Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What a Minefield - Garmin or Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What a Minefield - Garmin or Tom Tom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: What a Minefield - Garmin or Tom Tom Reply with quote

I'd almost settled on a 1490T after a typical net search, but having read through the forum its swings and slides with faults on both sides.

My current SatNav is inbuilt into my 10 year old car and since 5 years ago it cannot be updated.

I would like to have the ability to view the route selected, distance countdown to direction change and destination.
I'm not to fussed up with traffic conditions, but bluetooth hands free phone and MP3 player would be handy.

A canny voice would be a bonus, the one exceptional goody I would like to bring with me from my current dated system. Laughing

Cheers Con.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom and Garmin are the top sellers with good reason but there are as many who swear by one as the other.

Personally I find the Garmin display and interface not to my liking but others love it.

Can you get to a Halfords and have a play with one of each. The interface is similar across all Garmins and similarly all TomTom's.

That way you can decide if one is more to your liking than another which will at least help you refine the short list to one manufacturer?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure on the price difference between the 1490T and the 1690 but if it's still in budget i'd go for the 1690 over the 1490. the traffic for the 1490 is through fm transmitter and comes with a really thick, cumbersome power lead / antennae. even if you're not using the traffic services on a particular journey you still have to have this great big inflexible cable draped over your dashboard... the 1690 has a simcard built in that gets it's updates from a mobile network (though there is a yearly fee for this) similar to the tomtom X50 range.

i have both at the moment for review but it may take a while until this is complete!

MaFt
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice Darren, I'll get into town ...... now were is Halfrauds ..... could do with a SatNav Laughing

These current devices are totally different to the displays on my car jobby, so that side of it shouldn't take to much getting used to, its more to the niggles and reliability feedback that only the likes of yourself can give after road testing them for a canny few years.

Pushed the wrong button while checking out prices on the net and nearly committed to buying a TT 950 @ £436.00 Shocked ...... on the same page they were advertised for £240.00 Confused ..... does that dealer ever sell any Question

Regards Con.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
not sure on the price difference between the 1490T and the 1690 but if it's still in budget i'd go for the 1690 over the 1490. the traffic for the 1490 is through fm transmitter and comes with a really thick, cumbersome power lead / antennae. even if you're not using the traffic services on a particular journey you still have to have this great big inflexible cable draped over your dashboard... the 1690 has a simcard built in that gets it's updates from a mobile network (though there is a yearly fee for this) similar to the tomtom X50 range.

i have both at the moment for review but it may take a while until this is complete!

MaFt

Talk about timing MaFt ... Just responded to Darren. The likes of that cable you mention is a downer, sounds like a typical 'Scart' type lead, I note the screens are small on the 1690 and the 950's.

Not sure I could justify the annual fee not being a current habitual road user apart from 3 or 4 times a year travelling the roads of Europe to mostly known destinations.

So thats the 1490 X out, twelve more to go Laughing

Regards Con.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way - Whats with the forum timing/date ??

Regards Con.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conjopley wrote:

Regards Con.

It's fine here, but as your forum profile has your timezone currently set as +10hrs then unless you live in Guam or Eastern Australia it's wrong!

Click Profilein the menu across the top of this forum thread and edit your settings, it should be set to GMT Laughing
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
conjopley wrote:

Regards Con.

It's fine here, but as your forum profile has your timezone currently set as +10hrs then unless you live in Guam or Eastern Australia it's wrong!

Click Profilein the menu across the top of this forum thread and edit your settings, it should be set to GMT Laughing

AaaHhh thats more comfortable, ruddy freezing rather had been in Australia Wink

Regards Con.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Did they replace the 1690 for you or just dealing with the obstinate touchscreen?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Did they replace the 1690 for you or just dealing with the obstinate touchscreen?

not heard back from them. therefore the assumption is that the 1690 range has a rubbish touchscreen. anywhere near the edge you have to press it really hard - as in hold it with one hand and press with the other - around the middle is fine, you can do it with one hand and it doesn't dislodge the mount!

MaFt
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe now they'll replace it Thumbs Up

Some of these companies make media inquiries such a low priority. Garmin is one of them. Very short-sighted and doesn't make them a lot of friends among the bloggers and reviewers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very true! I've been so frustrated with Garmin, they can't even be bothered to provide us with PR copy on regular occasions despite repeated requests.

That they treat Press and PR relations as such a low priority is surprising and for such an otherwise successful company is hard to understand.

We all know that press reviews are simply re hashed PR bumf but blogger and community site reviews are much more detailed and can often sell a device for them so to treat us with such contempt is very disappointing.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very true. i've been pestering garmin for a month before i managed to get these devices... yet still never receive any PR...!!

MaFt
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt, on the touchscreen issue, it may just need a quick calibration. Then again it could be defective. Worth a try, assuming it works the same as the rest of the 1xxx's. The procedure differs a bit from the older nuvi's.

Start with the device off. Then press and hold the top left corner of the touchscreen. Turn the 1690 on while leaving your finger on the screen. Continue to hold for about 30 seconds and an option to "press the dot" should appear.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
MaFt, on the touchscreen issue, it may just need a quick calibration. Then again it could be defective. Worth a try, assuming it works the same as the rest of the 1xxx's. The procedure differs a bit from the older nuvi's.

Start with the device off. Then press and hold the top left corner of the touchscreen. Turn the 1690 on while leaving your finger on the screen. Continue to hold for about 30 seconds and an option to "press the dot" should appear.

seems to have helped a little BUT you still need to press harder in the peripheries...

anyway, back on topic!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: