Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - where is your sat nav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

where is your sat nav?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
The thing is, common sense doesn't always prevail. Sometimes people need to be protected from the consequences of their own stupidity and that of others.
Abso-flipping-lutely! But who is the judge of "common sense" and "stupidity"? History is well laced with examples of dictators and Nannies who knew what both were and acted against (they would say "for") their subjects accordingly.

There's a guy who comes every day to deliver his child (safely, of course) to the local school, who doesn't have the (my definition) common sense to park on the road and is (again my definition) stupid enough to park on the footpath. Guess what'll happen to him when I take charge? Guess what'll happen to all the black VW Golfs and their owners when I take charge?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
I can't think why - especially the phone

Perhaps the picture doesnt show the true perspective, it certainly looks like it obstructs the line of sight from the piccy.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say that was an old picture and the current placing was with the gooseneck mount (bent round to be) behind the door pillar, namely blocking my line of sight to the door pillar. But originally, I was closer to it, therefore higher and looking over the top. All academic now, as I got my TomTom iPhone car kit mount last night and it's all change again, with iPhone now just about where the scratch pad was on the picture.

Anyway, believe me, I'm very well aware of the dangers of driving - as I said, it's over 10 years ago that I started using handsfree phone kits after the very first time I used a phone in the car and knew it was asking for a six foot box for somebody (including me). I get very angry every time I see somebody driving with a phone in their hand - what I really cannot understand is the person who gets into the car, sets off, then phones hand held to talk to somebody before they're out of first gear. When I'm driving I wish I had the bottle to swerve towards them or when walking to step towards them, just to frighten the poo out of them. But I don't have the bottle (nor am I that irresponsible), it's a nice dream!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
spook51 wrote:
I still maintain screen mounts should be banned.
I don't have a problem with banning "In line of sight" mountings. But look again at my picture - I have to look away from my line of sight, effectively as far out of line as looking at my rear view mirror. What's wrong with that?

Whether it is right or wrong ultimately depends upon the law - if it says it is wrong then (as far as the courts are concerned) it is wrong.

Can anyone quote the law?

I thought that everything was banned in the arc(s) wiped by the wipers - EXCEPT the tax disc and the rear view mirror.

However I may be completely wrong here.

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this diagram:

Though it doesn't mention things other than stickers, it infers that anything larger than 40mm in diameter would result in a fail (or 10mm if in the 290mm vertical area in front of the driver).

It does, however, relate only to the MoT test.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT Specs for inspection is here http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always mounted my satnav below top of the dashboard using BRODIT mounts. With my new car (new model Polo) I bought a beanbag mount for my TT 720 which places the satnav at the front of the dashboard and not obstructing any view of the road - it does block the view of part of the bonnet however!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: