Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Residents take action against satnav map errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Residents take action against satnav map errors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased my first Tomtom in 2005, I found that there was a map error in the road outside my house. I notified Tomtom and Teleatlas at the time, but the error is still present on the latest maps.

Is it quite easy for them to see that I am telling the truth, just by looking at my road on Google Earth.

I don't waste my time notifying them of map errors any more.
sammy21699
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: sat nav errors Reply with quote

Biggest error in Glasgow has to be the North bound Kinston Bridge for at least the last 20 years Northbound traffic has not been able to access the slip road at Jct 19 onto the West bound A814 Clydeside Expressway as there has been a barrier along the full length of the bridge, no matter how many emails to TomTom and Tele Atlas, Both still say slip road is open and is manually checked every two years. Even although it is not really part of motorway system as traffic from the Cook Street on ramp can’t get access onto Northbound M8 as they have to take route through city to join M8 Jct 18 at Charring X, mind you they did take away the RIGHT HAND leapfrog over the barrier 30ft down onto North street through the car park under the bridge then right onto the A804 Newton street to get to the east bound A814 Broomielaw, after years of emails, maybe to many reports of suspension problems?
aleksdeg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: sat nav errors Reply with quote

The satnav companies are bringing this on themselves with their wierd pricing.

On my TomTom map updates aren't free - and you can't even get them for anyting but the current release. I certainly won't buy new hardware or a new version of WM6 software every year just for updated maps (which won't even run on my TyTNII :-(

I can just about cope with the speed camera subscription - I'd probably pay the same for keeping my maps updated...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why should map updates be free? if you have a paper map do they update you every year with a free, up to date version?

MaFt
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If satnav maps were cheaper for users to update, more people would do so. I have a pda running tomtom and bought a map upgrade, but as above, no map updats have been issued for my software since then, and the latest software is incompatible with my pda.

The current £7.95 per quarter sounds more reasonable, but sickeningly it is not available for Navigator 7, the one on a pda. COpilot here I come.

The more I hear of mapshare the less i like it. It will not allow new roads, which is a major downfall. Losing updates each map upgrade is mad, as the maps were usually around 2 years old. I don't know if that has improved but they claimed it took so long to check and compile the data.

Maybe Google will take over TomTom's place as teh prime satnav company.
G3UZF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: South Tidworth Reply with quote

The residents of Ashdown Terrace in South Tidworth can sleep easy in their beds if you have a Trafficmaster SmartNav- it will not route you down this road!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad if you are driving home there ...!
Boyo38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very old post, but I've been searching the Internet and this is the nearest thing I could find to the problem I have.
I live on a short dead end, about upto half a dozen times a day, vehicles get directed by sat nav upto my house. People regularly knock on the door to ask directions. It's starting to drive me up the wall.
Could someone help me with? Where and what would be my first port of call to do something about this?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's the postcode which is giving the problem. Perhaps there's a shortcut footpath for the postman to use to get into or from the next road/street? Postcodes generally cover routes which a postman walks and I once knew one which was for a property which was far better suited to another postcode.

One idea would be to contact your council's highways department to persuade them to put a dead end sign at the end of the road and perhaps a sign saying your Street/Road name and the house numbers served by it, so that they can see it doesn't lead to wherever they are aiming.

Or, next time it happens, find out how they came by that location and if it's postcode, then grumble at Royal Mail to get a different postcode for that destination. That will hopefully feed into the various satnav maps data and be corrected - in the fullness of time though!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: