Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.35 map on older navcore 8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.35 map on older navcore 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slipknotmaggot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: 8.35 map on older navcore 8 Reply with quote

i had a problem with the redraw on my tomtom go 530t so I sent it back.

Theyre support said there was nothing physically wrong with it and sent it back unrepaired, however they did put its original navcore back on, which was version 8002.

This has fixed the screen redraw problem which I had when using navcore 8351.

So now I wish to keep navcore 8002 on my device to avoid the screen going blank every 15 seconds or so. However, since coming back the PND has got its original UK/Ireland map loaded onto it, which is 815.2003 which is about a year out of date now.

I had previously purchased 835.2429 western europe which I still had on my PC. So I went onto tomtom home and added the map which was in my tomtom downloads/complete folder.

It picked the map up and installed it to my device.

When I switched on the device it showed "no maps found"

I updated my navcore back to 8351 and the map was found again, but the redraw problem was back.

So either Im stuck with a tomtom that cant be updated, or I put up with the redraw problem, I dont win either way.

Can anyone help me on using the newer map with the older navcore version?

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, they have tried to pull the wool over your eyes with this one and the method employed to "fix" your device is nothing short of deceitful.

Contact them again stating the device is still not repaired and that you do not accept the installation of an earlier map and earlier Navcore on your device as a solution. You have paid for the newer v835 map and have every right to use it, it is their stupid system that prevents you from using older Navcore with newer maps - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this exclusive to the 530 Mike? I'm now using Navcore 8.302 (302, not 002) on my "new" refurb 520, with map 840. I saved 8.302 from my 920 on SDHC card and after upgrading the refurb 520 to Navcore 8.351 and getting my Latest Map Guarantee for map 840, I then copied the new map from internal to the SD card and am running it with Nav 8.302 and 840 map. Could he download 8.302 from somewhere? I was previously using Nav 8.302 with map 835 on my 920.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to muddy the waters, but see my thread about slow 720. In there I am convinced it is a screen 'driver' issue that is a problem and am being talked through a reinstall. Just awaiting Andy or Mike to tell me the way to go from where i am up to. The screen doesn't draw properly or respond to touch when I have updated fully so it will be interesting to see if this method of installing cures it when fully updated. I did have a previous unit that was fully updated and worked fine until it malfunctioned (hardware).
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis your workaround will probably work, I think Mike is just trying to get TT to accept its responsibilities, it should not really require its customer to dump new software they have purchased, just so they can make a device work.
Somewhere there must be a problem with the device and TT should be able to resolve it, or at the very least refund the cost of the new map purchased, as the customer cannot use it for no fault of their own.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple fact is the device doesn't work correctly with the latest Navcore and map, trying to cover things up by running older Navcore software isn't really the acceptable method to get around the issue, for example running 8,302 messes up the FM Tx option on the device - What we really need is a version that actually does what it says it should do without resorting to messing about.
If you want to try the 8,302 release its available for download from the server at TomTom, save you the hasstle of looking for it click Here - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is absolutely right and I should know better.

I'm afraid it's a case of me giving up on getting solutions out of TomTom and making my device work - I need to get from A to B and I'm using all sorts of solutions across four devices. If I were to rely on just one device and TomTom support getting problems sorted I'd still be on the drive outside my house. They haven't got a solution to the Navcore 8.351 problems, not the XLLive postcode problems, not the Anycore handsfree problems, blah, blah, blah. Did I say problems? - apologies, I meant issues and challenges. Evil or Very Mad

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your postcode problems with the XL LIVE Dennis?

Edit: v840 postcodes are out - see Mikes sticky - same link as the 835 ones oddly enough ......
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that it won't accept an address without a house number.

Example 75-77 Saint Michael's Street, London W2 1QS. This one is particularly relevant because if you select the "wrong" alternative number to use (e.g. 72) it takes you inside the congestion zone.

PS is Mike's postcode file version greater than 891 and less than 911, cos mine is. Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: