking at the screen.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to JoshT. I have no issue with the iPhone screen.

Perhaps it's more difficult if you're used to a PND with big screen.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
Ditto to JoshT. I have no issue with the iPhone screen.

Perhaps it's more difficult if you're used to a PND with big screen.

... or older Crying
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some binoculars with ear grips Wink
mattyduk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got round to buying tomtom for my Iphone after trialing it on a friends a few weeks ago.

Overall very impressed and the purchase of Traffic for 59p per a day suits my driving habits i.e I don't drive that often, only when relative vistiing once a month or so.

However, found one big glitch on the map. When traveling on the M3 to the M25 junction, I was going to Potters Bar i.e clockwise round the M25 towards heathrow), but the voice instructions kept on saying head towards Gatwick, even though the directions on the Iphone were saying, correctly, towards heathrow.

Minor issue as I'm use to the road, but a bit confusing for someone who hasn't been that way before.

The TomTom GPS code seems a bit more sensitive than co-pilot, as even when I was going under some small bridges on the m25, the map was graying out.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyduk wrote:
but the voice instructions kept on saying head towards Gatwick, even though the directions on the Iphone were saying, correctly, towards heathrow.

Take a look at a map near Bristol. The M32 runs north out of town to a T junction with M4. When I'm going to London, my PND tells me to turn left!! Funny junction, used to be a roundabout, but no longer and the left turn is as you go round the remains of the roundabout to turn right! I think if I remember rightly, the top part of the first sign you are talking about reads Gatwick and TT use that to tell you which way to turn - used to make me blink too.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyduk wrote:
However, found one big glitch on the map. When traveling on the M3 to the M25 junction, I was going to Potters Bar i.e clockwise round the M25 towards heathrow), but the voice instructions kept on saying head towards Gatwick, even though the directions on the Iphone were saying, correctly, towards heathrow.

Having just driven this, I was first told to take the Gatwick exit i.e. J2 on the M3 - TomTom just chooses one of the destinations on the sign. Then once off the M3 I was told to stay left for Heathrow.

The lane markings and voice guidance are not ideal, as TomTom doesn't get you into the correct lane when you come off the M3 - it should state the left lane way ahead of the junction for the M25 northbound, and the centre lane for the M25 southbound. But aside from that niggle the voice instructions were correct for me.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that M3/M25 junction is the one which is the point 1 percent where we are saying the TT will get you there 99.9% of the time with no problem, it's the one where we need to put our brains in gear more positively - given the way it works, it's hard to see how TT could handle that junction any better and there will always be similar ones. My dear old granny used to say, remember, your satnav is an aid to driving, not a substitute for driving skill and she grew up with horses and carts. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
given the way it works, it's hard to see how TT could handle that junction any better

It could with correct lane guidance. Currently it tells you to take either the left or middle lane on the M3. Whereas if it was taking you northbound M25 it should say the left lane, and the middle lane for southbound M25.

On the one hand I can understand that there must thousands upon thousands of these sorts of details to be picked up on a map, and it's not straightforward.

But on the other hand this is a major motorway junction, and you could argue it presents a safety issue when the wrong lane instruction is given, or more so a vague lane instruction. I've seen some near misses at this particular junction during rush hour, where people have suddenly switched from north to south, or vice versa.

Mind you, the TomTom Brazil map would tell you a lot worse things!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: