Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x20 and x30 sunsetted?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x20 and x30 sunsetted?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply Keith
keithjeffrey wrote:
I would have thought that if you were set up with the Van setting it would calculate the route accordingly , avoiding any narrow roads / low bridges to take you to your destination.
But if there are'nt any of these restrictions on the route then it would be the same route as for the Car setting anyway would'nt it ?
I have no idea about the Taxi setting though.
Is there not anything on the TomTom website explaining the differences between the Car/Taxi/Van/Truck settings.
Whilst I agree with you, if there are no restrictions there can be no deviation of route for the different vehicle types. I had originally planned a route from Spain to Blackpool (about 1760km) and for each vehicle type the route remained the same. So, I have just now replicated the route from the YouTube clip which mikealder provided a link to. I make the start point as - Junction of North Park Drive, Blackpool with Saint Clements Avenue and the destination as postcode PR41AX. From the video this has shown to provide different IQ routes (although these may have been caused by traffic flow at the time of the demonstration). When I run this in demo mode, Car, Van, Taxi & Other all return the same route as the 1st route shown in the video - 0.23hrs & 15km. Bus & Truck both return Errors.

I accept that these do not work for me and I am not trying to get them to work. The main reason I am pursuing this is for GeePee (sorry If I am interfering GeePee) as he said that he drives a motor home and would find this feature useful and shall contemplate an upgrade this weekend. All I am trying to do is highlight that, as of yet, I have not seen anyone say that v8.392 is providing different routes on a 720/730, latest maps or otherwise.

If anyone with a 720/730, v8.392 and maps newer than v825.2157 would like to try the above demo and post the results here it may save an unnecessary "upgrade" and disappointment.

Hopefully I am wrong and the only reason it does not work for me is because my maps are out of date.

Many Thanks again, Regards, Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the combination of the Fiat Blue me Navcore and the 940 was a mistake in that someone forgot to lock out the vehicle types unless you were using a TomTom Work map, this software error lets you get truck profiles and associated routes. Since this occured it would appear they have shut the door on the error requiring a different map for the truck options to work.

If you ever make that 1760KM trip give me a shout and we could meet up for a beer! - Mike
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having a look around and it seems that as well as needing Navcore 8.392 you need a TomTom Truck map ( such as 840.2544 ) , then I think you get the variations in route for the type of vehicle you have set up as.
I may well be wrong in this , but this is something that I have read this morning.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
With your latest, maps do you get a different route when you tap the Van or Taxi icon?. If I tap either of these it returns the same route as the Car.

I can't try your route, Ali, as I've only updated UK maps on my 720, but I've tried a local route which uses very narrow lanes for a car where there is a longer main road alternative, and it has given the same regardless of vehicle type. Whether it would do so for all routes I don't know, but I would expect it to.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not coming back sooner, but for some reason I have not been receiving update notifications and I have been busy doing some backup work after getting a new 500GB very small pocket backup deivce this morning from Aldi - see their site.

Thanks to all the contributors particularly Anita and 'AlionHols'
Quote:
I accept that these do not work for me and I am not trying to get them to work. The main reason I am pursuing this is for GeePee (sorry If I am interfering GeePee) as he said that he drives a motor home and would find this feature useful and shall contemplate an upgrade this weekend.

I have just been busy reading the last two pages which prove very insteresting. I shall try out the app. on my GO630 with the v 840 asap and, hopefully, report back when I can. Graham
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ali , I tried the route from Preston to Blackpool that you tried , I did it with Car , Van and Taxi ( it would'nt let me do Bus or Truck as it defaulted back to Car setting ) and it returned the same route for each vehicle type.
You can see from my signature at the bottom what my setup is currently.
I am now trying to find a version of 840.2544 from somewhere.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
but for some reason I have not been receiving update notifications

Strange but I am with Blueyonder which is also Virgin owned and I have lost a whole raft of e-mails over the last week, some I have on my phone but not on the PC, time for another complaint to get sent me thinks.

Virgin have only recently started a different policy re e-mails and they appear to be trashing some before users ever receive them - Mike
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the replies and inputs on this. Sadly, it is beginning to look like it is not going to result in being the "NavCore for the Future" we were all hoping for. I do admit that the face lift has given my 730 a classier look but, as I always choose function over form, I shall probably drift back to v8.351, assuming I have not damaged the files Anita warned about.

keithjeffrey - Good luck tracking down the Work map.
mikealder - Thanks for the offer of a beer. Likewise if you ever find yourself in Figueres.
GeePee - Fingers crossed.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
but for some reason I have not been receiving update notifications

Strange but I am with Blueyonder which is also Virgin owned and I have lost a whole raft of e-mails over the last week, some I have on my phone but not on the PC, time for another complaint to get sent me thinks.

Virgin have only recently started a different policy re e-mails and they appear to be trashing some before users ever receive them - Mike

Ah! Just found some in my Junk mail box. Never happened before :-(

graham
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring the benefits or otherwise of the software for a minute, it seems from the above only two people actually got offered the v8.392 by Home. Is that right, or did any one else get offered it (rather then getting it from a direct/manual download?)
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P, TTHome offered and installed it for me.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, AliOnHols, I should have named names and saved you a post! Crying or Very sad

The only two who seem to have been offered v8.392 by Home are
AliOnHols and xda
Everyone else has downloaded manually?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't find this thread earlier so I posted anew! Sorry. So here is an update on my successful install of the Work Navcore.

Just to say that I had a spare 2GB SD card, so I copied the current data from my hard drive on my 630 on to it, then installed the WORK application and happy to say, with the SD card installed, the software works fine.
I have set it up for 'Van' type of vehicle with a 70mph maximum so will give it a few trials to see if the ETA's are more accurate than the current hard drive installed software.
If I am using my car, then all I do is take out the card and use the standard installed application software.
I tried to set the 'Truck' parameters to equate with my Motorhome, but after setting them, the device reported that the current MAP does not support the setting, so it looks as if this application only works with a particular MAP. But, that was reported earlier in this thread. Still I like the bling as someone else said. Wink Oh well! Good exercise.....

Graham
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your update Gee-Pee. I for one will be very interested if your routes are actually different for Van, Car and Taxi. These icons always return the same route as each other on my 730
Regards.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Thanks for your update Gee-Pee. I for one will be very interested if your routes are actually different for Van, Car and Taxi. These icons always return the same route as each other on my 730
Regards.

Will report.
I will have to find some narrow routes that have low bridges, etc. Not a lot around here. I think the main advantage will be that my ETA should be more accurate, as I don't drive too fast with 3.5 tonnes to stop when I hit the brakes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: