Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to install both UK (mph) and Europe (kph) on Garmin Unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to install both UK (mph) and Europe (kph) on Garmin Unit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the garmin own speed camera file called that is installed as standard ?

Where is this stored on unit.

Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in Garmin\Poi folder and are called *Cyclops.gpi where * is the name of the country it covers.

i.e. BeluxCyclops.gpi or FranceCyclops.gpi

The free sample database is called

BeluxCyclopsSample.gpi etc
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks

Robin...
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just checking on my unit (765T) and the cyclops data is called for example uk UKCyclopsSample.gpi as you indicated.

File size is 552KB.

The fact that it says sample does that mean it is not complete ?

There is no creation date on the file.

Is it actually worth having these cyclops files on the garmin ?

or is it better going with a third party.

Thanks

Robin...
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are incomplete (at least they were on my 660 when bought new)! Not to mention out of date.

Now where would I recommend for an excellent camera database? Hmmm.... let me think......

OK - sign up for the one here - it is by far the best, most accurate and regularly updated safety camera database around. There's a discounted membership fee if you hurry (£16.99 for the year) usually it's £19. And if you are first to spot and get credited with a new camera inclusion - you get membership free for life Shocked

Cheaper than anything else, more accurate.... Am I biased? Possibly - but I did choose to join here Laughing
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The samples file may have been complete at the time of installation (i.e. when the unit was made) If you activate the free trial you get the proper files without sample in them.

The database is far from complete by any means. See this thread for a few reason why you are better off choosing the PGPSW database.
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me Spain then France, rest of mainland EU & lastly UK are more important to have accurate camera database. (as living now in sunny spain :-) )

Not sure I can get trial membership of cyclops stuff as it requires Internet Explorer 5 or above to work, I use a apple mac so thats out of the question.

How upto date is Spain pocket GPS database ?

I know the UK one is fine as used it a lot when in UK in the past (pre payment days).

Thanks

Robin...
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does anyone know if this method ie two poi files will work for the "Mobile XT" version. Many Thanks.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamwolfe wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone know if this method ie two poi files will work for the "Mobile XT" version. Many Thanks.

2 months later, but yes it will...!
ark507
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I read the opening post and jumped to the end as I consider the other posts as people being too cautious.

I have a StreetPilotC510 and didn't wish to get confused over how to name what and upload it where. I thought it was straight forward.

I uploaded the UK database in the usual way, included in my POI folder. Simples, as Alexei would say.

Then I loaded the EU speed camera database into my expansion slot, where I have also stored my EU maps. Plus, of course, I entered the new information with metric measurements.

I don't wish to ruffle feathers, but if people read what to do more intently, the solution is clear, no matter what device. Usually, most Garmin users will be aware that the camera database must be included with other POIs. So, to add another format it is obvious that it must be in a different location than the unit's basic Db. Therefore the new information has to go into another location on the unit's hard drive (if there is sufficient roo), or the expansion card.

No instructions will ever be completely fool-proof. There is no legislating for what people may do. However, after reading the instructions twice to make certain I had the gist of the message, I found it crystal clear.

For which, I thank the original poster profusely.

And I am ready to consume copious amounts of Humble Pie if, after my drive to southern Spain and back, I discover that it is me that is at fault for over-simplifying things.

Again, thanks.
gullrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: SD card Reply with quote

Just bought n SD card for my Nuvi 250 so that I can put all my POIs on to it for safety, but don't know how to do this. I am ok loading POIs using POI loader but would like some help as to how to use the SD card please.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have the card inserted when running POILoader. When you get to the 3rd screen you'll have a choice of where to save the POIs. There should be a choice between the SD Card and the Internal Memory. Choose the SD Card and continue as normal.
gullrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds easy thank you for your prompt reply
gullrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again I am afraid and a bit desperate for some help!!!!!!

Got the new SD card and it shows up in POI loader ok. I have 2 problems now-

1. I have put a selection of folders and file into my UPLOAD folder and try to upload them to the sat nav and then the POI loader disappears and nothing happens, however if I only upload a few folders it does work but when I try and upload a few more then they replace the previous ones as expected. Can I rename the folders to stop this happening?

2. I have various folders in my upload folder each containing POIs named "accommodation" - "Aires" - "LPG" - "Pocketworld GPS" and so on. When I upload any of the folders the contents of each folder is split further i.e. "accommodation" becomes "Premier Inn" - Travel Lodge" etc etc. I would really like to to load these so the folder name such as "accommodation" is displayed and then within each folder the sub-folder for Premier Inn or Travel Lodge etc.

Hope that it is not too comploicated and that I have explained myself ok too!

Richard
mjbwatson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Garmin BMW navigator III Reply with quote

I've been reading the posts regarding having both a UK database and a European database on the GPS device at the same time. Unfortunately, one cannot use Windows Explorer to access the Navigator III. Has anybody achieved the desired result of both a UK database and a European database on a Navigator III (or Garmin StreetPilot 2820, on whivh the BMW unit is based) and, if so, how?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: