Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Virgin Media (WHAT A JOKE)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Virgin Media (WHAT A JOKE)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Virgin Media (WHAT A JOKE) Reply with quote

Anyone else using Blueyonder or Virgin e-mail services and noticing any issues over the past few days?

It looks like they have made a few unannounced alterations to their service, for a start e-mails I get to the iPhone now don't appear on the PC, so mobile use isn't viable, attachments that the iPhone can't understand are useless as you cannot get at them (unless running JB)

Having had to mess around with the iPhone and the PC only to be instructed that I need to log in to my account on Virgin Media to alter a setting that wasn't even there last week (prior to this issue starting) makes me wonder what Sat dish receivers are any good and I might drop the 50MB/s connection along with all other services including the phone line, Lord knows which idiot authorised this network change but I hope they are fired rather than promoted (sadly in large companies idiots tend to get promoted) - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They outsourced their email handling to GoogleMail.

My accounts were changed one day last week and it screwed up my anti spam software (using POPPeeper which is just a POP3 client to preview my mailbox and delete any junk email prior to downloading the stuff i want). Basically it meant that as soon as POPPeeper checked my mailbox it deleted all the messages. Fortunately they were eventually found in the Deleted Items folder and moved back. I had to waste a day fiddling with the settings and running various tests to make sure all 4 mailboxes were OK.

1st Line Support told me they don't support what I'm trying to do. i.e. use a POP3 client to access my email.....

They'll be getting an email later this week....

The changes were annoucend (sort of) last July but there was no warning of when the changes would take place...
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike 50meg Shocked , I would swap body parts for that over my 3meg (on a good day) connection. RE the iPhone, cant you just sync when you get to the PC?

Paul, I use MailWasher Pro to catch spam. Works fine with my POP, G and hot webmail accounts. Then whatever passes the filter goes to Outlook which has its own junk filter.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not interested in a sync to the PC at all as I prefer to stay current with e-mail during the day where possible and when I am away from home due to business trips mobile e-mail is invaluable, but equally so is the fail safe/ trap net that I get everything at home when I return just to ensure I haven't missed anything.

I am only glad I can get at files on the iPhone without resorting to Sync as a few rather important ones have been pushed to the phone only to remain missing on the PC when I got home, I don't like having to type long URL's to secure servers just becase the e-mail is on the wrong target - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the iPhone able to Preview your emails rather than Read them? I had to make this change in POPPeeper to stop the emails being deleted...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for ending my weekend on a sour note Mike. I'm not bright enough to understand much of what you're on about, just that I'm a Virgin myself (only 20MB) and they've emailed me (same one three times - sort of Spam you might say Rolling Eyes ) telling me they've changed and some stuff simply isn't going to get through.

I hate being told what they'll allow me and what not. I prefer to junk the rubbish myself, and that includes those promises of unbelievable sex life (at my age!!). I'm a grown up and I have anti virus and my simple answer to spam is the delete button.

So what's the alternative? Go satellite dish? Do you think if we all threaten to quit they'll change it?
Quote:
Hello,

At Virgin Media, we're always looking for ways to give you the best you can get from your broadband connection. Among other things, that means keeping you in the loop with our brand new Virgin Media Mail.

Virgin Media Mail is a shiny new upgrade to your existing @blueyonder.co.uk email account and it comes packed with great extras that we know you're going to love. Best of all, you don't have to lift a finger - we'll do everything for you and move your current @blueyonder.co.uk email account in January and send you a welcome email to tell you when it's all done.

Your existing @blueyonder.co.uk email address will still work, and we're not planning to change it. We'll also make sure that your emails and messages stay safe and sound, and are transferred over to your new account. However, for security reasons, certain file formats are not allowed as attachments in our new mail service, as they are very often used to distribute viruses or other malicious software.

A full list of these can be found at http://www.virginmedia.com/attachments, so you should back up any of these attachments as they will not be moved to the new service when your mailbox is moved.

We're sure you'll love our new, easy to use, super efficient system. And what makes it so great? Well, it's provided by Google, of course!

Check your Virgin Media Mail anywhere

One of the best things about using Virgin Media Mail through http://www.virginmedia.com is that you can stay in the loop, no matter where you are. You can get to your emails on almost anything that's connected to the internet, including internet-enabled mobile phones, without installing or configuring anything. We call this webmail.

If you're planning to access your emails on more than one device you'll want to make sure that all your messages are made available, so have a look at http://www.virginmedia.com/devices for some helpful advice.

Using Virgin Media Mail through webmail means you can:

- Import your contacts quickly and easily, which saves you typing them all out. If you've already set up contacts in your old @blueyonder.co.uk webmail account, we'll move them for you.
- Check your emails wherever you are with easy-to-use Google mail on your mobile phone
- Find that elusive email easily with Google search for your inbox
- Chat with other Google Mail users in your contacts
- No need to delete emails to clear storage space - just archive them as you now have 7000 MB of storage to use (that's gone up from 30 MB that you used to have!)

Virgin Media Mail and email programs

If you need help setting up and using Virgin Media Mail, there is more information at http://www.virginmedia.com/help/virginmediamail. And don't forget, you can always get in touch with us if you have any questions or problems, we'll be happy to help!

Happy surfing!

Mark Davidson
Executive Director, Customer Care
Virgin Media

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

A full list of these can be found at http://www.virginmedia.com/attachments, so you should back up any of these attachments as they will not be moved to the new service when your mailbox is moved.

And just to add to the confusion, the link seems to be broken Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the comma at the end...

http://www.virginmedia.com/attachments
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a few quid a year you could just get your own domain name and cheap hosting and sort yourself out with IMAP or POP3 email account that you control and can take with you wherever you want regardless of your ISP...

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change the extention, to say .txt, does one of the banned files get through? I have used this technique before to circumvent the problem, but it's a pain, and you have to tell the recipient what to rename it to.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty certain that google will look at the attached files headers rather than the extension alone.

MaFt
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting - there's been no change to Virgin's @ntlword.com POP3 e-mail functionality....yet

I've often suspected that Blueyonder and NTL were being treated as separate companies with different infrastructure
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
interesting - there's been no change to Virgin's @ntlword.com POP3 e-mail functionality....yet

I've often suspected that Blueyonder and NTL were being treated as separate companies with different infrastructure

yes, i THINK they are. i'm often asked if i was a 'blueyonder/telewest' or an 'ntl' customer

i've not used blueyonder/telewest/ntl/virgin email since about 2002 when i bought my first domain name so only really hear of these changes when my dad gets confused or my eldest brother starts cursing on twitter!! Laughing Out Loud

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: