Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Blackwall Tunnel SPECS cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Blackwall Tunnel SPECS cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrohomon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make what you will of this:

Dear Justin,

Thank you for your email dated 18th October. The London Safety Camera Partnership (LSCP) apologises that you did not receive an automatic response when you emailed us your enquiry. You would normally receive the response below this email.

The LSCP are not leading on this scheme; Transport for London, Road Network Tunnels are responsible for the new cameras located at the entrance to Blackwall Tunnel.

However, the LSCP have been testing average speed cameras within the tunnel. We are not enforcing these cameras in Blackwall Tunnel.

We suggest that you forward your concerns onto the Transport for London customer services team at:
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to all this. These are the people supplying the cameras http://www.redspeed-int.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=41 and this seems to be the paperwork they sort out the fines from!!! http://www.redspeed-int.com/images/products/redfusion1.1.jpg http://www.redspeed-int.com/images/products/redfusion2.1.jpg

Looks like if you stick to 30 & get through, from camera to camera, in about 3 minutes, youll be ok.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, Freedy!
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see that the lanes at entry and exit are recorded, which is further proof if anyone still needs it that changing lanes in a SPECS section will not evade capture.
adams901
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these active yet? I still see people going through a lot faster than 30, and still have people sitting on my rear bumper when I am doing 30.
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on all this.

According to this official press release http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/14005.aspx the cash cameras start on the 7th February Crying or Very sad but they are only supposed to be overnight while the works are being done.

Quote:
Following extensive stakeholder consultation, and to minimise disruption to road users as far as possible, TfL will be closing the northbound tunnel between 21:00 and 05:00 Sunday to Friday during the three-year refurbishment.

Northbound traffic will be diverted through the southbound tunnel during this time.

Because the diversion will involve chicanes, a 20mph speed limit will be put in place each night and enforced by average speed cameras. Southbound traffic will be able to use other river crossings.

And to make it better they've got rid of the contraflow!!! Confused

I wonder if theyll 'forget' to switch them off in the mornings?? Confused
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that I have only ever seen specs cameras on the northbound tunnel.!!
adams901
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed today that the bags are now off the cameras (they were still on a couple of days ago), does that mean they have gone live early? I cant see any signs saying that average speed cameras are in use.

This leads me onto my next question.

I know Specs measure your average speed, but what happens if either of the cameras logs your entry or exit speed over the speed limit?.

The Reason I ask is, My average speed through the tunnel was 28mph, however as I left the tunnel I took the slip road to the left and realised my speed had increased to about 33/34mph just as the exit spec camera appeared.

Even though my average speed would have been about 28, would I still be in line NIP?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adams901 wrote:
but what happens if either of the cameras logs your entry or exit speed over the speed limit?.
An individual camera does not log your speed.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been through lately but it looks like they dumped those funky cameras they were testing and put some plain old specs in there.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've driven through now. The cameras in the photo above are directly above Gatso 479@30 (the last Gatso before the tunnel).

The exit SPECS are at N51.51300 W0.00826 over the SOUTHBOUND carriageway. As far as I can tell there are no other north or southbound SPECS.

Blackwall Tunnel... Two tunnels, two SPECS gantries. They are installed over the carriageway into Northbound tunnel and over the carriageway into the Southbound tunnel. Both camera gantries are pointing to the South. In my opinion that the cameras on the North side could see the front of a Northbound vehicle or the rear of a Southbound one.

Read that again because it doesn't make sense. It is correct though!

Here's how I think they will work:

During roadworks, they will close the southbound tunnel, limit speed to 20 MPH (normally 30 in the tunnel) and divert Northbound traffic through chicanes into the Southbound tunnel.

Thus, the SPECS camers will count the cars into the tunnel Northbound and count them out in the Southbound carriageway on the North side.

Alternatively, it may be that the cameras on the north side are in such a position that they can read vehicle plates on the northbound carriageway.

The old "dummy" time and distance cameras that they were testing for ages are still there. I don't know if they are in use or not.

The SPECS cameras are only northbound as far as I can see.

Anyone got any views on this - especially if you drive the tunnel every day. I can go back and have another look if I've got it wrong.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackwall Tunnel Web Site wrote:
Tunnel CLOSED SOUTHBOUND: Sunday to Friday - 9PM to 5AM from 7 Feb 2010 (Friday Nights are OPEN)
Additional Works - CLOSED SOUTHBOUND: Sunday - 1AM to 8AM (Remember this on Saturday Night)
The above two lines ARE CORRECT - as is the information below - what has happened is
that TFL have confused matters with the Northbound traffic going via Southbound tunnel........

The original reason for not allowing contraflow was due to the inability to enforce speed limits and restrict access for HGV (Trucks) - a danger of large vehicles passing regular cars in the tunnel. However this is no longer a problem due to the average speed camera system, height restrictions and the time this all takes place.
We are insisting that if this safety upgrade goes ahead it must allow for contraflow otherwise the disruption is not acceptable.

Note this is for three years and even the TFL have caused confusion but I would say the Specs cameras are for monitoring the traffic flow in exactly the way Skippy has described - Mike
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat me to it.

I was going to come back on this now theyve started closing the tunnel every night.

Still seems confusing. They may be working to catch speeders & again they may not be. Is that correct? Confused

That Blackwall Tunnel website is very good to keep up with whats going on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: