Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - anyone got the gpsmap76cs yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone got the gpsmap76cs yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: anyone got the gpsmap76cs yet? Reply with quote

if so how is it? would you recommend and where did you buy it from

cheers

matt
owl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone got the gpsmap76cs yet? Reply with quote

matty2767 wrote:
if so how is it? would you recommend and where did you buy it from

I bought the 76C a couple of days ago. I decided that I do not need the 76CS with the electronic compass (compass operational even when not moving) and the barometric sensor. My thinking was that I will always know my bearing by seeing the map and comparing it to the surroundings -- and in my boat I have separate compass anyway. Barometer would be a nice gizmo, but it will not relieve me from listening to weather forecasts anyway. The electronic compass would also hog more battery power.

Anyways, in every other way 76C is identical to 76CS and even if I have limited experience on GPS devices (this is the first that I can call my own), I am satisfied. I carefully went trough several models and chose this brand and model after seeing many feature comparisons, user testimonials etc.

If you have any prior experience on Garmin products, especially the 60C, in many ways it is identical to 76C -- actually the shop I bought this from (Helsinki, Finland) gave me a 60C Finnish operation manual in addition to the english one in the box. They did not have a Finnish translation for 76C yet (not that I would need one), but so identical they are in operation and features, that the manuals were practically interchangeable.

One good improvement definitely to 60C is the doubled 115MB of memory in 76C, which is always nice. I also like the more orthogonal design, as it makes it more like a GPS and not like a mobile phone.

I have not yet purchased any actual maps or charts for my GPS and naturally this has limited the testing greatly (it has a rough world map with major roads inbuilt). GPS device is in many ways as good as the map information is. I am still contemplating what areas I should buy as they are pretty expensive. I start my boating season later this year, so I still have time to decide. I will know more after I have the charts and some testing done in real use.

-Owl
Billbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had the 76CS since the end of May. Purchased it from Ask Electronics in Tot'ham Ct Roadfor £464. The lowest (UK dealer) price I saw on the net was £438 at www.mesltd.co.uk, but they and most other dealers at the time had none in stock. I also purchased the Auto Nav kit for the 60c/cs which included Cityselect Europe for £160. Ask helpfully changed the mounting bracket for the 76cs one for free.

It is my first GPS so not really qualified to give any useful feedback yet as still getting to grips with the functionality. However, I was looking for a Handheld GPS that would do everything (Auto, Marine (fishing), Hill Walking etc.

To date have only used it for Auto, which has definately lived upto expectations. I had misgivings about the size of the screen and how easy/safe it would be to follow when driving. It is very easy to follow, especially when using 'Highway' Mode.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: