Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which plug?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which plug?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinafare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Which plug? Reply with quote

Hi all just joined the forums today.
I have a Go530 and need some advice.

I have recently purchased a new car which has a cigarette lighter and a 12v adapter and am not sure which to use for the satnav. Would the 12v be too powerful.

Thank you Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, you must use the charger lead that was supplied with the device, this will work fine plugged in to a 12V socket on the car, DO NOT even apply more than 5V directly to a TomTom unless you really want to create rather expensive smoke - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Which plug? Reply with quote

erinafare wrote:

I have recently purchased a new car which has a cigarette lighter and a 12v adapter and am not sure which to use for the satnav. Would the 12v be too powerful.

BOTH of those sockets provide 12V power, so either would do so long as the TomTom charging lead fits into them.

The "lead" for the TomTom is actually a power supply that reduces the 12V from the car supply down to 5V for the TomTom.
So whatever socket or other wiring solution you choose, the original TomTom power cable MUST be the last link in the chain.
erinafare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Which plug? Reply with quote

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

The reason for my query was that I have been using the 12v plug with the supplied lead when the satnav screen went blank but I had good old Simon still giving me instructions. I have only had the unit for about thirty days and it had only been used about five times. Halfords have only a 28 day exchange so they have sent it back to Tom Tom. I thought I may have been using the wrong plug and that had caused the problem.

Thank you
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rather stupid power save option in Change Preferences/ Battery Saving Preferences that lets you dim the screen between instructions, if this has been set then it might explain why the device was dropping the screen backlight after a short period, it should have switched back on though for the next navigation instruction - The only reason for this option to be on the device IMHO is so the manufacturer can quote stupidly long durations for battery life, in real use you would never use it this way - Mike
erinafare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Which plug? Reply with quote

Thanks all
I will post outcome when device is returned from Tom Tom in case it is helpful to other users.

Very Happy
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes my blood boil when I read such problems. No matter what the company "policy" is they know damn well that under the sale of goods act you have a right to reject the goods as clearly unfit for purpose, and demand your money back. You can then use this money to buy a replacement if you wish. They keep fobbing customers off with rubbish about only 28 days replacement, in the hope that you will fall for it and "agree" to a repair, rather than your legal rights.

Your contract is with the supplier, not the manufacturer, but they always seem to try to weasel out of their responsibilities.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There is a rather stupid power save option in Change Preferences/ Battery Saving Preferences that lets you dim the screen between instructions, if this has been set then it might explain why the device was dropping the screen backlight after a short period, it should have switched back on though for the next navigation instruction - The only reason for this option to be on the device IMHO is so the manufacturer can quote stupidly long durations for battery life, in real use you would never use it this way - Mike

It saved the day for me when I had a hire car with a faulty cigar lighter socket. It's amazing how long the battery will last. I managed a six hour journey using a GO510 in this mode when I could only charge it on mains power at the begining of the day.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
It saved the day for me when I had a hire car with a faulty cigar lighter socket.

Its one of the first things I check on a hire car and if its faulty I refuse the vehicle unless they can fix the supply - I have done this on more than one occasion Wink - Mike
erinafare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Go530 now back from TT.
New backlight and battery fitted.
Screen does look a lot sharper.
Or it could be that I have cleaned my glasses.
Not very good for a unit that was only a month old and only used about five times and never on battery power only.

Bye
Chris

Go 1005
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its one of the first things I check on a hire car

Hi Mike
I have used many hire cars and have never thought to check to see if the cigar lighter was working. However, I most certainly will from this day on.
I did once hire a car and had to spend half hour scanning the drivers manual before I could find where the cigar lighter was hidden. The anti- smoking and health and Safety folk really had excelled their selves on that occasion.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Its one of the first things I check on a hire car ...

Checking the cigar lighter was the last thing on my mind. This was the first time I had driven in America, it was the first time I had driven a car with an automatic gearbox and I had picked the car up in the middle of Boston, MA. Not the easiest place to drive a new vehicle on the "wrong" side of the road but we had a couple of hours drive to the Motel that we had booked for the first night.

I will take your advice next time though. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: