Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have a couple of Tom Tom GO questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have a couple of Tom Tom GO questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drnh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Have a couple of Tom Tom GO questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I`m brand new to this and have read all the comments posted.

After seeing the Tom Tom GO unit about 2 weeks ago i`ve decided i want one but need to clarify a few things............

1) Can you install or does it come with safety camera warnings?

2) When you buy the unit do you get some sort of subscription to Tom Tom to install the newest maps (UK) for a set time etc?

3) Is it accurate? I`ve read a couple of reviews now telling me that the unti is unreliable.

4) Are you able to plug i a better GPS antenna to increase the satellite signal or does it`s internal antenna do a good enough job?

Think thats it

Thanks for your help Thumbs Up
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1, No not yet, hopefully soon though.
2, No, but if you register the product you will be sent any updates etc by e-mail notification for downloading via TomTom site.
3,Yes, it is as accurate as my 2210 ipaq TT3 set up.
4, Yes you can get a re radiating antenna it explains this in the box and manual that you get with the product.
Hope this helps.
The only gripe i have is that with the supplied mount it is a right ba***rd to get a good position in the new Mondeo, it is either too high or if you use the screen sucker it seems like the screen is miles away, or maybe im an old who needs my eyes tested!!.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The current public release 4.21 I believe does not support loading of Custom POI's, but the release I am testing actually does, so hopefully it won't be long before you can use things like our Speed Camera database with GO! The release to support customisable POI's is expected by the end of the summer.

OZ wrote:
The only gripe i have is that with the supplied mount it is a right ba***rd to get a good position in the new Mondeo, it is either too high or if you use the screen sucker it seems like the screen is miles away, or maybe im an old who needs my eyes tested!!.

Tell me, is putting GO onto the mount still extremely hard to get it to lock into place ? Our pre-production models had this problem but we haven't see a production model yet, TomTom did say they had rectified this problem as you have to push down hard with all your force to get it to clip in and lock into the mount. The mount because it has a small arm does need to be positioned like the Navman iCN's towards the back of the windscreen if you want to rest GO on the dashboard. Have you tried using GO upside down ? In theory there's nothing stopping you, but I'd suggest you still rest GO on the dashboard for stability. Might give this a try because in theory it means you can mount GO higher up on the windscreen and get it a little closer to you. I tend to mount GO in the center of the car and have it angled towards me, but I do find a lot of reflection on the screen.

How are you finding the reflection ?
Wonderwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive put mine on the dash using the sticky pad provided, Its straight in front of me to the left a little and I dont get any reflection...only thing they could do it make the tab to free the suction part "the clear bit" a little longer as its a bit hard to locate,and you need to tug it to break the seal,,but out from that this things awsome!!!...even got the m6 toll!! YAYYY!!!!!
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Firstly great news about the custom poi's, speed camera database will be a bonus.
The locking mechanism seems fine, it took me a while to realise the release button (next to the sd card) was actually a release button for the unit and not an eject for the card!! - idiot!!. If you dont use the button then you stuff around like nobodys business.
As for mounting, what i've done now is use the sticky base with the other square shaped sticky base from the 2210 tomtom car kit, just so that it sits the cradle base up a little to clear the rim of the round baseplate.
On the 2210 base there is a screw hole that the adjuster wheel from the Go mount will screw into. So i now have a very good and solid mount next to me at a good height, right next to the speedo cowl. as i am a molly dooker that's a left hander to you lot, it fits the bill well.
Reflection, what a pain, although this new position has cut it down drastically. Now all i need to do is sort out the grubby paw marks on the screen.
I dont wish to be hasty but that bad review what some other party gave, that was highlighted on these forums was quite mystifying, ok, not everyone is going to bang the drum but so far i feel TomTom have done a very good job with this. The routing seems rather good. Just did Lewes to bottom of beachy Head and it actually sent me through Alfriston and Lullington coming out at Seven Sisters which any local would know, is the way to go. So Yes, all seems rosy in the paddock.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: