Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Software 1.420
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Software 1.420
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: vital step Reply with quote

In reply to my earlier problem with Mac 1.42 download I forgot that to display the 1.42 in About you must go Settings - Default - Yes - Clear All.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to upgrade to 1.4.2 but will hold off now. I find it remarkable that Satmap have done this. The whole reason for its existence is the fact that the A10 displays OS maps. People buy it because it displays OS maps. OS maps do not have road names printed on them, and I can well see how this unneccesary information could be very annoying. By aall means make it an option, but not as a standard.
manora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is just me. Shocked
I have installed the upgrade from the exe file with no problem but didn't and still haven't seen any instruction to "clear all". No road names have appeared.
The version given in "About" is 1.42.
The only thing I have noticed is that now, when I go beyond the edge of the installed SD card map, if I zoom in beyond the 1:250000 map I get plain blue, no roads at all let alone names. Shocked I'm almost sure this wasn't the case before.
If I remove the card then the roads appear as normal.
I may try reverting to 1.4 just to see if it was this way before.
manora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the above.
Just tried "clear all" and the "off sd card" map has reappeared along with road names.
Not sure I appreciate the "upgrade", it is now MUCH slower scrolling and MUCH less smooth.
Surely this is not what these machines are designed for, if I want that kind of info then I will use my Garmin.
I feel a "back" grade to 1.4 coming on and I'll wait for the road names turn off facility before I "upgrade again"

PS Down graded and normal service is restored and base map still disappears when the sd card is in. I guess I just hadn't noticed before.
Buckleberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather that if I choose not to upgrade to v1.42, I can still upgrade to the next version without having to install v1.42 and just jump from v1.4 straight to v1.4xx and miss out the unfavoured v1.42?

I hope that makes sense!
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the road names will only appear if you have an early UK Active 10 (not plus) and you don't have the world base map upgrade and you upgrade to 1.420 and you do a reset as described on the first page of this thread. I think this should explain why many of you are not seeing road names. They are a vector overlay, much like POI symbols, and sit on top of the OS map when zoomed in to street magnifications. I reserve the right to be wrong.

Later Active-10s and Active-10 plus units don't have the road name database included. I bought my active 10 last year and purposely bought the non-plus version as I wanted to call up street names occasionally. Now I have the choice of not having them at all or having them permanently (slowing up the unit); so I just carry a second GPS unit with street mapping.

I'll see what the next update brings...
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony_P1 wrote:
'I think the road names will be linked to Show Title on Maps in the next update as bringing back Show All Road Names could confuse customers without the vector road map.'

So why don't they just hide the option if darabase missing Rolling Eyes
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might not have got to that chapter in their VisualBASIC manual yet Jimmy Wink
Buckleberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
I think that the road names will only appear if you have an early UK Active 10 (not plus) and you don't have the world base map upgrade and you upgrade to 1.420 and you do a reset as described on the first page of this thread. I think this should explain why many of you are not seeing road names. They are a vector overlay, much like POI symbols, and sit on top of the OS map when zoomed in to street magnifications. I reserve the right to be wrong.

Later Active-10s and Active-10 plus units don't have the road name database included. I bought my active 10 last year and purposely bought the non-plus version as I wanted to call up street names occasionally. Now I have the choice of not having them at all or having them permanently (slowing up the unit); so I just carry a second GPS unit with street mapping.

I'll see what the next update brings...

A bit late the party, I know, but I've just had word back from Satmap that this is correct. Active 10 Plus units won't have the road names overlaid on the display.

*runs off to update*
Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: