Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Seidio G2500 GPS PDA mount review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Seidio G2500 GPS PDA mount review
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Seidio G2500 GPS PDA mount review Reply with quote

One of the criticisms of some of the new iPAQ PDAs is the volume and quality of the sound output. This started with the 5450 and got slightly better with the 2210, but try listening to voice commands from your GPS application at motorway speeds and you are in trouble. In step Seidio with the G2500 range of powered, amplified PDA holders to solve the problem.

We have managed to complete our review at long last. Click here for the full review.
goran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is no mount supplied?

Are you sure? What do you mean with "no mount"? I have received exactly what they have promised:
# 1 Seidio G2500 GPS Ready Powered cradle with detachable DC power cord.
# 1 8" Super Strong Suction Windshield Pedestal
# 1 Slide and Lock Air Vent Pedestal
# 1 Console Windshield Attachment
# 1 360 Degree Swivel Adaptor
# 1 Audio Cable (used to enable the speaker)
You can see my "mount" here:
http://caravaning.zanimiv.net/slike/nosilec3.jpg
http://caravaning.zanimiv.net/slike/nosilec3.jpg

I am using it also in motorhome (Ducato 2.8) but I don't connect it to the amplifier - it is true that 3850 has better voice but I have also no problem with 2210 without amplifier. Perhaps my ears are so good :-)))
Regards,
Goran[/quote]
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

When I first got the Holder for review I was just provided with the holder, nothing else. This was how they were supposedly productising it. Checking the Seidio site they do indeed specify some mounting options.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

good review but I don't see mention of the price. I've had one of these since launch and the quality for the 50 quid I paid is utterly abismal.

A fair price would be nearer 25 or even 15 off ebay (in my opinion). The sound quality is not a patch on the old seidio multi media mount I have (although the 2500 is neater) and overall the construction is certainly like most products that came out of China 5 - 10 years ago - rather than today.

Also, did the test unit make the ipaq hot? I've had no problems with it charging my battery but the ipaq does get very hot (I have the 2210 silver model).

As I say I've had one for 5 months and am now looking for something else - any chance of a review of the haicom powered mount?

Ian
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard reports of iPAQs heating up. I never experienced that. Having said that mine is mounted over my airconditioning vent and is actually often cold.

When I did use it in the States when it wasnt over a vent it didnt seem to get any hptter than normal.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Seidio G2500 is provided purely as a PDA holder

This is wrong.

I have two G2500's and BOTH came with a variety of mounting options like a gooseneck/suction windscreen mount and a vent mount. The website also says that it comes with these parts. I expect the reviewer was supplied a replacement holder or the other parts were simply missing from his box.

I think the original article should be amended to correct this mistake so as not to confuse people who don't read these comments.

I'm actually on my THIRD G2500 now as on the first one, the sound didn't work and the replacement litterally went up in smoke within minutes nearly causing me to crash. About 5 mins after I set out on my initial journey with the new holder, I heard some popping noises. I couldn't work out where it was coming from and thought it was coming from outside the car. A few seconds later there was a loud hiss and lots of smoke came out of the back of the Seidio holder and made my windscreen look like greaseproof paper. It seemed to be a blown capacitor.

On my second (while it lasted) and third units, if I connected the sound cable to my IPAQ 2210 there is a fair amount of background noise (whines/tones and clicks) which I find rather annoying. Investigation revealed that these noises are being picked up from the IPAQ indirectly. They've allegedly fixed this problem, but I can't be bothered to get a forth replacement unit to verify this.

Also, two of the gooseneck mounts that were supplied were broken (or broke immediately as soon as I touched it). The suction cup had become disconnected from the gooseneck. I fixed these by using 2-part epoxy squirted liberally into the tube on the back of the suction mount.

I also can't find any car where the vent mount actually works... I think you need a really old car with square 80's style vents.

Seido were initially helpful in sending out replacements but now I just think they're fed up of me.

I'm looking to find another mount which also has amplified sound but isn't as poorly constructed and badly engineered as these cheapy Seidio mounts. I think the best bet is to buy a different mount, but then get one of those adapters that transmits your IPAQ sound over FM so you can listen to it on your car radio.

My recommendation: Avoid accidental purchase and never use while vehicle is in motion!!!

Nick...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Give me a chance.

Got to wait till I have finished work to change these things.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine a couple of weeks now and am delighted with it. The sound is audible even with my stereo blasting and I've had no heating problems or anything.
When I bought it (from TotalPDA for about £35) you had to select which type of mount you wanted. I selected a vent mount and it's fine.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine for the iPAQ 5550 works perfectly and I am very happy with it. I bought it from GlobalPositioningSystems as they sell it cheaper by offering a choice of mount rather than including them all.

As an aside if you want another gooseneck mount for it, you can buy the Halfords mobile phone holder which is the exactly the same gooseneck with a dash mounting suction cup and universal phone holder thrown in for £14.
jrl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received one for my ipaq 4150, and despite reading several negative comments it's actually okay and does the job.
It was either the Seidio or the Arkon (I didn't fancy blowing £80 on the Brodit powered holder with speaker)

There are a few whistles and odd noises that come out of the speaker that are being picked up by the holder but I don't think I'll notice it once I'm driving with all the associated background noise.
latinware
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: product quality Reply with quote

I had some little breakage with the small tabs that hold the 2500 base onto the AC base. I wrote Seidio but they never answer. Only after few emails, and specially because I said I was going to post my anger on the forum. I just sunk US$77 for the 2500.

This is the last email I wrote to them:

"I got the same problem with the seidio 2500 and my iPaq H5450 + GPS Sysonchip Plus, sometime does not charge and other times it works from time to time. Since I live in a rural area 20 kms. from Bogota, Colombia it will be impossible to send it back to them in USA because THE COST it'll be ridiculous. I do not understand why they advertise something and sell if it does not work perfect, must of this manufacturers look like the software companies, after you buy their software then you have to spend the rest of your life UPDATING and PATCHING!!! Amazing isn't? Besides I had to pay US$79 because they do not ship to Colombia, South America (Just in case they do not know where Colombia is located!) I forgot to tell you that since I'm a begginer in this forum I am a proffessional in GPS hardware, software and accs. And also I will tell you that if you are going to use this item in rallies or open road, watch out their holders brake very easy. "
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
latinware
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: another email to seidio Reply with quote

Since they do not answer, I had to send them another email, this time because the connector from the base to the iPaq broke when I tried to insert my iPaq into the base due to bad quality materials. Since it was very expensive to return the base to USA from Colombia I decided to take it apart anf fixed myself, so what I did it was to cover the connector on either side with lots of crazy glue. It worked perfect and probably now is going to last much longer.

Here is the email I sent (before fixin the unit myself): "As you notice I live in Colombia, and several times I had write to you as I ha ve write in several forums regarding the lousy customer service you got since you people do not answer the emails that are sent from your customers.

Trough my relatives in Marietta, GA (Camilo Buendia) I had bougth the 2500 mount whcih comes with everything to be used with an iPaq H5450. Ok, so the first thing that happened three days after receiving it was the brakage of one of the pin like that support the unit to the AC support, so at that moment I did not care to return the unit cause it cost more than what I paid for you mount. But yesterday when I tried to insert the iPaq on the mount, the bottom part which is the electronic connector to the device broke and it went inside of the mount.

I try to fix the unit, but it's impossible because of the damage. So, I live in Colombia and I need the 2500 replaced only the part where the iPaq it's inserted but my question is who it's going to pay for the courier service? I bought the unit from your company because of the reviews that I read in different forums but let me tell you that the unit it's not well made it far from a good made unit, remember that it's supposed to hold the vibration on any vehicle.

I hope this time you will answer this email. In the meantime I will publish this email in all the forums that have to do with GPS because I feel everyone interested in your product should know my experience."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
latinware
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: the saga continues Reply with quote

Finally Seidio answer my emails on July 29th:

"Hello Luis Gomez

It is very disappoint to read the negative e-mail you have sent to Seidio Inc

First of all we have tried to track your Order in our systems and could not find it anywhere meaning you did not buy it form us or might of used a different name to place the Order.

If that is the case please provide us with the Seidio Purchase Order Number.

.2ND Seidio has and always tried to provide the Best Customer Service.

If you had a problem with the unit at the time of purchase. All you needed to do was call Seidio or Summit a RMA E-mail. If you were not aware of the Return Policy it is listed on our site. If you would of called our customer service dept or rma dept we would of gladly gave you the Return information by Phone. We stress that if you would of followed the procedure or tried too the Return Dept would have sent out the Replacement first along with a call tag so that you could Return the defective Unit to Seidio.

Costing the Customer not a cent.

Instead you decide you rather modify the unit. You should not have to modify the unit. That is why we have a RMA DEPT whom would be more than happy to work with you. In order to have this problem solved ASAP.

Mr.. Luis I feel that it is not fair that you would have negative things to say about our Company. When you did not follow the procedure for the Return.

Now you state you will post negative Notes about Seidio. We hope it does not need to lead to this.

Seidio is willing to send our a Tested Working Unit but in order for us to do so we need to have your Seidio Purchase Order.

Once again lets do things the right way and take care of the problem

Waiting for the Order Number

RMA DEPT

Mercedes"
seidioseidio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My name is David Chang. I am the product Marketing Manager from Seidio. I am here to answer any questions and solve any problems you may have with Seidio products. Please send me email dsc@seidio.com if you have any problem with G2500 mounts.

Seidio will standby our products and make our customers happy with our products.
prusling
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of footnotes to Lutz's excellent follow-up review on this mount:

1) The Emtac/Socket/Transplant GPS jacket will just fit in the mount
2) The speaker distorts easily (not sure whether mine is a faulty unit?) and has a very unprogressive operation but is still a fair bit louder than the built-in 5450/5550 speaker

Otherwise, it was the only realistic choice for my PDA and does its job.

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: